Trust Or Sort Of.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you went to your local bar and met a guy and after a week he asked for a loan would you give it to him :unsure: . You will be asked many many times for money here and no doubt for whatever reasons you probably will loan another expat or local some money, after awhile you will find this new word that helps you avoid these situations, it's NO,best get it into your vocabulary, it will save you a lot of grief.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 3

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Hmm..got me thinking..i do need stake knives ;)

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

If you went to your local bar and met a guy and after a week he asked for a loan would you give it to him :unsure: . You will be asked many many times for money here and no doubt for whatever reasons you probably will loan another expat or local some money, after awhile you will find this new word that helps you avoid these situations, it's NO,best get it into your vocabulary, it will save you a lot of grief.

Don't believe Tom mate, I actually own the Mactan bridge, I'll show you a deal too good to be true Friday night  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Don't believe Tom mate, I actually own the Mactan bridge, I'll show you a deal too good to be true Friday night  :thumbsup:

Uh-ha, which one?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
i want to believe all expats would be like brothers of sorts

That can be the case.  Just throw a party with free 'foreigner type' food and watch all your 'brothers' come out of hiding.  Or go to the bar and listen to your 'brothers' tell you all the stories to guide you on your journey.  Or offer a free room for the night to help out a 'brother' and notice how often it is filled. 

But the real reason for my cynicism is how many foreigners will work to establish your trust before shooting you a line of bull on some investment scheme where they are in partnership with some filipino scammer who is paying them a commission.  One of the current scams is hospitals.  It is hard to believe how many 'hospitals' are 'being built'  all over the Philippines.  Some in the most remote and obscure places.  And YOU can be guaranteed care for life if you invest and become a part owner.  The scam is they buy the land, get the permits, break ground, and in some cases start a building but it never gets further than that.  When the 'investors' stop rolling in the construction stops.

• Like 2

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Ok this just keeps getting better..i can get the bridge and the hospital treatment and the steak knives?,? This almost as goid as sham wow..lol

Hmmm.so if i fall off the bridge and land on the steak knives i have a hospital bed.got it..now all i need is a pinay..sign me up ;)

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well they really are planning to build a new bridge from Cebu to Cordova, so you might be able to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, I am sure they are looking for backers, especially rich expats :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The proper definition of trust might keep you out of trouble. Despite what the dictionary or encyclopedia might say, the definition of trust is "The condition which must exist before you can be betrayed". :thumbsup:

Even with a partner there is that old saying that sort of goes "I only trust me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee". :tiphat:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

It has just struck me that I have arrived back in London today after three weeks in Mindanao and Negros during which I did not speak to a single expat - emailed and texted a couple but no face to face contact or telephone call with an expat at all. I hadn't actually noticed!   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I agree... if it's too good to be true, run as fast as you can. There are many expats that have good intentions. However, there quite a few who best be stayed away from. Never lend any money to anyone. When you first come here to live, you will beset with "opportunities"; business investments (scam), house for sale (no clear title), land for sale (doesn't own or no clear title), I love you within 5 minutes of meeting someone (gold digger) and the list goes on..... Never never rush into anything here. If you get a bad feeling about something, listen to your gut. It usually is right even when you can't translate what is being said. 

Some new expats latch onto other expats thinking that they have a common bond and will look out for each other. I would go with a pleasant attitude but do not trust anyone here until you have had plenty of time to make some observations. 

I see quite few expats who do not look like people I would trust.  Yes, that is prejudice based how they look and dress.  We all have to make that judgement when we see or meet someone new.  Probably completely wrong many times but you have to trust your instincts.  If I get to know them then I can reverse my opinion if needed.

BTW, Jon, I promise I will get you that $20 I owe you by next week at the latest.  I inherited some money and the check should be here soon.

• Like 1