New Car Warranties In The Philippines

intrepid
Posted
Posted
But has anyone actually contacted the manufacturer to ensure this is true?

My friend got his information from all the dealers he shopped for a new vehicle.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This is Philippines.  Whatever information you get here will probably be valid but your mileage WILL vary.

For me, the new car is the way to go.  I will drive a motorcycle while I save for one rather than financing it.  I don't buy it for the warranty but rather for the increased probability that it will get me where I want to go with the least amount of problems.  I had a bad experience with a new car and the warranty work in Canada and found out that even the manufacturer will pass the buck whenever possible so I don't depend on them anymore (The vehicle was a Dodge Durango and required towing to get the warranty work done.  Chrysler said it was the tow truck company that screwed up the car.  Tow truck company says it was that way when we picked it up .  blah blah  Warranties are not as good as people think they are.)

As in all other things Philippines you must make your decision, hope for the best, and plan for the worst.  Good luck.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

After I wrote my last post on here, I started to look at the manufacturers and what they say. Basically, it comes down to proving that the maintenance with was carried out. So unless you're going to sit there with a camera... Even adding a dash cam may void your warranty for some manufacturers... Hint: Peugeot... And maybe yours so check it out! Anyway, the warranty is issued by the manufacturer. If you're not happy with what your dealer tells you, contact your manufacturer's warranty department independently - don't tell the dealer you are doing this! See if they will agree to what you want to do... And get it in writing!

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

When looking to buy a used vehicle one thing I always do is bring a flashlight and have a look into the oil filler hole. If the engine interior looks clean it means the oil has been changed regularly. If I see baked-on crud I consider that to be a bad omen.

Taking a for-sale vehicle to a trustworthy mechanic to have it checked out is a good idea.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Putting a shiny brand new vehicle on the crap roads (and drivers) would not be my choice.

Here in Subic we have fairly good driving conditions, which is a key reason I live here.

High on my list is a truck based SUV. The ride might not be as soft but the truck frame is heavy duty and will last a long time over lots of potholes. The diesels will last forever if you take care of them. Also leaning towards something larger and with more safety features due to the added protection it will give my family.

I have a friend in Subic who has the Ford Everest SUV - he bought new and it's three years old and still looks good and he loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Methersgate

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I have a friend in Subic who has the Ford Everest SUV - he bought new and it's three years old and still looks good and he loves it.

Yes, they are solid and I have friends who like theirs, but they only get about 7 km/l on their daily round trip to school of about 50 km.  The styling is way overdue for an update and I saw a concept version of a new one to be released in 2015 that was very nice looking, but it must be delayed.  I think they have updated all the other Fords except the Everest.  The new Explorer is a great vehicle but out of my price range.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I'm sure there is a good reason why the three liter diesel in my friend's Ford Everest gives 143 hp and the 2.2 liter diesel in my Ford Mondeo gives 198hp... but I have no idea what it might be. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I started to look at the manufacturers and what they say. Basically, it comes down to proving that the maintenance with was carried out.

Are you talking about manufacturers in the US / CA?

In the U.S. it is illegal for a warranty to require preventative maintenance to be at the dealer in order for the warranty to be valid.  So you can take it anywhere for PM and the warranty should still valid as long as you have your records straight.  Of course warranty work must be done at the dealer.

I don't think that is the case here in PH, based on what I am being told.  They are saying the warranty requires PM to be done at the dealer.  I have not seen it in writing.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm sure there is a good reason why the three liter diesel in my friend's Ford Everest gives 143 hp and the 2.2 liter diesel in my Ford Mondeo gives 198hp... but I have no idea what it might be. 

If he has the 3.0 it currently has a bit more, 156 w/ 380 nm torque.  You are right, that doesn't make a lot of sense and those numbers are not competitive.  Hyundai and Kia diesels kick out far more than that, as well as the others.

deevey
Posted
Posted

After I wrote my last post on here, I started to look at the manufacturers and what they say. Basically, it comes down to proving that the maintenance with was carried out. So unless you're going to sit there with a camera... Even adding a dash cam may void your warranty for some manufacturers... Hint: Peugeot... And maybe yours so check it out! Anyway, the warranty is issued by the manufacturer. If you're not happy with what your dealer tells you, contact your manufacturer's warranty department independently - don't tell the dealer you are doing this! See if they will agree to what you want to do... And get it in writing!

Yep 100% true .. 

You can void your warranty over here by simply buying aftermarket Mags/Tyres ... any aftermarket modification whatsoever could be used as an excuse if it was not carried out by the dealer and in writing that the modifications will not affect the warranty.