Retirement - Is Philippines The Answer

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good morning all.

To answer the question, I should really provide the question. For me it was to come here\with

my gf to assess whether Phils is where we want to retire. Our focus is North Luzon, her

home location Illocos Sur, but far enough for space I think you all know what I mean there.

We came firstly to Vigan and today will move to Laoag for a few days. I know this is never

enough time in a place, but with Vigan it was. Too small and lacking in sufficient infra

structure for what I am seeking and very few westerners. The two I met though Chris a member

and his mate Tony, great guys.

Beautiful buildings here with Spanish influence everywhere. But that is not a sufficient

reason to decide on this place for retirement.

Laoag is larger town so am keen to see what it has to offer. It is a Catch 22 at our age, we

want facilities particularly medical facilities, supermarkets, I like a few bars where I can

meet some fellow westerners, for a chat and discuss the general bullsh&t we love to do!!

So if there are any members in Laoag over the next couple of days, I would love to catch

up and get first hand information about Laoag. I am told there are a few that gather at

McDonalds (thats a worry and indicates there is a bar lacking there), mornings about 9am?

I will go there certainly Saturday morning and will wear my red Taylor Made cap.

My initial thoughts but not limiting it, as we have a long way to go, is that finding the

right place to settle down to what will be my last digs will not be easy. Also have to

think of my wonderful gf and ensure she is happy also with any decision.

Looking forward tomaybe hearing from some members for a catch up,

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
It is a Catch 22 at our age, we want facilities particularly medical facilities,

There are two cities that have good hospitals, Cebu City or Manila. Manila has the best but not up to world class standards. Wealthy Filipinos go to Hong Kong or the States for serious medical procedures. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Wealthy Filipinos go to Hong Kong or the States

As can be proved by the number of politicians under indictment who get a special court order to fly to the states for treatment :1 (103): . 

We use Asian Hospital in Alabang, (southern manila). Seems 1st class to me. In fact that is where the vice governor who "accidently" shot himself was treated.

The sad fact is chances are that by retiring to the Philippines you are probably lowering your life expectancy. Unless you live very, very close to a hospital and have a heart attack, you'll probably die in traffic :hystery: .

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

There is a new Medical City hospital at Clark. I have heard that it is comparable to the one in Ortigas (Manila). That is my primary choice at this point. I have been all the way up to Pagudpud and did not see anything up there that could hold me there. There are lots of expats in the Subic and Angeles area. I chose the Subic Freeport as I am not into the girlie bar scene. There are condos in Clark also. 

One thing that I have learned is these women adapt easily. When we first moved to the Subic Freeport, at first my wife was "bored". It was too quiet (no roosters, trikes, jeeps, kareoke, et al) and the neighbors keep to themselves (a lot like some places in the US). Now she realizes that it is not quiet but peaceful. After she spends less than a week in her hometown she is more than ready to come to the peace and quiet and stable power.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
For me it was to come here\with my gf to assess whether Phils is where we want to retire. Our focus is North Luzon, her home location Illocos Sur, but far enough for space I think you all know what I mean there.
Cities are not my cup of tea,

but with some distance to Ilocos Sur you have Baguio, which many foreigners like.

I have heared the Rosario mayor is progressive, but aiming at OFW Filipinos, so I don't know if it's good for foreigners there.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Well that echoes the sentiment of other visitors. They rave about the place on the first day and by the end of Day 2, they have had enough. Central Vigan City is 3-4 moderate size city blocks. As someone else said, you could cover it in half a day.

It's a tourist and Fiesta center and it is more of a local Ilocano thing. it does attract visitors passing through. Again they would stay only 1-2 nights. As my late mother used to say "that was Paris on your left" on her European tour which she rated dead boring.

On the other hand for Mogo, he had to see it for himself, which he did. They are currently very well set up in Thailand, so factor that in. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There are two cities that have good hospitals, Cebu City or Manila. Manila has the best but not up to world class standards

Some living in other cities would disagree.  I am happy happy with the hospital in Dumaguete (its not perfect but I am happy) and I have never heard complains about Davao hospitals.  Chong Hua in Cebu has world class facilities.  There may be better hospitals in the world but the majority of members here could never afford them.  Not all the facilities at Chong Hua are top shelf but the high level treatment is there if you arrive with money and tell them to fix what ails you.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

There is a new Medical City hospital at Clark. I have heard that it is comparable to the one in Ortigas (Manila). That is my primary choice at this point. I have been all the way up to Pagudpud and did not see anything up there that could hold me there. There are lots of expats in the Subic and Angeles area. I chose the Subic Freeport as I am not into the girlie bar scene. There are condos in Clark also. 

One thing that I have learned is these women adapt easily. When we first moved to the Subic Freeport, at first my wife was "bored". It was too quiet (no roosters, trikes, jeeps, kareoke, et al) and the neighbors keep to themselves (a lot like some places in the US). Now she realizes that it is not quiet but peaceful. After she spends less than a week in her hometown she is more than ready to come to the peace and quiet and stable power.

Do you know what sort of rent is paid in the Condos in Subic Freeport. I am realising more each day that may be the

the only answer. Just one b/room one level hopefully

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

For me it was to come here\with my gf to assess whether Phils is where we want to retire. Our focus is North Luzon, her home location Illocos Sur, but far enough for space I think you all know what I mean there.
Cities are not my cup of tea,

but with some distance to Ilocos Sur you have Baguio, which many foreigners like.

I have heared the Rosario mayor is progressive, but aiming at OFW Filipinos, so I don't know if it's good for foreigners there.

Thomas, Mogo51, others, Mogo Man is good guide because he's coming in fresh, open minded.

Bagiuo has been the favored destination for Filipino's and  foreigners since WW2 and even before. However about 20 years ago Baguio started to attract large numbers of Koreans and Chinese and the demograhics changed. Baguio is on a hillside and it is totally overcrowded, no room for expansion. The reality is that the place is dirty, overcrowded, a traffic control nightmare. Even in the unique Sisters Market the pedestrian traffic is so heavy, heavy enough to make walking around difficult.  Like Quiapo, Manila on Sunday's and religious holidays.

Cashed up and clued in Filipino's now go to Tagaytay. And even that is confusing because Tagaytay Highlands is the real desirable area currently PAUSE: if you have 10M pesos for a "starter" home.

Where I live 11km north of Vigan is a remote isolated backwater. Very few foreigners, one less since Da Mogo Man left :lol:  :lol:. Yet we have our own beach, own land, own house and I love the place and since I came here with Gina, 3.5 years ago, I have never wanted to leave, even for a day. One man's cup of tea, is like poison to another.

The reality. There are hundred's of people in Thailand and the Phils who will tell you, I wish I had gone to XXXX, the exact opposite of where they are currently living.  Part of human nature, I guess.

About 30 years ago and for a span of 10 years  I went to  Thailand from Saudi for vacations, even extended vacations.  I knew Rick and the guys from the old Grand Prix in Patpong. For R & R they would frequently go to Manila where they all had  Filipina girlfriends. It was hard to figure out, really. But I think I understand it now.

Back to me. I have an amazing circle of friends, all Filipino, my bike club (plus my mate Tony). There are 25 cyclists coming here at 9 AM umaga, to see my condition after broken arm and to eat miki miki. Gina and her bro will be up cooking at 6 AM.

It's horses for courses all the way imo.

But I will add, the usual fanatical attraction to Vigan, wears off after 2 days. 

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
I am told there are a few that gather at McDonalds (thats a worry and indicates there is a bar lacking there), mornings about 9am?

Mogo,

I would be more worried if at 9am, there was bars open.  :cheersty:

• Like 1