Career Relocation; Any Insight Welcome

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Not sure if I'd like that on daily basis, I'm more of a... cant find the word, but I have a different managerial approach.

You may need to change your managerial approach to match the culture rather than expecting the culture to change to match your approach.  Can you do that?

People will treat you as nobility because, as management with that kind of money you will be about that class.  Get used to it.  Expect it.  If you let people disrespect you then you will get nothing done here.  Compassion is weakness.  Telling people they have done well gives them permission to slack off and then you wonder why they are not working hard for you any more.

I am sure you can adapt but you need to be sure you want to adapt and not bring your style with you.  There are only my observations and your experience will vary.

About girls.  You will meet scammers, and gold diggers AND nice girls.  Its up to you to know the difference and know what you want.  This place can be heaven or it can be hell.  Its always up to you.

• Like 1

Undecided
Posted
Posted

In this case, I just find it surprising that the difference is SO significant. I thought the difference between Europe and the USA is the biggest I'll ever handle personally, but I'm up to the challenge.

Of course I understand that it is me that needs to adapt, not the other way around. I'm definitely capable and have done that in the past, managing in different regions- The management approach for Swedes is different than the one used with a Frenchman and so on, as well as different employees have different personalities and baggage therefor requires different approach even if from same country.

Employees are a matter to handle with care in any way or region you look at. 

20,000p for electricity? Isn't that crazy expensive, even in our terms? In any way, I am not the one paying for it but it just makes me upset to hear.

Are there any other significantly expenses that I should know of, and take into consideration?

• Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Are there any other significantly expenses that I should know of, and take into consideration?

Bar bills. Seriously, you'll be fine, financially. Be wary of betting on Spider Fights!

Thomas
Posted
Posted
1. Taxes in home country- Paid for.
In SOME cases foreigners working for foreign companies can get only 15 % income tax.  That's much lower than if you tax in Sweden...   :)

That's worth checking.

People will treat you as nobility because, as management with that kind of money you will be about that class. Get used to it. Expect it. If you let people disrespect you then you will get nothing done here. Compassion is weakness. Telling people they have done well gives them permission to slack off and then you wonder why they are not working hard for you any more.
Yes (kind of.)  But DON'T tell a SPECIFIC Filipino so any OTHER hear it  ="Lose face"    That's VERY sensitive among Filipinos, some even kill of that reason...

bows00
Posted
Posted

As for living in Makati, well, it's not for everyone. I find it too congested and full of pollution. I would visit first and see if you can tolerate the city.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Am I the only person who considers USD4,500 per month, for a senior management position (even with the benefit package) to be absolute peanuts?

Ignoring that side of it for now I'd bite their hand off for the chance to live expenses paid in Asia, especially if young, free and single!

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Am I the only person who considers USD4,500 per month, for a senior management position (even with the benefit package) to be absolute peanuts?

For a very junior management position 4500 is chump change.  Bi weekly perhaps w/ a liberal expense acct. :cheersty:  :999:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For a very junior management position 4500 is chump change.  Bi weekly perhaps w/ a liberal expense acct. :cheersty:  :999:

For the type of business I believe he is in, I think he's actually ahead of the game!   But without knowing for sure?  It's a guess!  Either way, all expenses paid + that amount is comparable to many junior executive positions if offered the same at home!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I don't think anyone would do the Job for that money in the West but i think we have to accept that western Companies are sometimes leaned on by the DOLE and other Agencies to make packages attractive based on Local Salary rates. the package comes with Accommodation and full payment of Bills etc, Something that a national would not get. Also we have to remember that the Work permit issue has to be thought about. Could this job be done by a national? that is the basis of allowing anyone to work here. Offering that something Special. So  Bearing in mind this, the company are  (To me) Obviously keeping their guard up on Salary Structure to get their man the Job. Otherwise as just a Middle/Senior Management Position, they may be forced to rethink. What happens with Bonuses and productivity payments well, that is another Story.

JMHO of course. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Morning All :morning1:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Yep, you are.  By Philippine wage standards I would suggest its fine.  Especially when the president of the Philippines only makes 120,000 pesos per month which is 2/3 of the wage mentioned here.