Philhealth Update

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

There have been many threads where Philhealth was discussed.  Two questions were usually hanging:

1.  Can a foreigner get Philhealth, especially one on a tourist visa?  General consensus is Yes.

2.  Will the hospital honor a claim by a foreigner?  Nobody knows for sure.  Depends on their interpretation.

I ran across a couple of things related to this on the Philhealth website.  It seems to be moving in the right direction and it should be getting harder for a Philhealth accredited medical facility to turn down a foreigner who has proper coverage.

Regarding enrollment of a foreigner:

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/informal/member.html

Citizens of other countries working and/or residing in the Philippines

- foreign citizens with valid working permits and/or Alien Certificate of Registrations (ACRs), working and/or residing in the Philippines

Regarding PRA support:

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2015/pra_ties.html

PhilHealth forges ties with PRA for the Enrolment of Foreign NationalsMay 21, 2015
  • pra_ties.jpg
  • Padilla (3rd from right) and Atienza (3rd from left)present the signed MoU to the public. Also in photo are (L-R): PRA Department Managers Noehl D. Bautista and Orlando H. Habitan, PhilHealth Executive Vice President – Chief Operating Officer Ramon F. Aristoza Jr. and Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Executive Atty. Edgar Julio S. Asuncion.

The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) will soon provide health care benefits to foreign nationals and former Filipinos who wish to retire in the country.

This development came about as it formally signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Philippine Retirement Authority in Pasig City.

Under the agreement, the PRA will facilitate the enrolment of foreign nationals under the Informal Economy member-category of PhilHealth.

The MoU aims to further strengthen the collaboration between the two agencies to promote the country as a retirement haven to qualified foreigners as support to PhilHealth’s thrust towards Kalusugan Pangkalahatan (KP).

• pra_ties2.jpg
  • Padilla (right) and Atienza (left) are engaged in a light banter after the MoU signing.

“We intend to cover each and every Filipino, retiree man ‘yan o hindi, dayuhan man ‘yan o Pilipino... I think PRA will help us gain 100 percent coverage which is PhilHealth’s mandate,” said PhilHealth President and CEO Alexander A. Padilla.

PRA General Manager and CEO Veredigno P. Atienza, on the other hand, thanked PhilHealth for its support to help the agency attract more foreign nationals to permanently reside, retire and invest in the country.

PhilHealth and PRA are set to meet next month to establish a Technical Working Group that will work on the details of the agreement provisions that will form part of its Implementing Rules and Regulations. (END)

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Anyone can get Phillhealth and I have never heard of a hospital who are accredited refusing payment.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The people running PhilHealth realize that many expats live in the Philippines yet exist as a tourist visa (with renewals) for years sometimes...  Yes, as long as we have the ACR Card, we are all eligible for PhilHealth!

A few months back, there was a news report of one of the "better" private hospitals refusing to accept PhilHealth on occasion.  About a month later, there was news reports of the same hospital facing a review of accreditation for both the hospital and all the doctors who practiced there...  A couple days later there was another news report of the same hospital changing their method of billing PhilHealth which would bring them in-line with the established procedures...  As far as I know, the accreditation review was never carried out and has been cancelled...  I also have a funny suspicion that a certain hospital administration is thankful that they still have their jobs...  Hehe!

:dance:  :mocking:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The people running PhilHealth realize that many expats live in the Philippines yet exist as a tourist visa (with renewals) for years sometimes...  Yes, as long as we have the ACR Card, we are all eligible for PhilHealth!

A few months back, there was a news report of one of the "better" private hospitals refusing to accept PhilHealth on occasion.  About a month later, there was news reports of the same hospital facing a review of accreditation for both the hospital and all the doctors who practiced there...  A couple days later there was another news report of the same hospital changing their method of billing PhilHealth which would bring them in-line with the established procedures...  As far as I know, the accreditation review was never carried out and has been cancelled...  I also have a funny suspicion that a certain hospital administration is thankful that they still have their jobs...  Hehe!

Well Bob now I have heard of 1 hospital refusing. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, I never heard of it actually being refused, but there was talk of it on previous threads, especially for unmarried on a tourist visa.  The problem was also that nobody knew of somebody on a tourist visa who actually had made a claim!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Yes, I never heard of it actually being refused, but there was talk of it on previous threads, especially for unmarried on a tourist visa.  The problem was also that nobody knew of somebody on a tourist visa who actually had made a claim!

You know, I am actually not understanding this. How would the Hospital know anyway what the Status of the policy holder was, it is not on the policy and I don't even think it is on there what nationality they are either. Many Foreigners here on 9a's have Philheath, married or not a policy is a policy and anyone who has a refusal should report it immediately to the Hospital/PH/ and DTI Administrations.

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

Morning all :morning1:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry, guys, but I didn't say members on a tourist visa were denied - I said they were eligible for PhilHealth.

The hospital I wrote about that was denying PhilHealth claims were denying particular claims for everybody - not just ex-pats.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine who is single and has been in-country for about 2 years now on a tourist visa has PhilHealth, has used it and has had his claims paid. So I guess that answers that question...

:D

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I said they were eligible for PhilHealth.

Quite right but as the last Paragraph says on the link attached. An ARP must be held, so for those not yet registered you should do it now as after end Sept it will cost you $50+

The ARP is going to be very Important now, more than was at first thought.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I said they were eligible for PhilHealth.

Quite right but as the last Paragraph says on the link attached. An ARP must be held, so for those not yet registered you should do it now as after end Sept it will cost you $50+

The ARP is going to be very Important now, more than was at first thought.

JP :tiphat:

What is ARP?