Philhealth

zarcon
Posted
Posted

I'm a newbie. How and where can I apply for Philhealth?

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

1. Filipinos over a certain age get health care UNDEPENDING of any PhilHealth FEES are paid. (This is rather new, not sure if it has started yet.)

That is correct Thomas. I have a case just now, dog bite, with 4 Anti Rabies injections fee at Govt Health Center**. 67 yo Female with expired Phil Health Card.

** Only 1-2 hospitals in each province are Bite Centers, so the patient must report there directio.

Edited by chris49

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just  discussing this with my partner.  She pays PhilHealth as an OS worker.  One question, can I join as a member of Phil Health, we are

not and cannot get married?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
One question, can I join as a member of Phil Health, we are not and cannot get married?

Short answer.  Yes.

I know other expats who have joined as single tourists with a tourist ACR card.  Big difference I can see is married 'couples' can get get family coverage for 2,400 a year while unmarried couples have to pay 2,400 EACH

• Like 5

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Easiest way is to go to the local PhilHealth office. If you are in Cebu, probably easiest play is the PhilHealth upstairs. Bring ID with you, and fill out the application fee. They won't take the fees from you there. They will give you a slip with the payment details on it, take it next door to WU. On the wall at WU it shows you how to fill the WU slip to pay your PhilHealth payment. After 3 months you will then be able to claim. Hope that helps.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Easiest way is to go to the local PhilHealth office. If you are in Cebu, probably easiest play is the PhilHealth upstairs. Bring ID with you, and fill out the application fee. They won't take the fees from you there. They will give you a slip with the payment details on it, take it next door to WU. On the wall at WU it shows you how to fill the WU slip to pay your PhilHealth payment. After 3 months you will then be able to claim. Hope that helps.

Strange how this seems to be another case of "depends on the office".  Here in the Olongapo office you pay right there.  I have to pay in September.

I know other expats who have joined as single tourists with a tourist ACR card.  Big difference I can see is married 'couples' can get get family coverage for 2,400 a year while unmarried couples have to pay 2,400 EACH

I didn't know this and I am glad I read it.  We are getting married in October so I will pay just enough to get by, then later we can convert to the married plan and save money.

It is amazing that so many Filipinos remain ignorant of Philhealth benefits.  We just recently found out that a sis-in-law's mom-in-law was not signed up even though it is free as she is over 60.  After reading the website, I found that if you are over 60, you don't even have to be signed up prior to arrival at the hospital, but the hospital might require a deposit.  Depending on the hospital, they can sign them up while in the hospital.  Better to sign up in advance though, and get the card.

They also have a plan for poor people to get covered and I assume it is free.  However, there are a lot of hoops to jump through (to prevent fraud) and many people who are illiterate would need help getting signed up.

We saved a lot of money when our daughter was born.  We paid up front but got a check from Philhealth for 13k, I think.  We thought it would be more but 13k was a nice helper.

Update by edit:  The mom-in-law mentioned above was in the hospital for 3 nights (bad case of food poisoning like mentioned in another thread).  She got signed up in the hospital.  As a senior, you also get a 20% discount.  Final bill was 22k and Philhealth paid half.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
After 3 months you will then be able to claim.
Except if he is pregnant  haha  

(I believe it's 9 months for pregnancy, to avoid they join PhilHealth after they got pregnant.)

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that a lot of youngsters and oldsters in Philippines end up hospitalized with pneumonia at some time.  And many die of this so it is very serious.

Good to hear things worked out for you Kev.  Its not something to screw around with.  I know I need to get Phil Health too.  but I keep putting it off. . .  grrrr (mad at self)

Pneumonia is a big problem in the Philippines, the majority of severe cases are because they get poor advice from local doctor, and then by the time they present at hospital they all got serious lobar pneumonia. Really a case of education. 

I am back in the USA now. At my routine doctor visit since I have COPD they recommended I get the Pneumonia vaccine. Protects against 13 strains of pneumonia. That might be something preventive us older retiree's could benefit from.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that a lot of youngsters and oldsters in Philippines end up hospitalized with pneumonia at some time.  And many die of this so it is very serious.

Good to hear things worked out for you Kev.  Its not something to screw around with.  I know I need to get Phil Health too.  but I keep putting it off. . .  grrrr (mad at self)

Pneumonia is a big problem in the Philippines, the majority of severe cases are because they get poor advice from local doctor, and then by the time they present at hospital they all got serious lobar pneumonia. Really a case of education. 

I am back in the USA now. At my routine doctor visit since I have COPD they recommended I get the Pneumonia vaccine. Protects against 13 strains of pneumonia. That might be something preventive us older retiree's could benefit from.

Not a bad idea, especially with your COPD.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Not a bad idea, especially with your COPD.

Yup, got it that same day.