Philhealth

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am back in the USA now. At my routine doctor visit since I have COPD they recommended I get the Pneumonia vaccine. Protects against 13 strains of pneumonia That might be something preventive us older retiree's could benefit from.

Remembering Sonjacks story of his little girl recently makes me Wonder, Do they do this vaccine here? would it be good for a child as well as Adults? A 3 year old  with Pneumonia seems harsh to me and should/could be prevented as well as Treated.

Not a bad idea, especially with your COPD.

I read that it is mainly over 35 that suffer COPD, I guess we all may suffer at some stage but what is the score here on this type of Treatment? or are we looking at an unknown or too expensive thing? As they say Prevention is better than Cure. yes?

JP :tiphat:

Morning All :morning1:

just off to battle with Philpost Again. :1 (103):

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Don't forget many have got ILL by vacinations. E g:

/Some got INSOMNIA by a vaccin against a (seasonal) FLUE :bash:   (Proven).

/I don't know if it's proven, but many claim many small kids have got serious illness (autism ?) by the common "Multiple vaccin" most kids get nowadays against illnesses, which most of are NOT DANGEROUS.  (I had two of them, when I were child. Just some ill two weeks. Back then small kids didn't got this vaccin, only against SERIOUS illnesses (polio. tb).

chris49
Posted
Posted

1. Filipinos over a certain age get health care UNDEPENDING of any PhilHealth FEES are paid. (This is rather new, not sure if it has started yet.)

That is correct Thomas. I have a case just now, dog bite, with 4 Anti Rabies injections fee at Govt Health Center**. 67 yo Female with expired Phil Health Card.

** Only 1-2 hospitals in each province are Bite Centers, so the patient must report there directio.

We went down today to get Rabies Vaccine 2nd injection at Gabriella Silang Hospital, Vigan. I went there the day before to lay the groundwork.

Confirming 100% of what Thomas has said. Filipino over 60 with a Senior Card is treated free regardless of Phil Health status. We got the injection, no waiting. We got Tetanus Toxoid booster. All free and we were given

2 appointments next week for 3rd and 4th injection.

I suppose it also depends on which hospital you go too and how busy they are. We were there 45 minutes and 2 other patients walked in. Looked like follow ups for vaccine also.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I am back in the USA now. At my routine doctor visit since I have COPD they recommended I get the Pneumonia vaccine. Protects against 13 strains of pneumonia That might be something preventive us older retiree's could benefit from.

Remembering Sonjacks story of his little girl recently makes me Wonder, Do they do this vaccine here? would it be good for a child as well as Adults? A 3 year old  with Pneumonia seems harsh to me and should/could be prevented as well as Treated.

Not a bad idea, especially with your COPD.

I read that it is mainly over 35 that suffer COPD, I guess we all may suffer at some stage but what is the score here on this type of Treatment? or are we looking at an unknown or too expensive thing? As they say Prevention is better than Cure. yes?

Morning All :morning1:

just off to battle with Philpost Again. :1 (103):

From the CDC Prevnar 13 vaccination is recommended for children under 5 and adults 65 and older. Also for adults with COPD because pneumonia could cause a COPD flare up.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/default.htm?s_cid=cs_797

Yes it is available in the Philippines. Regarding price, I think it cost me $80 USD and I saw a quote of 5k pesos for the vaccine but that was in 2010. 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Pneumonia vaccine.

Think you have to be over 50-60? years old, singles is a great one to get too.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

This does not help anyone but the scammers.

he Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) has stopped paying two private hospitals, one in Northern Luzon and another in Mindanao, over an alleged pneumonia fraud.
Minguita Padilla, head executive staff of the health secretary and chair of the Eye Bank Foundation of the Philippines, said that the freeze in payment came after PhilHealth learned that the hospitals were “suspiciously admitting” patients for an overnight stay even if they do not have health problems.
 She said that patients would be discharged the next day with doctors’ medical findings that made it appear like the patient had pneumonia.
At the weekly health forum in Quezon City, Padilla said there was nothing wrong with the patients but they were made to stay for a night at the hospitals.
She refused to identify the hospitals pending completion of the investigation, although she said these facilities appeared to have resorted to fraud because “they need money; it’s a way to earn money.”
The “pneumonia fraud,” she added, will allow hospitals to earn millions and the doctors between P15,000 to P32,000 depending on the severity of the case.
Padilla described one of the two hospitals as “a small hospital” – even smaller than St. Luke’s bed capacity – but charges higher than the prime hospital.
In 2014, PhilHealth paid P7.6 billion for pneumonia; P4.6 billion for hemodialysis; P4.2 billion for cesarean delivery; P2.1 billion for removal of cataracts and P1.5 billion for maternity care package.
So far, Padilla said investigation showed that the hospitals hired “door-to-door recruiters” to entice people to become patients in exchange for some payment.
“Sometimes, all the street vendors are hired. On other occasions, they pay patients. Patients connive with what the hospitals want. Everything is corrupted,” she added.
Padilla also urged politicians not to use PhilHealth for their 2016 political plans, believing that this will only worsen the problems the agency is facing.
Recently, PhilHealth found at least six health care facilities that made PhilHealth members undergo cataract surgery even when these are not necessary. The involved hospitals allegedly claimed bigger benefit payments for cataract removal.
“These abusive centers charged P59,000 to P80,000 per eye instead of the usual P16,000. Top cataract centers in respectable hospitals only have three percent of their total eye-care patients go through multiple procedures. But these abusive centers report 90 percent,” Padilla said.
PhilHealth’s benefit payments totaled P56 billion in 2013 and P78 billion in 2014 – an increase of 28 percent.
For this year, Padilla said that PhilHealth is spending about P1.7 billion a week in benefits.
“That’s how much today we are spending. How much of that is fraud? That’s what we have to find out,” she said.
A source at PhilHealth said administrative and criminal charges have been filed against 10 PhilHealth employees, doctors and ranking officials.
--
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

How much of that is fraud? That’s what we have to find out,”

Interesting, I wonder if we will read about this next post-2148-0-96116100-1438830283_thumb.jp but I guess some will still treat and Charge?

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
patiojo
Posted
Posted

Can anyone buy into Philhealth?  I am an American and planning on re-locating to the Phil with my fillipina wife in the next couple of years.  Is it possible for us to buy into the government health plan.  Thanks all.....Bob

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Can anyone buy into Philhealth?  

Yes

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Can anyone buy into Philhealth?

First off, welcome to the forum Pat.

Short answer is yes. There are a lot of details in this topic and other topics on the forum. The search engine on this forum is one of the few that actually works. Suggest you browse those, and if anything is not clear (like just about everything in dealing with government agencies anywhere in the world :hystery: ), we will see if we can answer your specific questions or at least point you in the right direction.

But for now, yes you do qualify, but Philhealth is pretty limited.

Again welcome :cheersty:  :cheersty:

• Like 3