Pain Medication

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have been on them for 3 years I guess I'm in trouble

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OK. Let clarify the possibility of addiction. Tramadol is a synthetically produced opiate which was designed for people to get off injectibles like morphine which are definitely addictive. Like Methodone was introduced for heroin addicts and the addicts did get dependent on the Methadone but the side effects are much less. Methadone will not kill you.

As with Tramadol. I would say that after 3 years you are dependent on the Tramadol for pain relief. But it's probably your best option to control a situation like Osteo. "Addiction" is probably the wrong word, I would call it "Dependent"

• Like 2

bob33809
Posted
Posted

I use it mostly at night to get a little sleep. Without it I toss and turn all night. The Dr. said this is the best drug for a bad situation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Jack I thought you were going for a beer.

SO!  I forgot to log off. :thumbsup: 

attachicon.gifclose the door.jpg Mutter Mutter Mutter 

JP attachicon.gifwink.png

Oh so touchy, best you go and get your fix

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tramadol is not a drug to fool around with and could become addictive despite the fact that is was designed as an alternative to injectable pain meds, eg Morphine and Demerol.
(I tested some pain killers just to see if I could speed up my move, but I have a special gene (=no reaction at any morpine related) and no other pill made any useful difference either.)

One of the pain killers I got at prescription were Tramadol. The doctor said I could absolutly not take it more than 14 days in line, because it's ADICTIVE.  But it didn't made any relief at me anyway, so I skiped them after a few days test.

It is addictive but a safer alternative to Oxycodone and milder Vicodin. As Chris said its not something to be taken without a Dr prescription. At this point I have no choice have been taking Tramadol for three years and don't consider myself addicted. I am able to go without for several days without any issues other than pain.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As Chris said its not something to be taken without a Dr prescription.

At least some doctors here, (2 that have treated me in the recent past), have prescribed Tramadol rather than encouraging me to take Aspirin.  The latest fad here is that Aspirin is bad for you and Tramadol is a miracle drug.  As you can tell from my tone, I am not a convert to the infallibility of doctors.  :hystery:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Low dose Aspirin would not handle any level of pain. Higher doses of ASA (Aspirin) has risk factors mostly excessive bleeding. Maybe duodenal ulcer.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Higher doses of ASA (Aspirin) has risk factors mostly excessive bleeding.

1960's:  Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

1970's:  Exedrin, strong medicine for a strong headache.

1980's:  Forget those and just take Acetaminophen.  It is better for you.

1990's:  Ibuprofen is better for you than any of those previous medicines.

2000's  Celebrex, for real pain sufferers

2010's  Its Tramadol

One wonders what will be the pain medicine of choice 5 years from now.

As you can tell from my tone, I am not a convert to the infallibility of any pain medication.

:tiphat:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
One wonders what will be the pain medicine of choice 5 years from now.

Medicinal marijuana, if sensible people are in control. Luckily here, you don't usually need a scrip for Tramadol (not usually means, of course, your mileage may vary from one shop to another).  Vicodin does nothing for my pain...   :tiphat:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Tramadol can cause seizures, it is for this reason I am unable to take it.  I suffer from neuropathy in my right leg and use lidocaine patches to treat the pain.

I've had 3 concussions in past 5 years in which I lost consciousness.  Unfortunately, I now have a permanent disability and as a result and now suffer severe anxiety and insomnia disorders.  After some back and forth between neurologists and psychiatrists, I've been placed on anti-anxiety and sleep meds, which allow me to be functional again.  

This leads me to the following question now that I just moved to Phils. and about to run out of my medications prescribed by doctors back in US.

What is easiest way for me to get my existing medications refilled here in Phils?  Do I just take my prescription bottles to pharmacy??

Just for reference, my meds are:

High Blood Pressure - Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25mg (daily)
Anxiety - Klonopin 0.5 mg (2x daily),  Diazepam 5 mg (1-2 as needed)
Insomnia - Zolpidem 10mg (daily)

Not sure if these meds are even available here.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Tramadol can cause seizures, it is for this reason I am unable to take it.  I suffer from neuropathy in my right leg and use lidocaine patches to treat the pain.

I've had 3 concussions in past 5 years in which I lost consciousness.  Unfortunately, I now have a permanent disability and as a result and now suffer severe anxiety and insomnia disorders.  After some back and forth between neurologists and psychiatrists, I've been placed on anti-anxiety and sleep meds, which allow me to be functional again.  

This leads me to the following question now that I just moved to Phils. and about to run out of my medications prescribed by doctors back in US.

What is easiest way for me to get my existing medications refilled here in Phils?  Do I just take my prescription bottles to pharmacy??

Just for reference, my meds are:

High Blood Pressure - Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25mg (daily)
Anxiety - Klonopin 0.5 mg (2x daily),  Diazepam 5 mg (1-2 as needed)
Insomnia - Zolpidem 10mg (daily)

Not sure if these meds are even available here.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure of most but the high blood med I use here is Neobloc which is name brand for Metoprolol 50mg. I pay P370 for a box of 100 at Sincere Pharmacy here in Bacolod. I would strongly advise not getting the generic. It is either too low strength or maybe even fake. My BP averaged 138/94 since I came here in 2007. When I was in Riverside Hospital back in July 2014, my doctor was suspicious of this and put me on the Neobloc. Ever since then, my BP has been 110/70 to 120/80. And the price is only 1P difference. Shop wisely. BTW just take your meds to a major pharmacy here and they may be able to match them. Many meds here can be obtained w/o a script here. Hope this helps.

• Like 2