Pain Medication

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

Thanks Jack,

No wonder you and Chris are on the same page.  Where i am is very hilly, and lots of traffic, so may wait till I settle into life in PHils to take up your suggestion which I appreciate.  I can't lean over a bike though as my lower back looks looks like a Mechano set put together by a lunatic!.  So will have o get one that I can sit up on, ie like a mountain bike but don't want any mountains???

Did you walk like a ruptured duck for awhile until you got used to it Jack?

:89: Lets just say that I did walk a little off set but not as bad as I walked normally before. Now Chris will echo this I am sure, You make a bike Fit you. Not try and make yourself fit the Bike. A good bike Engineer ( For want of as better word) can adjust things to suit. Handle bars saddle etc. It is not out of the realms of Fantasy to have one pretty much made to measure. Remember Douglas Bader and his Spitfire? they made his Cockpit to accommodate his Wooden legs. Anything is Possible, "Where there is a will, there will be away" I have a good man close to me that will fix one up a treat for you. 25.000 would not be out of order.Cheaper even but  when you are here we can sort things out for you. My daughters latest Bike was 15.000, Good Buy, 24" wheel Mountain Bike, maybe good for you just put sit up and beg handle Bars on. 21 Speed, taking it easy and away you go.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Lets just say that I did walk a little off set but not as bad as I walked normally before. Now Chris will echo this I am sure, You make a bike Fit you. Not try and make yourself fit the Bike. A good bike Engineer ( For want of as better word) can adjust things to suit. Handle bars saddle etc. It is not out of the realms of Fantasy to have one pretty much made to measure. Remember Douglas Bader and his Spitfire? they made his Cockpit to accommodate his Wooden legs. Anything is Possible, "Where there is a will, there will be away" I have a good man close to me that will fix one up a treat for you. 25.000 would not be out of order.Cheaper even but  when you are here we can sort things out for you. My daughters latest Bike was 15.000, Good Buy, 24" wheel Mountain Bike, maybe good for you just put sit up and beg handle Bars on. 21 Speed, taking it easy and away you go.

Sounds Good Jack.  21 speed, sh..t I have trouble with 5 speed gearboxes, don't they come in Auto Jack????

Seriously, I think that may we  ll be helpful as my ability to get around is not good, Can only walk for about 15 minutes and then need to sit. When shopping, need to lean on the trolley and no I have not had a few Pils before I went shopping (unfortunately). 

This is making it harder for me to tread water until next year.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

21 speed, sh..t I have trouble with 5 speed gearboxes, don't they come in Auto Jack????

:cool: Sure do 

Tandem.thumb.jpg.bfd46a6f9ec75e22aa8ff3d You sit at the back and your Mrs does all the work from the front. Can't get any more Automatic than that!

No Mr lazy, start thinking Exercise! mind over matter:biggrin:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I agree with Jack that you need to keep your back moving. I also believe that in many cases inversion therapy would be helpful. Compression of your discs in your spine can be a problem. Often they don't expand while you just lay flat and the next day you start out with thin discs and nerve pain. As soon as I settle some place I will have an inversion table built. There are some commercially made like the "Teeter Table" but I would rather not have to import one into the Philippines, not to mention that they are pricy for such a simple item.:cheersty:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:06 AM, robert k said:

I agree with Jack that you need to keep your back moving. I also believe that in many cases inversion therapy would be helpful. Compression of your discs in your spine can be a problem. Often they don't expand while you just lay flat and the next day you start out with thin discs and nerve pain. As soon as I settle some place I will have an inversion table built. There are some commercially made like the "Teeter Table" but I would rather not have to import one into the Philippines, not to mention that they are pricy for such a simple item.:cheersty:

I did not comment back to Jack and Mogo (Ron), because I don't know if cycling is good for the back or not.

Yes Robert k....Mc Kenzie's exercises, you don't need the "Teeter Table"

Put 2 good size pillows on the floor, stack them. Then lie with your head and feet dropping towards the floor. Reversing the curvature of the spine and trying to expand the disc space, even if only temporarily is good.

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chris49 said:

I did not comment back to Jack and Mogo (Ron), because I don't know if cycling is good for the back or not.

When I was in my thirties I hurt my back lifting one end of our articulated lawnmower. At first it was light, then abruptly got heavy and that's when I hurt myself. I was rolling around on the floor for half an hour. I spent the entire summer on my bike and that fixed everything. Now I'm 71 with no back problems. My bike was a tour bike with dropped handle bar, and I spend most of the time on the dropped portion. Yeah, purely anecdotal so take this FWIW. My bout with chikungunya is another matter, with not so happy outcome.

Edited by JonPalawan
details about bike
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, chris49 said:

Yes Robert k....Mc Kenzie's exercises, you don't need the "Teeter Table"

Put 2 good size pillows on the floor, stack them. Then lie with your head and feet dropping towards the floor. Reversing the curvature of the spine and trying to expand the disc space, even if only temporarily is good.

Chris, what you describe would cripple me for weeks. There are nerves which ride (or are supposed to ride in channels at the rear of your spine. If your discs are thin, they get pinched even if you don't lean back. My spine has a slight twist in it and the channels that the nerves sit in don't line up so the nerves only have half the space they normally would. If your discs are nice and thick, there is no problem. There are probably some representations online to show what I'm talking about. I would recommend the teeter table or something like it as it is essentially putting you in traction using gravity and your body weight. I recommend inversion therapy. As I believe the discs will still expand if given room to do so. Just my opinion based on my experience with my own back problems.

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, robert k said:

Chris, what you describe would cripple me for weeks. There are nerves which ride (or are supposed to ride in channels at the rear of your spine. If your discs are thin, they get pinched even if you don't lean back. My spine has a slight twist in it and the channels that the nerves sit in don't line up so the nerves only have half the space they normally would. If your discs are nice and thick, there is no problem. There are probably some representations online to show what I'm talking about. I would recommend the teeter table or something like it as it is essentially putting you in traction using gravity and your body weight. I recommend inversion therapy. As I believe the discs will still expand if given room to do so. Just my opinion based on my experience with my own back problems.

OK, Disclaimer here. NB, I was not active on this topic, but my opinion was called for...everyone knows I'm a cyclist and an RN.

But not much experience in ortho or with spinal problems. Mc Kenzie's exercises are universal, but I did post same on a triathlon forum and I was told by a physio pretty much what Robert K has said here.

Then on biking. I have seen some quite severe curvature of the spine issues with pro cyclists. While perhaps some light riding in an upright position has benefits, I'm not recommending it one way or another.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Actually, the medical marijuana i used was mostly CBD (cannabids) and little THC (stuff that gets people high). I once tried a cookie, not knowing to only eat 1/4 to 1/3 of it, not the whole cookie.  It felt like the bed was spinning as fast as a helicopter propeller.  Didn't make that mistake again.  After that, I tried a spray that i used in my mouth.  My twin sis is using a lotion for her shoulder pain and is also having good results.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2016 at 2:42 PM, Jack Peterson said:

:cool: Sure do 

Tandem.thumb.jpg.bfd46a6f9ec75e22aa8ff3d You sit at the back and your Mrs does all the work from the front. Can't get any more Automatic than that!

No Mr lazy, start thinking Exercise! mind over matter:biggrin:

I surrender Jack, will take the challenge.

• Like 1