Filipino Honesty. In Daily Life.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
Would you have examples of Filipino honesty?
Yes many.

In Hong Kong, along with most of my friends and acquaintances, I employed Filiipina domestic helpers. I never had any reason to suspect their honesty, nor have I heared of any example of dishonesty from those friends and acquaintances. The same has been generally true of my experience in the Philippines. And although the examples above may be put down as enlightened self-interest I can think of many cases where the people involved are unlikely to see me again.

I regret to say that is not always true of people here.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
That's 100% honesty and it exists here in the Philippines, possibly moreso in provincial area.

What you describe Chris I believed is called "Cash Register Honesty" and yes I agree with you. Even here in Metro Manila, when I deal with people on a day to day basis, especially those that I deal with regularly (barber, grocer, mani/pedi lady etc.) I have never been cheated, swindled, scammed or other wise really taken advantage of.

Having said that, I can say the same thing is generally true about the people in every country I have lived in or visited. Humans on the whole are basically honest, especially when dealing with people one on one.

Institutional and cultural honesty? Well that's a whole different topic :tiphat:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Institutional and cultural honesty? Well that's a whole different topic

You nailed it Scott, when working in an environment where corruption is endemic, very few will not step in line!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2. Reference point No.1. If ever you gave a wrong bill by mistake they will make the correction, not trying to take advantage of the situation.

Had that happen.  Got a massage and went to give a 100 peso tip.  The next thing I know I'm getting back a bunch of change.  Seems the therapist thought I was paying the bill because no one ever leaves a 1000 peso tip.  Those dang 100s and 1000s look almost the same to my old eyes in dim light.

The barber knows he's getting a tip. In all likelihood rounded out to a hundred with no change.

Wow.  I never pay 2 1/2 times the price for anything. (40 peso haircut times 2 1/2 = 100 peso note.)   Closest  I come to that is when I get a massage and sometimes leave half the cost of the massage as a tip.  That is only because I have been told many times that the therapists get next to nothing from the price you pay for the massage and actually live on their tips.

My experience in general is that average Filipinos are as honest as average people anywhere else I have been.  No better and no worse.  Just average.  But that's a good thing.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I do Dave, 50=100 for excellent service by the same barber or the collegue I go to every 4-5 weeks. That's the thing about it. That 100 note, 50 pesos directly to him, influences the service. I notice the extras like fully shaving the neck and meticulous trimming to a point of excess. Noticeably more than he is giving the other customers, so I think it's worth it.

On the massage. I had only one in the last 5 years but it was recent. No extras of course. I notice the variable standard in the massage therapist. They can be lackadaisical, tired, no interaction with the customer or they can be a bit more friendly, have a bit more interaction with the customer. The last one I had cut the time by over 10 minutes. When I mentioned it she had no comment. Of course it's her livelihood, so I can't leave her without tip, so 100. Previously I would spin out 200-300 in typical foreigner style.Not sure now, but maybe like the barber, for excellent service, 200. And they get that a few times a day for only a few hours work, so I covered my obligation.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Previously I would spin out 200-300 in typical foreigner style.

Where on earth did you get this as Typical Foreigner style Tipping? My pockets are short and I got long arms but a days Wages for a Tip.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I was in Palawin with my then gf and her mother. We hired a tricycle to take us around for the three days. He was waiting outside the hotel by 8am and did not finish until after 9pm. yes he did eat with us whenever we did, noon meal and one other. Charge was 1500p I gave him 2000p. He said no no too much, my gf mother said no to much. I said look it is my money and I will pay what I want. I do try to keep my tips to around 15% same as I do in Canada. The trike driver was a good guy, with a wife and two children in school I was more than happy to pay him the $56.00 dollars Canadian for his services

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I was in Palawin with my then gf and her mother. We hired a tricycle to take us around for the three days. He was waiting outside the hotel by 8am and did not finish until after 9pm. yes he did eat with us whenever we did, noon meal and one other. Charge was 1500p I gave him 2000p. He said no no too much, my gf mother said no to much. I said look it is my money and I will pay what I want. I do try to keep my tips to around 15% same as I do in Canada. The trike driver was a good guy, with a wife and two children in school I was more than happy to pay him the $56.00 dollars Canadian for his services

10 marks to you and I admire it but this a total different ball game to barbers and massages, my lunchtime bouts with the guys here usually end up about 400 peso so I give 10% to the Waitress that's 40 peso Yeah! I am not about to double her daily Wage for a Bill of 400 peso. The Boss of the Bar would kill me, Give too much as suggested and we know, don't we, what they will Do? They don't turn up tomorrow and that is no good for anyone. We all know that the Living Wage here is no where near enough but it is not for us to pay their wages.

Sorry That's me.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1