Filipino Honesty. In Daily Life.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Previously I would spin out 200-300 in typical foreigner style.

Where on earth did you get this as Typical Foreigner style Tipping? My pockets are short and I got long arms but a days Wages for a Tip.

JP :tiphat:

A barmaid here will usually earn 120 per shift. If you give them 20 that is enough I feel.I had a friend put some tiles in the dirty kitchen. (He is the husband of the lady who runs the gym here) She told me I don`t have to pay but as he did a very good job and had all his own tools I gave him his full days pay. Of course I can use him again when I eventually build a place of my own.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Previously I would spin out 200-300 in typical foreigner style.

Where on earth did you get this as Typical Foreigner style Tipping? My pockets are short and I got long arms but a days Wages for a Tip.

Jack kindly note my entire post. I went to a massage joint once in the last 5 years. And I quoted y previous experience.

Since you seem to know the subject. What is your tip for a one hour massage which costs in the range of 400-600 pesos? One hour massage, sauna/steam beforehand, shower afterwards.

Since I don't know, why don't you educate me?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jack kindly note my entire post. I went to a massage joint once in the last 5 years. And I quoted y previous experience.

Since you seem to know the subject. What is your tip for a one hour massage which costs in the range of 400-600 pesos? One hour massage, sauna/steam beforehand, shower afterwards.

I paid 300 peso for my Massage on Sunday evening and left a 50 peso tip with the owner as she does not like the Staff to accept money.

Edited to remove a comment that may  have unwarranted.

Edited by Jack Peterson

chris49
Posted
Posted

I was in Palawin with my then gf and her mother. We hired a tricycle to take us around for the three days. He was waiting outside the hotel by 8am and did not finish until after 9pm. yes he did eat with us whenever we did, noon meal and one other. Charge was 1500p I gave him 2000p. He said no no too much, my gf mother said no to much. I said look it is my money and I will pay what I want. I do try to keep my tips to around 15% same as I do in Canada. The trike driver was a good guy, with a wife and two children in school I was more than happy to pay him the $56.00 dollars Canadian for his services

10 marks to you and I admire it but this a total different ball game to barbers and massages, my lunchtime bouts with the guys here usually end up about 400 peso so I give 10% to the Waitress that's 40 peso Yeah! I am not about to double her daily Wage for a Bill of 400 peso. The Boss of the Bar would kill me, Give too much as suggested and we know, don't we, what they will Do? They don't turn up tomorrow and that is no good for anyone. We all know that the Living Wage here is no where near enough but it is not for us to pay their wages.

Sorry That's me.

40 pesos if told to a Filipina is "over" but I would give about 40. Or if 2 splitting the bill and we each put in 20 that would be good.

Or where I eat in the morning carinderia style, even on asking the owner. Nothing expected, nothing given or on a very rare occasion 20 pesos. Pick up the loose change all of it. The girls are told to give the excess back to the owner, which is fair enough in a 50-60 pesos food joint. The girls might not get much salary, clearly not. I suspect 100 for about a half day. But they get 1-2 meals and might be taking some of the excess food home. That's the system and any interference would probably not be appreciated.In that system the girls are sometimes given a place to sleep on the premices or maybe a boarding house. Abiut 2 days off per month and other time off upon request.

I was in Palawin with my then gf and her mother. We hired a tricycle to take us around for the three days. He was waiting outside the hotel by 8am and did not finish until after 9pm. yes he did eat with us whenever we did, noon meal and one other. Charge was 1500p I gave him 2000p. He said no no too much, my gf mother said no to much. I said look it is my money and I will pay what I want. I do try to keep my tips to around 15% same as I do in Canada. The trike driver was a good guy, with a wife and two children in school I was more than happy to pay him the $56.00 dollars Canadian for his services

10 marks to you and I admire it but this a total different ball game to barbers and massages, my lunchtime bouts with the guys here usually end up about 400 peso so I give 10% to the Waitress that's 40 peso Yeah! I am not about to double her daily Wage for a Bill of 400 peso. The Boss of the Bar would kill me, Give too much as suggested and we know, don't we, what they will Do? They don't turn up tomorrow and that is no good for anyone. We all know that the Living Wage here is no where near enough but it is not for us to pay their wages.

Sorry That's me.

40 pesos if told to a Filipina is "over" but I would give about 40. Or if 2 splitting the bill and we each put in 20 that would be good.

Or where I eat in the morning carinderia style, even on asking the owner. Nothing expected, nothing given or on a very rare occasion 20 pesos. Pick up the loose change all of it. The girls are told to give the excess back to the owner, which is fair enough in a 50-60 pesos food joint. The girls might not get much salary, clearly not. I suspect 100 for about a half day. But they get 1-2 meals and might be taking some of the excess food home. That's the system and any interference would probably not be appreciated.In that system the girls are sometimes given a place to sleep on the premices or maybe a boarding house. Abiut 2 days off per month and other time off upon request.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Would you have examples of Filipino honesty?

"WOW" Timely or What, my man has just text to say that we overpaid him yesterday by 500 peso but as he has a Funeral Tomorrow can he be Advanced this on this weeks Money, Now that is Honesty. MIND Azon would have found it when she did the books tonight. So well done that man

I am Impressed. :thumbsup:

JP :)  

chris49
Posted
Posted

I paid 300 peso for my Massage on Sunday evening and left a 50 peso tip with the owner as she does not like the Staff to accept money.

Edited to remove a comment that may  have unwarranted.

Talaga? Really? So the owner pockets the 50.

And the massage girls do not get minimum wage.

I have not been in that situation, but just extrapolating a little bit.

100 to the girls hand for a full one hour massage. If there is attendant there handing out the towels andthe locker key. 20 pesos. If I know the person and it's a continued good service. 50 pesos.

If I come in cold and it's a new place, new girl. Good service, 100. I like to build up a relationship of good service for the future. If the service is not so good, 100 still. If it's really poor, I talk to the manager for explanation of why. No tip.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Tips is a different subject, honesty is another. What was this topic about? 

Tricycle driver in Bohol returns P88,000

A lowly tricycle driver recently drew public attention after returning cash amounting to P88,000 left by his passenger on Tuesday (September 1).

For his honest deed, Reynaldo Ingking, a 45-year-old resident of Barangay Dampas in Tagbilaran City, was offered a job by a government agency yesterday so that he would be entitled to retirement benefits and other benefits enjoyed by government employees.

However, Ingking refused and expressed that he is already happy driving a tricycle as his source of livelihood to support his wife and 2-year-old child.

Upon learning of his story aired over a local radio station in Tagbilaran, concerned citizens and institutions raised P13,000 as cash reward for Ingking.

For his part, Tagbilaran City Mayor John Geesnell Yap personally commended the tricycle driver during a simple ceremony at the his office yesterday, saying he was touched by the driver’s honesty — a quality rare nowadays.

The mayor said Ingking is a model that the youth can look up to.

The Brotherhood of Christian Businessmen and Professionals (BCBP) will also commend Ingking formally in a separate ceremony to be scheduled later. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Talaga? Really? So the owner pockets the 50. And the massage girls do not get minimum wage.

So back on Topic, it is no secret that like Doctors and Lawyers and other professions, CPA's have Private Practice as well as their Employment. I have absolutely NO reason to even think the Particular parlor I use has an  owner that  is dishonest in any way.

Why? Her Accountant is married to me and  We would know! believe me.

JP

chris49
Posted
Posted

Talaga? Really? So the owner pockets the 50. And the massage girls do not get minimum wage.

So back on Topic, it is no secret that like Doctors and Lawyers and other professions, CPA's have Private Practice as well as their Employment. I have absolutely NO reason to even think the Particular parlor I use has an  owner that  is dishonest in any way.

Why? Her Accountant is married to me and  We would know! believe me.

JP

Jack. What is normal business practice in the Philippines eg not paying the minimum wage in so many area, is not seen as dishonest.

But would that system fly in any other country?

As for tips. The only way that I know of giving them is hand to hand. I don't know of any other system and if there was I would resist.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack. What is normal business practice in the Philippines eg not paying the minimum wage in so many area, is not seen as dishonest. But would that system fly in any other country? As for tips. The only way that I know of giving them is hand to hand. I don't know of any other system and if there was I would resist.

You are Chris only going on Assumptions that all are Dishonest. End of on this one as you are not going to listen.

JPpost-2148-0-01059500-1441282440.png