Kidnapping ?

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Even in the states, kids are kidnapped. Amber alerts go off in malls, and along freeways. Children are kidnapped for various reasons. Some for ransom but most by pedophiles or human traffickers. It happens in the states, so why not in the Philippines?

The media leads you to believe this. Most kidnappings of children is done by one of the parents or family due to custody issues.

This is from a report I found on CNN:

The most recent study published by the Department of Justice, from 2002, reported that of the 797,500 children reported missing in a one-year period, 203,900 were abducted by family members and 58,200 were abducted by non-relatives. 115 were classified as being taken by a stranger.

Here is a link to the study the report is based on: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/196465.pdf

Of course in the Philippines I expect the statistics would be very different due to the Philippines likely not having all the custody issues the USA has.

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

There is no harm in being careful.

Even in the states, kids are kidnapped. Amber alerts go off in malls, and along freeways. Children are kidnapped for various reasons. Some for ransom but most by pedophiles or human traffickers. It happens in the states, so why not in the Philippines? It was never like this when I was growing up. Hell, children were allowed to walk to the local grocery store to buy milk, eggs, bread or whatever. There are no family owned neighborhood stores anymore. Just large supermarkets. With the crime rate being what it is, parents are more careful now with their children.

I see young Filipino kids walking to the local sari sari store to buy ice candy, soda, or chips, even maybe a kilo of rice and their parents feeling completely safe about it.

Our young boy is almost 15 now but my wife still worries about him if he is late coming home from school.

Actually that things have been happening probably as long as people have been in existence.

We are in the information age now and we hear about things we rarely heard about before.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
We are in the information age now and we hear about things we rarely heard about before.

Very true Richie. The problem as I see it is that to many people believe ALL the things they hear about without researching it. :1 (103):  :hystery:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Well, it is the parents responsibility to make sure their child is not a statistic. You can take your risks with yours but as long as ours is under our roof, he will live by our standards. I do not think we are over protective.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I see young Filipino kids walking to the local sari sari store to buy ice candy, soda, or chips, even maybe a kilo of rice and their parents feeling completely safe about it. [/quote ]

This is one of the Beauties ( well was one) of living here, Safe. But I have noticed over time that as soon as Dusk turns to night, less kids are out and about [ maybe just the Teenagers are around]

Our  young boy is almost 15 now but my wife still worries about him if he is late coming home from school.

As it should be this is where home security begins. My 16 year old daughter gets Humpty if we ask too many questions about these things but it may sink in on day that all we are is worried sometimes.

JP :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

Exactly,  the teenager wants to feel responsible without proving it. Security works both ways. The parents and the children both.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Actually that things have been happening probably as long as people have been in existence.

Certainly here and a lot more than I think we, as sensible and Responsible People realize.

Talking daily as I do to my Sorry, sorry, store owner he gives me a lot of Information that is never in the News or on the Web & to a degree never reaches FB for fear of Embarrassment to the Parents But over the last few years no less than 8 ( Children) he tells me have been abducted, mainly for sale in the 3 Large Barangays that Surround my Area. No this has nothing to do with Insurgents or Terrorists, it is Poverty & whilst we could all joke about it, his words were well Some of those families have so many kids so close together no one is going to miss one. Kidnapping is or has been Rife over the Years and it will never stop.

The Local Barangay Police here in Junob do a drive round every night at different times and I found out that there is a Curfew for under 12's of 8 pm  & 12 to 16 at 10 pm Latest. Children found out on the Street after are returned to Home and Parents are warned. 2nd Offence and it starts the Fines.

If anyone has been to Dumaguete and has heard the old Air raid Siren going at 9.45 and again at 10 pm and wondered what it is. It is the Under 16 year old Curfew Time. GO HOME. This Siren can be Heard all over the Area as far as Robinsons and the Airport  there is  No excuse.  GO HOME! If they are out after that 9/10 they are up to no Good.

It starts at Home though, Safety and Security. We live in an uncertain age and World and if we are Honest, could we live with ourselves if we lost one of our Flock? I know I couldn't.

I am so Glad that at least where possible, Dumaguete and the Surrounding Area's are taking the trouble to look after the Young, something that would not go amiss in other Cities and Towns down to Barangays and Puroks 

Being Vigilant and using common Sense (and there is some about ) makes Kidnap a harder thing to achieve.

For me, Report Strangers that you feel don't belong to the Barangay Police. Teach our Children the Ultimate lesson. Don't talk to Strangers and never accepts gifts or get into or near a car or on a motorcycle of someone you do not know. In fact our Daughter will not even get into a family car if it was not arranged before hand to pick her up. many Kids will listen if they are talked to about it and not pressured. Will you listen is better that You Will listen.

OK! OK! Lesson over, Sorry But.......................WE love our daughter warts and all. 

JP :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
This Siren can be Heard all over the Area as far as Robinsons and the Airport  there is  No excuse.  GO HOME! 

You are preaching to the choir Jack.  Its the kids who need to know what the siren is for and they have no clue.  Nobody seems to have taught them and nobody enforces it.  Seriously, there are police on the boulevard every night but I have never seen them approach an underage kid to send them home after the siren.  But I suppose that could be because all the underage kids are law abiding and have gone home already  :hystery:

In truth, it is cooler at night and many after school activities take place after 10pm so a curfew is a total waste of effort.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You are preaching to the choir Jack.  Its the kids who need to know what the siren is for and they have no clue.  Nobody seems to have taught them and nobody enforces it.  Seriously, there are police on the boulevard every night but I have never seen them approach an underage kid to send them home after the siren.  But I suppose that could be because all the underage kids are law abiding and have gone home already    In truth, it is cooler at night and many after school activities take place after 10pm so a curfew is a total waste of effort.

Well say what we like, I was just trying to say that there is a System here and if the Police, City & DepEd choose to Ignore Safety Systems then I will have less of a Conscience when we read about bad things happening  even Underage girls getting propositioned. In fact I would make it my place to tell the world how the PI are just Not interested in their children unless there was money from it. but................... It will be us the foreigner to blame as always. Absolutely No responsibility and always someone else's fault.

Luckily Mine is Home safe and Sound at 11pm at the Latest and never on the Boulevard  after 10pm and the Dep Ed have Written Indications of Legal Action from Azon should that ever Happen. (It doesn't) They tried it once and once only. 

Rant over! :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
12 to 16 at 10 pm Latest.
Well. It's a huge difference between a 12 year old and a 16 year old...

When I were 15-16 myself I finnished sport exersixes two times per week LATER than 10  :hystery:

and in weekends I wouldn't like to go home when the party STARTS...  :lol:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

12 to 16 at 10 pm Latest.
Well. It's a huge difference between a 12 year old and a 16 year old...

When I were 15-16 myself I finnished sport exersixes two times per week LATER than 10  :hystery:

and in weekends I wouldn't like to go home when the party STARTS...  :lol:

Yeah and Howwwww many years ago was this?

• Like 4