Posted
Posted

Bigfoot?

06-bigfoot-1.jpg

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have noticed a lot of guys wearing oversized shoes.  Maybe they can double as flotation devices in the rainy season?

But that would not explain why so many women wear undersized shoes... I see toes hanging off the front of slippers a lot...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Someone tried to unload on me a pair of Dwayne Wade, slightly used Converse All Stars, size 11.5, 46. They must retail for at least $100 in the USA, but he asked 1500. He said it's a gift from his Ate in the USA.   Good deal, I bought them for 1200.   The back story is that if you keep scouring sari saris you will see the "used" Nike, New Balance and etc in large sizes. This guy was going around buying them and would specifically target foreigners. Must be some kind of factory seconds maybe not from USA, maybe from China directly.

I buy those all the time but they are just knock offs.  Yvonne paid 400 pesos for a pair of Adidas knock offs yesterday.  I have paid anywhere up to 800 pesos for really nice knockoffs but none of them last very long. I would never pay 1200 for knockoffs though. Good thing shoe repair is cheap (50 pesos) but if anyone is looking to buy any of the knockoffs, look for the eyes that the laces go through.  If those are crappy then the laces will wear through and its not fixable.  The soles are easily fixed.  

As to the oversize shoes, I suspect the youth are going for the gangsta look and the older, poor just don't care.  Any shoe is a good shoe and they have been wearing oversize since their mama gave them their first hand me downs.  Add that to the fact that some filipino feet are overly wide and I suspect they need a longer shoe to accommodate the width.  Just MHO

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
I buy those all the time but they are just knock offs.

I mentioned that above. I know the difference.

And if you notice Dave, the knockoffs come in Filipino sizes. These D. Wades were size 11.5, very rare to find that here.

Jack is supposed to be looking in a few shops, let's await his report.

Another clue. The D. Wades and others are actually used but they are buffed up as new. And if you push down on the inside, the cushioning is soft. The knock offs are firm and not at all spongy.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The knock offs are firm and not at all spongy.

The knock offs come in all different shapes and sizes. 

Oops, sorry  I meant to say "You're right, Chris"  :hystery:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Jack is supposed to be looking in a few shops, let's await his report.

Jack HAS done his research and will Report Tomorrow,

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have seen them at the ukey-ukey stores.  Those are generally used US goods.  They seem to be looking for quality and name over fit. 

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have seen them at the ukey-ukey stores.  Those are generally used US goods.  They seem to be looking for quality and name over fit.

Bingo King Tuk!  I believe it's not just the Filipinos wearing the name brand shoes, even though it's way off size.  As long as they are told it's import from US, then it's the real deal?  For example, genuine NIKE shoes are actually manufactured in Asian under NIKE license but someone in the factory would steal the molding and sells it to unauthorized knockoff factories using inferior rubber material. But of course the labelling looks pretty real to me.  

Wearing the status symbol of name brand labelling (Levis, Louis Vuitton, Rolex, etc) seems to be a favorite pastime, even among the poor.   

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
But that would not explain why so many women wear undersized shoes... I see toes hanging off the front of slippers a lot...

That's because small feet were traditionally seen as a sign of wealth or breeding. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Curious how many months or years it takes for the average Expat to stop being distracted by Filipinas and start noticing poorly fitting shoes Flipinos wear? :89: 

Or is it more a function having enough time to simply relax slow down and observe things more closely?  :10001:

• Like 3