Forget All Other Budget Questions - $300 A Month?!

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Wife and I have talked about living on the cheap, on a tight budget funded only by her and her p18000 / $400US take home pay.  I think she might be planning for my untimely demise, but since I'm currently worth more alive than dead (at least on paper :lol: ),  I lend some credence to her "worst case scenario" financial budgeting preparations.   Here's the breakdown if we stay in same 3 bdrm/2 bath, 90 sqm bungalow house and just cut back spending (in pesos): 

rent....5000

elec....3200

visa....2000

internet....1200

cable...500

city water....100

groceries (and transport to fetch them)...5000

booze and other medicinals...10000   1000

Of course, you need some cash and credit for emergencies, and a practical wife, but it can be done.  I have to have air-con at night so electric bill is high, but I'm willing to stop drinking beer and substitute emperador lite instead.  Hopefully, it never comes to this, but if you really want to live here, or cannot afford to live elsewhere....living like a king for $400 a month!   :lol:    :cheersty:

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I'm paying 11,000php for rent, almost 5,000php for electricity and water and about 2,500 every week for groceries. Add on that all the other crap, phone loads, restaurants, and dates, medical, and shopping..

I still have bills in the USA as well.

Maybe some can do $300 a month but not me.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

yup .... sounds good until the unexpected happens like what happened to us or mike b ..... with us the first time it was p117,742 hospital + 26,900 dr.'s fee ..... this time it was p33,000 for adventest hospital and p154,274.04 for riverside hospital + p37,600 dr.'s fee + p368,000 for pacemaker and surgeon .... cardiologist and anesthesiologist .... 368,000 was a package deal ..... total was approx p699,916.74 or $15,215 .....

it is one thing to come here with minimum monthly funds but you better have a damn good back-up plan or able to lay your hands on quick cash ..... and by the way philhealth w would not pay any of my 2nd hospital stay as they claimed it was a continuation of my first stay ...... only paid p7000 as part of the surgeons fee .... the adventist hospital again gave us a small seniors discount where as the riverside hospital did not and asked for a senior citizen card which of coarse i don't have ..... 

so while living on p20,000 a month may look doable and a great adventure you better think twice ..... we have lived on approx p43,000 for the past 8 + years and managed to save up a little .... also thank god for 401k plans ..... and you better have a back-up plan also ..... but then what do i know ..... i get my info from the internet and youtube ...... :tiphat: :hystery: :hystery: :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

almost forgot my meds are now running about p7,000 to p8,000 per month looks like that will be life-long .... as much as our monthly rent ..... thank god i am on a 13a and pay no visa fees or have to leave the country for the annual .... that is another cost that most people forget to account for .... just saying

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

$300 Well our budget will be twice this amount, and with no rent i know we should be fine , but this is for everyday living there will be another amount being put away each week for the just in case and the treats we may want too, life can be sweet if you want it to be,

Time to wake up from my dream now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
$300 Well our budget will be twice this amount, and with no rent i know we should be fine

and from the other thread

Some may say i am boring

Well Steve, some will surely say your life will be boring on that budget   :hystery:   :hystery:   :hystery:   :cheersty:

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Naga is south of Cebu City.

There is more than one Naga City, in Philippines.  A search of the video maker's web site shows that the Naga city he refers to is in

Naga City, Bicol

Oh ok.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Well Steve, some will surely say your life will be boring on that budget

But what if you have everything you are wanting and again the budget is for your monthly living, yes a big BUT, but until i get there its all in my head, well in the bank really

• Like 1

Paul Giblin
Posted
Posted

Currently my area of interest in living is Medellin, Cebu.

I am sure I have enough money put aside for any emergency or 2

....so am I living in Canberra, Australia. Quietly but comfortably on a cleaners wage. I have a rented 2 bed, 1 bathroom, Townhouse. I live fairly quietly - drink and eat at home, rarely go to clubs or whorehouses ;)

I'm trying to get an idea of transferring my simple working mans life to Medellin. I think Chris Wrens videos are actually quite instructive for what I'm after. In fact he seems to go out to resorts and things more than i would be likely too. Like a retired person in Australia I'd be happy with a weekend away a month. And I'm more interested in the locale then the hotel.

I'd expect to set my budget around the $1000 USD per month but any hints to drive that lower is why I watch people like Chris.

The hardest part of controlling my budget would seem to be my girlfriend..... different country, same doo doo :)

• Like 3