Forget All Other Budget Questions - $300 A Month?!

davewe
Posted
Posted

To answer the other part of Tim's question, yes you can reduce the fisheye effect on your GoPro but then no one would know you're a rich Kano with an expensive camera, living on $300/month :)

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
I think Chris Wrens videos are actually quite instructive for what I'm after. In fact he seems to go out to resorts and things more than i would be likely too. Like a retired person in Australia I'd be happy with a weekend away a month.

I do like his attitude.  Not sure I want to try his budget, though.  People think I am crazy living on $800 a month (or they just think I am crazy...)  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted
As an aside I would like to know can a GoPro video NOT have that 'fish eye' look? Just curious.

1. In Step 1: Import & Convert select your clip and click Advanced Settings. (File must be coming from the GoPro camera with the original file naming convention)
  2. In Advanced Settings check the "Remove Fisheye" option. Click OK.
  3. Add the clip to the Conversion List and then Convert the Clip. The fisheye effect will be removed.
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am afraid his accommodation does nothing for me.  At my age doing it tough is not on the radar.  A few comforts thank you.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am afraid his accommodation does nothing for me.  At my age doing it tough is not on the radar.  A few comforts thank you.

Living alone I would be fine in his apartment.  Then again... the house we just built, and I share with my wife, is smaller than his apartment  :tiphat:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It's all down to what we think we want. Me a garden would be nice.but would I use if.

Who knows I will just wait till I get there and then think about it

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It's all down to what we think we want. Me a garden would be nice.but would I use if. Who knows I will just wait till I get there and then think about it

Gardens are Great Steve, the Family Love ours for the Parties, said tongue in cheek, it is really the only time we see them,

my Dogs love their 300 Mtr and Azon walks it most nights now it is to Flower beds. Me, HUH! at some stage I know I have got to start thinking about a Another lawn mower Agggggggh!

Jack  :unsure:

• 3 months later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

I think this guy is on the up and up, mainly because he is falling into traps that I have seen others fall into, even myself. I believe he started out with 5k, I don't recall if $ or GBP as emergency fund and he was loaning it to other expats and accepting help from other expats who weren't making it either and overpaying them in return so his small nest egg was gone and he had no choice but to live on $300 a month for a few months. His house in Britain was leased and that was where his original budget of $575 a month was to come from. but his house was broken into and there were damages not covered by insurance and his tenants wanted to (break the lease) move out. He also wanted to have a GF with child living with him. I can understand the attraction and I believe he genuinely wanted to help but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. He bought a motorcycle (sold something to get money), Rouser 200, which may have been a smart move saving on transport costs daily, plus it was more than a minimal motorcycle which may be worthwhile under the (entertainment) section of the budget. I think he would have been better off with a different (lower cost) motorcycle (Kymco VisaR less than 40k php I believe, you just don't pass anyone) so he would have at least $1k in reserve but I'm not in his shoes.

I think he is being hit hard by medical costs that would have been tolerable on his regular budget but living on $300 before visa fees a month and having what I think is probably recurring bronchitis and going to the clinic (500php) each time and probably not going to the pharmacy with the best price and getting generic drugs and paying 58php each pill, I think it's eating what would have been his lunch.

He seems like a good guy and I'm sure someone would bail him out of the country if necessary because he does have property where he came from. He is in the ultimate school right now and I wish him luck! 

Oddly enough, he is a Brit and he gives costs/prices in dollars, not GBP or Php. I don't know if he is just pandering to whom he thinks is his target audience or what. I'd rather hear Php and do my own calculations but whatever.

That fisheye effect doesn't work for me either. I actually prefer when he uses his phone. This is my take. :tiphat:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

Not sure if my last post worked but here goes again!!   This guy is giving me confidence in being able to survive on $1000 a month (would have been a lot more if the markets were better), dont worry I would still have the cash for emergencies.    I was saying earlier that the only NAGA I know is the saying.....Not A Golfers As.....!!!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
This guy is giving me confidence in being able to survive on $1000 a month (

If you are talking US$ you will do fine on $1,000  a month.  If you are talking about Australian dollars, survive is a good word.

• Like 2