What Keeps You In The Philippines?

BobP
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone,

I have seen a lot of things that get under your collective skins while living in the Philippines.  I am interested in what is keeping you in the Phil?  

I am a newbie to this forum and am strongly considering a move to the Phil.  My plan is to come visit in Jan and see what I think and to see how my internet love interest get along in person.

I am from the USA and as you guys from Australia and the UK know from living in developed nations is VERY different than living in Phil or other 3rd world countries.

So, please tell me reasons for staying and living in the Phil.  I would imagine everyone's first and maybe only answer will be their mate, spouse, gf.

This is a great forum and I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks guys!

Bob

:cheersty:

• Like 4

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

"I would imagine everyone's first and maybe only answer will be their mate, spouse, gf."

Certainly it's true many guys are there for their spouses/gfs. I think though you'll find many guys living in the Philippines do so because there's something in the quality of life that keeps them there. My wife and I started there many years ago. After 5 years of Living in the Philippines we went to the U.S. Now, 25 years later we're soon to move back to the Philippines.

We're going back for the atmosphere, the heat, the feeling of (at least perceived) freedoms, cost of living, travel opportunities, family, friends, and most of all...clean government. Just kidding on that last one. The Philippines is certainly not for everyone but I personally feel more comfortable there than I do here in the United States.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend. I hope you enjoy your visit there. Where will you be staying and for how long? Being in the wrong location would absolutely be a deal breaker for me so, if possible, try to get around and see at least a few different areas. Let us know how your visit goes.

• Like 5

BobP
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone! Great comments.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This is not in any particular order.

(1) My wife and daughter.

(2) I can live here on a smaller budget than the UK.

(3)I am getting used to the BS here  and it costs me 4x less than the BS in the UK.

(4) I live 200 yards from the beach and could not afford to in the Uk.

(5) My arthritis is virtually non-existent here because of the warm weather.

(6) Bucket baths.

(7) Not having to retrain(and pay for it)every 5 years just to do the job I was doing for many years.

(8)85% less stress.

That`s all I can think of for now I will add some more later if I remember them.

Couldn't have put this any better

Jack  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

No particular order:

1.  Tropical climate, no more snow or cold weather

2.  Lots of coastline, beach, tropical fish, coral, etc if you choose to live near the water 

3.  Lower cost of living provided you do not try to recreate the USA lifestyle in every detail

4.  Love the people, I have found them to be warm, friendly, outgoing, helping, and accepting of expats provided you treat them with respect.

5.  Enjoy the culture

6.  Wife is Filipina and she provides with "buffer" to the stress you referred to in your OP.

7.  English widely spoken so you can go most anywhere and have minimal problems

8.  Lots of affordable public transportation if you choose not to drive

9.  A large variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, and seafood at very reasonable cost

We live in a small town.  The folks are friendly and the wife's family also lives in the immediate area.  I am a small town guy, and I expect I would not be nearly as content if I were living in one of the larger cities.

That about sums it up! :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

As the others said for the most part sex and cost of living is why many learn to deal with the small inconveniences found there. 

One thing for sure Bob, the weather will be very familiar to your hometown except tornadoes.  :unsure:

Good luck! :cheersty:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am from the USA and as you guys from Australia and the UK know from living in developed nations is VERY different than living in Phil

I am only starting to comprehend how deep that statement is.

If you were living in Chicken, Alaska and you moved to Makati, Philippines you would be moving from a backwoods, no frills, undeveloped area UP into what seems like a first world culture in terms of amenities AND prices.

On the other hand, if you moved from an upscale area of L.A. to a remote province of Philippines you would be doing the exact opposite.

So is all in the perspective.  Trying to tell other people what keeps me in the Philippines depends so much on THEIR scale of reference that is is very hard to do in more than very general terms.  So, in general terms,  I stay here because I like it and so far can afford to live in my chosen area, and its better than the alternatives that I know of.

• Like 4