Traffic In Philippines

mogo51
Posted
Posted

After reading a post about traffic congestion in Dumaguete, thought it may be a discussion about what it is like all over Philippines and indeed other locations, in my instance Thailand.

How do other members living in Dumaguete perceive the traffic conditions there?

I reside in Pattaya, Thailand and traffic is horrendous, particular this time of the year where it is extreme to say the least.  As I write this post, I am hopeful that another week or two at the most and things will subside.  However, even then, traffic is outrageous.

Although Pattaya has only really mushroomed over the past 15 or so years, did they learn anything about traffic problems throughout the world - indeed did they even think about it?  Answer No.  Narrow, winding roads, no pedestrian footpaths (if there is, they are full of bikes and food stalls).  No overall planning.

I live off the road that connects Jomtien and Pattaya (for those that know the area).  The roadway is always busy, bikes and cars race up and down late evenings and early mornings, how there are not more accidents is beyond me.

I could write a page about the state of the roads, where they 'fix' potholes etc, only to see them washed out by the first rain fall.  Do they learn anything?  No just keep doing same same.

So be pleased to hear from other members over Phils as to how they are seeing road conditions there.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Mogo,

I believe the only area where traffic or driving discipline is somewhat an organized chaos, is inside the formal base in Subic.  Although I haven't been there for awhile, I would assume that road maintenance (pot holes, street and traffic lights) are well maintained?

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hey Mogo,

I believe the only area where traffic or driving discipline is somewhat an organized chaos, is inside the formal base in Subic.  Although I haven't been there for awhile, I would assume that road maintenance (pot holes, street and traffic lights) are well maintained?

I have only ever been there once Jake an that was about 5 years ago.  It is a very impressive place but from my investigations, out of my price bracket.  It will only get worse they are saying now, as there is a reactivated military treaty between US and Phils, due to the wonderful Chinese playing 'look at me' in the China Sea?  Again our members may be able to comment on that, if they reside in the Freeport Zone.

One of my main reasons for joining this great forum, was to get advice and opinions on various places that members experience. I think you are back in the States now Jake, but have spent a lot of time in Phils?  Your experiences would be well appreciated.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
How do other members living in Dumaguete perceive the traffic conditions there?

The traffic in Dumaguete is fine so long as I stay off the roads from 7:45 am to 9:15 am and from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm. (unless its a Sunday and then all times of day are fine.)

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
So be pleased to hear from other members over Phils as to how they are seeing road conditions there.

I live 20 km south of Bacolod. Week days, it takes the girls 1 hour ~ to get to school and to return at night so that would be 20 kph. Sometimes they are late and when late, they are called absent and not allowed in the class. Tuesdays are very slow due to markets. The 4 lane highway is quite good but congested and with road hoggers/dwellers/mechanics. Road trips around the island average the same speed of about 20 kph unless on a motorcycle. Optimum gas mileage for cars is at 73 kph.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I live 20 km south of Bacolod. Week days, it takes the girls 1 hour ~ to get to school and to return at night so that would be 20 kph. Sometimes they are late and when late, they are called absent and not allowed in the class. Tuesdays are very slow due to markets. The 4 lane highway is quite good but congested and with road hoggers/dwellers/mechanics. Road trips around the island average the same speed of about 20 kph unless on a motorcycle. Optimum gas mileage for cars is at 73 kph.

My Old C/O used to tell us. If you Know the traffic is bad on a sort of scheduled basis, you need to work with that in mind.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I always avoid driving into town during the morning and evening rush hours, but outside of those, here in CDO is not too bad. But parking can be a real problem. Outside of the town the roads are generally quite quiet but progress can be slow if stuck behind one of the many slow, overloaded trucks. The state of the roads is generally quite bad also, with many potholes. Very few of the traffic lights work which considerably adds to the congestion downtown. I found the roads in Thailand generally very good, certainly compared to Phils. It's the standard of driving that is the main problem. If you are used to driving in Thailand you will have developed the neccessary defensive driving techniques which will stand you in very good stead over here.

Ken

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Here in Los Banos the traffic problems are mainly caused by the Local traffic officers !! ( LBTO )

Los Banos is Mid way between Santa Cruz and Calamba, and for some reason Traffic going to Santa Cruz gets priority !! 

its a 4 lane highway but the LBTO in their wisdom make it 3 lanes for those going to Santa Cruz and 1 lane towards Calamba !

this normally happens in the mornings from 09.30 to 12.30 and in the afternoons from 2pm until 5pm !

funny thing is when the LBTO are not controlling the traffic it flows normally with no hold ups !!

Even the Local mayor tried Controlling the traffic at the major junction Known as "The Crossing " after 10 mins he gave up !

its quite funny some mornings sitting in Jollibee watching the LBTO  directing the traffic espec when they forget they have just waved on 2 lanes of traffic going head on !!

In Calamba they do the same but the traffic flow is a lot better and they often change the lanes so that both both Santa Cruz Traffic

and the traffic going to Manila etc get to have 3 lanes.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
The traffic in Dumaguete is fine so long as I stay off the roads from 7:45 am to 9:15 am and from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm. (unless its a Sunday and then all times of day are fine.)

That's the key across the entire Philippines including Metro Manila and QC.  Around 0600-0930 and 4 PM onwards, avoid.

Stating the obvious, but with a purpose in mind... if you can avoid settling in a heavily populated urban city, you have a chance to avoid the worst of it. Many second and third tier cities and provincial capitals, that have all the essential services and amenities, have barangays from which you can access most of your regular daily and weekly needs while only experiencing short stretches of the local congestions. The plaza and market areas of cities are usually congested since they were never designed or laid out with the current population levels or transportation modes in mind

You did add the caveat about town plaza's and market areas.

But the truth is, certain provincial capitals have horrendous traffic flow problems, so it takes a bit of advanced study.

I have written quite a bit about traffic in Baguio and San Fernando La Union, both moderate size towns but confined to a very small area.

Then Cebu, where I have never been, but heard enough about, mostly through this forum.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4