Traffic In Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have spent some time in Thailand, specifically Phuket. Thailand has one of the worst road fatalities statistics in the world. Phuket is even worse, so bad to the point that the government doesn't even keep official counts. Oftentimes, those injured on the road die on the way to hospital because people don't obey the ambulance.

Is this the case in Phills? Or is congestion the major concern?

In the Philippines ambulance can mean cargo van with lights.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

One of the biggest problems I have seen with traffic (besides non-disciplined drivers) is poor planning, or more likely, no planning, in the roads. 

For example, here in Iloilo we have 4 main bridges leading into downtown proper - but all 4 bridges dump everyone on the ONE main road going into downtown.  So the bridges all back up during rush hour.  You can cross the road and take some smaller streets into town.  But even crossing the main road takes a while.

Another fun thing is going to SM City.  There are 4 lanes of traffic each direction, and all 4 lanes make a u-turn to get into the mall, and again all 4 lanes make a u-turn to leave the mall....  An intersection and maybe a signal light would have been a good idea?

I walk, so no problem for me ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
One of the biggest problems I have seen with traffic (besides non-disciplined drivers) is poor planning, or more likely, no planning, in the roads. 

Some of the engineers that design and build the roads got their pass in the board exam from a backer, not because they actually passed the required exams. The ones that passed with high marks are working overseas for real money.

Then the ones that stayed here got their jobs working for the city because their father and grandfather used to or still do work for the city, now in high positions. This is an accepted practice here and the reason why things are the way there are and will never change.

• Like 2

luke
Posted
Posted

Some of the engineers that design and build the roads got their pass in the board exam from a backer, not because they actually passed the required exams. The ones that passed with high marks are working overseas for real money.

That's the result of the brain-drain they accelerated in the 90's.

No need to stimulate investments, Just send all the smart ones overseas... and leave the crooks behind.

• Like 1