Traffic In Philippines

RBM
Posted
Posted

Be curious to know what Thais must to in order to obtain a drivers license? Wonder if like here where generally no test involved.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
switching sides of roads does not worry me at all

I was looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road for the first time, during our 5 week stay in New Zealand.  One of the reasons we booked 5 weeks was because we were under the impression that I would be able to use one of the bro-in-law's extra cars to get around.

It didn't happen.  I never asked and they never offered, and I think the reason was that there has been a lot of recent bad publicity about tourists causing really bad accidents in NZ.  The article I read said many are on rural 2 lane roads with little traffic, and the tourist wanders onto the wrong side.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

switching sides of roads does not worry me at all

I was looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road for the first time, during our 5 week stay in New Zealand.  One of the reasons we booked 5 weeks was because we were under the impression that I would be able to use one of the bro-in-law's extra cars to get around.

It didn't happen.  I never asked and they never offered, and I think the reason was that there has been a lot of recent bad publicity about tourists causing really bad accidents in NZ.  The article I read said many are on rural 2 lane roads with little traffic, and the tourist wanders onto the wrong side.

I have seen a video of a Canadian man being stopped in the UK by the police. The reason was he was driving on the wrong side of the road.They gave him a little talk and let him carry on whilst they followed him for a while. Easily done to drive on the wrong side of the road you Americans do it every time you drive haha

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Easily done to drive on the wrong side of the road

Especially in England.  All that traffic coming across on the ferry or chunnel from Europe with their driver's seat on the left side.  Its only natural to drive on the wrong side when the steering wheel is on the wrong side.  At least countries like NZ and Aus are unlikely to have many (any?) left side drives?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Easily done to drive on the wrong side of the road

Especially in England.  All that traffic coming across on the ferry or chunnel from Europe with their driver's seat on the left side.  Its only natural to drive on the wrong side when the steering wheel is on the wrong side.  At least countries like NZ and Aus are unlikely to have many (any?) left side drives?

Actually I saw quite a few steering wheels placed correctly on the left side while in NZ.  They were all classic American muscle cars.  Bro-in-law says you have to get a special license to drive them.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
and I think the reason was that there has been a lot of recent bad publicity about tourists causing really bad accidents in NZ.  

True. There is a TV show called Highway Cops from NZ and it was stated there.

• 1 month later...
obda
Posted
Posted

I have spent some time in Thailand, specifically Phuket. Thailand has one of the worst road fatalities statistics in the world. Phuket is even worse, so bad to the point that the government doesn't even keep official counts. Oftentimes, those injured on the road die on the way to hospital because people don't obey the ambulance.

Is this the case in Phills? Or is congestion the major concern?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

ambulance.

:hystery:  Here in Dumaguete City we have 3

In all Seriousness though, Congestion even down here is appalling and Yes they Don'/Wont move over for an Ambulance either, if you have an accident on the South side of the City you are more likely to get killed while you are in the Ambulance due to another Accident.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Or is congestion the major concern?

The congestion here makes Interstate 5 between Fort Lewis and Seattle during rush hour in a rainstorm seem like the Indy 500. Lots of cars, zero road courtesy and obedience to traffic laws.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Thailand has one of the worst road fatalities statistics in the world.

Do you suppose its because they drive like in Philippines but faster?  I truly believe the reason there are not more road deaths here is that the average motorist cannot get up enough speed.  But there are lunatics weaving in and out of the traffic on their motorcycles at high speed.  Some of them are foreigners on big bikes.

Yes they Don'/Wont move over for an Ambulance either

One of the things that impresses me on the north side of the city, on the national highway between Sibulan and downtown Duma, is that I have never seen an ambulance go by where people did not do their best to get out of the way.  It seems to be one of the few traffic rules that people in that location follow.

• Like 2