Traffic In Philippines

RBM
Posted
Posted

Mogo been a couple years since I was in Pattaya, not sure population but guess it's less than Cebu. I rode there last time and consider it far better than Cebu. Less congested and better street conditions.

As said was a couple years ago.

Most towns and just about all cities here are pretty chaotic. One exception (apart from places mentioned) would be Legaspi City where I have found drivers to be very civilized and polite. Before I get lambasted here last visit was 5 years ago....Maybe changed but think, hope......not.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I always avoid driving into town during the morning and evening rush hours, but outside of those, here in CDO is not too bad. But parking can be a real problem. Outside of the town the roads are generally quite quiet but progress can be slow if stuck behind one of the many slow, overloaded trucks. The state of the roads is generally quite bad also, with many potholes. Very few of the traffic lights work which considerably adds to the congestion downtown. I found the roads in Thailand generally very good, certainly compared to Phils. It's the standard of driving that is the main problem. If you are used to driving in Thailand you will have developed the neccessary defensive driving techniques which will stand you in very good stead over here.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Ride a bike and drive a car here, the only trouble over in Phils will be getting used to driving on the other side of the road.  But you are right about the wonderful Thai drivers (and many half wit farangs), you can never relax driving here, expect the unexpected is the rule.

I agree with you regarding the roads, but just some high traffic areas are poorly constructed and just to not hold up in wet conditions.

I am waiting to see how the famous Sukhamvit Road underpass near Pattaya Clang will hold up on the first downpour, as the area is normally a lake under those conditions!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Mogo been a couple years since I was in Pattaya, not sure population but guess it's less than Cebu. I rode there last time and consider it far better than Cebu. Less congested and better street conditions.

Most towns and just about all cities here are pretty chaotic. One exception (apart from places mentioned) would be Legaspi City where I have found drivers to be very civilized and polite. Before I get lambasted here last visit was 5 years ago....Maybe changed but think, hope......not.

How have you found the experience there to here, did you reside in Pattaya?  Traffic has got worse over the past few years here without a doubt.

How did you find the transition to the other side of the road?

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
My Old C/O used to tell us. If you Know the traffic is bad on a sort of scheduled basis, you need to work with that in mind.

The window of opportunity is between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM.

the other jp

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I have just spent the afternoon and early evening stuck in Cebu City traffic. The traffic situation is abysmal as is the standard of driving. If they were clever and planned it properly then the situation could be improved mightily, however there's not a cat in hell's chance of that happening.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always avoid driving into town during the morning and evening rush hours, but outside of those, here in CDO is not too bad. But parking can be a real problem. Outside of the town the roads are generally quite quiet but progress can be slow if stuck behind one of the many slow, overloaded trucks. The state of the roads is generally quite bad also, with many potholes. Very few of the traffic lights work which considerably adds to the congestion downtown. I found the roads in Thailand generally very good, certainly compared to Phils. It's the standard of driving that is the main problem. If you are used to driving in Thailand you will have developed the neccessary defensive driving techniques which will stand you in very good stead over here.

Ken

I am waiting to see how the famous Sukhamvit Road underpass near Pattaya Clang will hold up on the first downpour, as the area is normally a lake under those conditions!

They had just started it's construction when I moved permanently to Phils. I too would be very interested in how it copes with a downpour. Especially as Sukhamvit is frequently prone to severe flooding. The last time I was in Saudi 27 people were drowned in their cars, in a newly constructed underpass in Jeddah, when it filled to the roof in minutes in a severe thunderstorm. I would certainly avoid it in such conditions.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Hey Mogo,

I believe the only area where traffic or driving discipline is somewhat an organized chaos, is inside the formal base in Subic.  Although I haven't been there for awhile, I would assume that road maintenance (pot holes, street and traffic lights) are well maintained?

Traffic is terrible here in Subic and the streets are full of potholes.  Don't ever come here.

Seriously, as I have mentioned before, driving and traffic are one of the top reasons why I chose to live here.  The main road, Rizal, occasionally backs up at rush hour so you might get stuck for 2 signal light cycles instead of 1 or none.  Usually a traffic cop will get things moving before that ever happens.  There are a lot of commuter buses at rush hour taking workers to the industrial parks.  There are only 3 main signals in the downtown area; the rest are 4 way stops and everyone actually stops and gives way according to rules.  There are traffic cops at the busiest intersections during busy times.  Even if they have a signal light, there are traffic cops standing off to the side.  No trikes and almost no jeepneys allowed.  A few jeepneys are allowed to pickup and drop-off at 2 or 3 spots before heading out to Morong.

If you like, you can head out towards Cubi and onward to ocean adventure for a relaxing drive or bike ride, with almost no traffic.  20-25 km each way, rolling hills, through a protected rain forest.

They are getting better with the roads and potholes.  There are several recent improvements to fix drainage problems which help destroy the road during the rainy season.  Rizal had ongoing pothole problems the first rainy season I was here but has been completely repaved, so it is better now and hopefully it holds up for a while.

The freeport still has a lot of work to be done to makes all areas look nice, but the driving can't be beat, as far as I know.

What is the catch?  Cost, of course.  It does cost a lot to live here and you do need a car.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
What is the catch?  Cost, of course.  It does cost a lot to live here and you do need a car.

Thanks for the very accurate summary. You could add that you could spend even more and live in Anvaya Cove, which is delightful, but if you can afford to do that you can afford to have a full time driver. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
It does cost a lot to live here and you do need a car.

I had a car 6 years and drove everywhere Metro Manila, QC, all of Luzon. I managed, but at a cost. Event simple parking fees do add up.

Now without a car, but commute by bike. Occasionally ride buses, sometimes jeepneys. Yes, it's bit humbling, but in some ways preferable, and cheaper. Gina rides a motorbike. Now with 2 kids heading for schooling (private school, 22 km round trip). within the next 2 years, we need a car again.

That will be out of necessity. Again manageable, but not something I look forward too. Local traffic, even around a small city like Vigan, gets congested, 7 - - 9AM and around 5 PM.

RBM
Posted
Posted

How have you found the experience there to here, did you reside in Pattaya? Traffic has got worse over the past few years here without a doubt.

How did you find the transition to the other side of the road?

As I spend time in either or both Aussie or NZ each year switching sides of roads does not worry me at all. One adjusts immediately, just if pulling out of a driveway must think a bit.

From my experience no comparison between Thailand and Phillipines. Thai roads especially highways are far superior to here, discipline in my opinion is almost the same. Personally I Rate Filipino drivers worse, more rude and selfish.

Last Sunday I rode just a few KMs Bogo to Sogud, at 9am. Guess about 25km. One Ceres bus on its side speeding around a bend. Little further on a large over loaded truck lost its cargo speeding on a bend. Blocked the highway for hours. Yes definitely worse here.

This was my main reason for leaving Cebu city, pollution and terrible traffic. Now residing here in Negros Ocidental far less traffic but still have the crazies. One must be always alert.Advantage for us we can walk to banks, parks and supermarkets and believe it or not on a sidewalk.u