Teaching English To Koreans In Manila?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Another way to do it, and probably legal is to teach English over the internet. My wife does that part time. She works as little or as often as she likes, and hours to suit. With bonus she gets about $6 US per hour. Actually it's per 45 minutes but she has to do a feedback on each student so each lesson takes an hour of her time. If you are a native English speaker (UK or US etc) they pay more, about $10 US. They are based in Taiwan and teach Chinese and Korean students.

My wife was also doing that for about 6 weeks, company based in HK. Strictly Chinese students. No certification requirement. The come on was that you can work whenever you like but after the first month you have to book a minimum number of classes between 7pm-11pm when they have all their demand. She actually liked it but couldn't do it with the 3 year old. There's a reason these companies choose the Philippines and it's not because the quality of English is high.

It seems the company my wife works for is more flexible. She rarely works in the evening, and only then if it suits her. She normally works in the morning and there is no minimum amount she is required to work. This is her second year of doing it now and she really enjoys it. You do need a reliable internet connection though.

Ken

• Like 1

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ken

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Would restrictions still apply after I marry my Filipina gf?

If you are married to a citizen and have a Section 13a visa you do not need an AEP (Alien Employment Permit). You have the right to work in the Philippines and make slave wages.

Correct, as that late British turon/lumpia seller was written up a few times in the newspapers so he must have been legally working. He wasn't hiding.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Hope this helps, and hope I have not broken any rules by providing names of companies etc

It helps tremendous, I'm sure, and I see no broken rules.  I do wonder about one thing.  When things got a bit tight for me I went to Qualfon and inquired if they would hire a foreigner and they said the foreigner must be less than 60 years old.  That did not work for me.  Do you find that other companies have similar age restrictions for new hires?

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hope this helps, and hope I have not broken any rules by providing names of companies etc

It helps tremendous, I'm sure, and I see no broken rules.  I do wonder about one thing.  When things got a bit tight for me I went to Qualfon and inquired if they would hire a foreigner and they said the foreigner must be less than 60 years old.  That did not work for me.  Do you find that other companies have similar age restrictions for new hires?

Yes, many organizations within the BPO industry have age restrictions. However in regards to teaching, no, especially the online teaching, they don't seem to care how old you are so long as you are making them money.

I am enjoying the teaching from home, and I have no teaching degree etc. I did  teach while living in the UK and Canada, but not as a registered teacher.

The freedom of working from home is amazing and I wish I had done this many years ago. I get to say good bye to my little girl every day when she goes to school and I am the first person she sees when she comes home. I tell all my students why I work from home and that my daughter is my first priority, so they are not surprised or annoyed when she comes home and gives me a hug and tells me she loves me! I get to eat lunch with her and I am here when she needs me.

I charge what I want to charge, work when I want to work, teach what I want to teach, teach who I want to teach...., it is the best job I have ever had! I save money on transport, not to mention the time and traffic headaches.

I have not had any problems with my age (60) from any of the organizations who have contacted me and asked if I would like to teach for them, and there have been dozens who have done this. Ironic really because I know the difficulties I had in finding work, and now I sit at home an turn it away!

Papa Carl

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
 Do you find that other companies have similar age restrictions for new hires?

60 is the compusary age of Retirement here in the PI, they can not get Employers Liability Insurance after that. So Proper Full time job after 60 is just not going to happen. 

• Like 2

Soupdragon1973
Posted
Posted

Wow Papa Carl thanks for all that info!!

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

like ABC365, Talk51, etc etc etc who primarily hire Filipino teachers and pay less but will also hire Expats who have English as a first language and pay a little more. 

I started teaching online for the first time in July, when I was ranked 187th out of 191 English Teachers. Verbling has grown since then and has more teachers. It is competitive but quite easy to join. They also market my profile on pages like Facebook etc. so they find the students for me.

I am currently enjoying what I do and could easily earn between 2,000 and 2,500 usd per month. Although I admit I am not that devoted and am making less than that, but not much less.

How many hours are you averaging a week now? (if you don't mind saying)

What would you guess a Filipina with a TESOL certificate and good enough English I actually wondered if she was western back when we first started messaging. 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

OK here we go, having lived in the Philippines for the last 9 years I can offer this.

Hope this helps, and hope I have not broken any rules by providing names of companies etc.

Papa Carl

Triple LIKE Papa Carl!  Glad to see on board again.  Stay for awhile, OK?  My oral skills needs drastic improvement.....he, he.

• Like 1