Pi Population Bomb: Retreat Or Dig In ?

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry, I'm a bit pessimistic about govt and private social services having any significant improvement.  Even if the population was held at zero growth, the current situation of improving education, job market and health care to the poor and needy is stagnant, in my opinion.  

My hat is off to Manofthecoldhand for giving us another reality check.  Well done sir!

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My opinion for all its worth. ( not much) 

I've been here for 5 years. Just a few bad experiences due to being new here. I've ironed out the wrinkles and have had no problems since. 

My wife will not leave to live in the states even with her Visa. So, we just plan to visit my friends and relatives when we go there. Hopefully she may change her mind. She is or was an RN. Manager of her unit until she retired last year. So, she should be able to land a job in the states even tho she is over 40.

She has her own home here in Davao and I've upgraded it to where it is now comfortable for me. Our neighbours are friendly but some are still a bit shy to speak because of their limited English.

I'm confident that after her parents pass away, we can both return to So. Calif to live in my home there. When that day comes our home here will serve as a vacation home for whenever she wants to return to visit. 

Hope this helped. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well, I am NOT now in the Philippines. The reason for leaving was indeed the education of my children, and their career prospects 

I have two sons and a stepson, spaced seven years apart. My 21 year old son was born in Manila but grew up in the UK, he is a merchant navy cadet so he is in a career which he could have followed had he stuck with Filipino citizenship, but he has the advantage of dual nationality and perhaps a better all round education. The 14 year old was born in the UK and wants to be a doctor; he is certainly better off in the UK education system. The seven year old is enjoying his first year in the British system and loves it; his mother is sure that he is doing better here.    

Our situation is very similar here in the US.

I understand how the expat friend feels. Our children enjoy too many important advantages living in the States. Once they move on to college and start their own life we plan long visits to Philippines. 

If we had no children we would still choose to live here the majority of the time. But I respect and understand why some love and make Philippines their homes.  :thumbsup: I could be very happy living in Philippines and enjoy a good life for not a lot of money.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: It's all about money!

Got it! Progress or stay very Comfortable. Not Got it!  Life will get as this Topic is all about.

The one thing I have Learned from my Time here is that life in the Philippines certainly does revolve around Money One way or the other.

No matter what we talk about here, there are not many Topics that do not mention that Supposed "Root of all Evil" (although, Another Topic could be raised on that particular issue)

JMHO  I am not trying to be Cynical or Negative But............Reality Can hurt but open Eyes. Yes?

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I think your friend has it right. Not with regards to doubling the population, but most population growth in the short term (9 years until 2025 is short term) is already set, whether people have a few more or less kids won't change the growth direction the Philippines has taken with its huge young population. In fact even if people had massively fewer kids in the coming years below replacement rate the population would still grow strongly until then. So yes, the population will grow, and the official figures for 2025 will be quite precise. 

The question is what that will mean for society, the economy. In my opinion and that of many economists the days of cheap unskilled labour are soon over, there won't be too much need for simple assembly work anymore, robots will do that quicker and better. Agriculture will not be as labour-intensive, services are already being automated by e-services. So in short, what will happen to all these millions of poor young workers? When the Philippines economy stops being able to absorb more young people in a decade or so (just a guess) is when the sh&t hits the fan. 

He seems to be able to afford a quality international education for his son, so I don't see the urgency, but generally I think he's right with his thoughts. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Got it! Progress or stay very Comfortable. Not Got it!  Life will get as this Topic is all about.

The one thing I have Learned from my Time here is that life in the Philippines certainly does revolve around Money One way or the other.

No matter what we talk about here, there are not many Topics that do not mention that Supposed "Root of all Evil" (although, Another Topic could be raised on that particular issue)

JMHO  I am not trying to be Cynical or Negative But............Reality Can hurt but open Eyes. Yes?

These guys, like the one in the OP, came over for early retirement and apparently had the option to go back. Most of us do not have that option.

I further think that early retirement at a younger age, to the PI,, is not necessarily the way to go. In particular those like the OP, who still wants to hunt and fish with his kids.  I still say poor planning, he could have had all that and still come here later.

And moving back is not as easy as it seems either. Re-entering the work force, age 50 and above?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

These guys, like the one in the OP, came over for early retirement and apparently had the option to go back. Most of us do not have that option.

I further think that early retirement at a younger age, to the PI,, is not necessarily the way to go. In particular those like the OP, who still wants to hunt and fish with his kids.  I still say poor planning, he could have had all that and still come here later.

And moving back is not as easy as it seems either. Re-entering the work force, age 50 and above?

In  post-2148-0-19145300-1455675388_thumb.gi my friend. In one   :thumbsup:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I think that we should work until age of 30, then retire until age of 50, and then work until you die.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

and then work until you die.

There are days I feel I am working harder than when I was at work, my wife often says Why are you tired, You've done Nothing! 

HEY!  post-2148-0-37782600-1455676175_thumb.jp it is very hard work being Lazy, You should try it  :hystery:  HA! she will say if I don't do anything I will just get sleepy. Exactly my Point Honey  :rolleyes:

On a serious note though, I am sure, if I had not had the Stroke I would run it out till 70

Jack :unsure:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft -glay,

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain

For promis'd joy"

Robert Burns

- To a Mouse, st.7  (1785)

Yes, things didn't turn out the way he foresaw and wanted it to . But he is very intelligent and an excellent planner from what I see and hear. So I'm trying to consider other reasons why he ended up in this situation... such as an unplanned and unanticipated pregnancy (His wife was close to 40 at the time of birth, methinks) and he might have already had things in the pipeline.

But overall.... you are right in that he wasn't fully aware of what he was up against here in consideration of what he wanted for his new son.  He's definetly not the first to face this dilemna and have to re-calculate things.

I'm sure we're all familiar with scenarios like this. Aren't we?

People change and so do their situations... constantly.

The one best word that I've found to describe 'life' is 'change'.  

• Like 2