Pi Population Bomb: Retreat Or Dig In ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
No matter what we talk about here, there are not many Topics that do not mention that Supposed "Root of all Evil" (although, Another Topic could be raised on that particular issue)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil."  Bible, 1 Timothy 6:10

"Lack of money is the root of all evil." George Bernard Shaw

Might as well measure twice and cut once.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
So I'm trying to consider other reasons why he ended up in this situation... such as an unplanned and unanticipated pregnancy

Hey Man,

I thought it, but you had the gut's to say it.

From my experience most Filipina's no matter what age they marry, feel unfulfilled without a child.

And that's a painful experience in our home with miscarriages

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The stepsprog is campaigning to have a sister. His Mummy is not at all keen on the idea. She never wanted children in the first place, but does a good job with the "blessing" that she acquired as a young woman. 

• 3 months later...
David B
Posted
Posted

Seems to me that he is nostalgic for activities he grew up with and wants for his son.  Among other things. 

The US is not a world leader in public education. With the means, a great education can be had most anywhere. Isn't living in the RP an education in itself?  Maybe try to expose him to other cultures too.

Life in the RP can be much like camping outside of his neighborhood. Road trips are plentiful. Fishing is a natural. Maybe hunting is limited, I'm not sure. Diving, surfing, sailing, all abundant.  Does he maybe miss the Iowa cornfields? Amber waves of grain? I'd trade my boy scout, baseball and football experience for those years in a foreign country any time. 

Population growth is a world-wide issue and a valid one, but not a crisis yet. I'm more concerned with the effects of climate change. 

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, David B said:

Isn't living in the RP an education in itself?  Maybe try to expose him to other cultures too.

Living in Philippines education in itself for a child? Sure, if you want him to grow up to be a Jeepy driver or run the local Sari-Sari. It's an honest job, but I'm sure we want better for our children. If you want him to have a good education, then you either have to move awey from the Philippines or move into a big city here and be prepared to pay for private education in an internstional private school.

Meny of the universitys here just seem to be a diploma factorys to get an OFW job. Fiances sister finished Lacson Maritime University to serve drinks to British Cruise turists. Most of the crew on the European cruise ship she works on is Filipino and have university degrees. Reason for that is the fact that Filipinos are much more willing to work for a small wage. She said that only the entertainers and people in charge are British (Or European) and they get a much much much higher wage. Oh well atleast shes earning much better than she would here, gets to see the world and there is no cost for her on the ship (food and a place to sleep).

Edited by Sander Martin

David B
Posted
Posted

We all understand that we're talking about a private education in the RP. Your concerns about quality are real. But I hope you're not saying that a high level education is not possible there.  I assume that the father aspires for his son to engage internationally, and in that regard, spending time in the RP is in fact educational, as it would be in any other country or culture.  That is how people become worldly.

I have no dog for a fight. I'm simply proposing that one need not leave to experience the items listed in the OP.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, David B said:

We all understand that we're talking about a private education in the RP. Your concerns about quality are real. But I hope you're not saying that a high level education is not possible there.  I assume that the father aspires for his son to engage internationally, and in that regard, spending time in the RP is in fact educational, as it would be in any other country or culture.  That is how people become worldly.

I have no dog for a fight. I'm simply proposing that one need not leave to experience the items listed in the OP.

Higher education is possible everywhere in the world, but in countries like RP is much more limited and expensive. Finland and Estonia for example rank quite high in education and bulk of the schools are goverment run (free). I bealive that if you want to have a similar education for your child here, then you need to enroll them into expensive high end private schools (and you have to move to an area that has one).

If you look at the global avarage IQ index, then Philippines is in the back section of the list. I dont think Filipinos are stupid. Its just lack of higher education. Like i said that unfortunately alot of the universitys here just act as diploma factorys for OFWs...

In the end its the fathers choice. If he and the wife feel like their child would have a much better future somewhere else and they are willing to move, then i wish them luck.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/global-school-rankings-interactive-map-shows-standards-of-education-across-the-world-10247405.html

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A wise man once said 'money is only handy if you don't have it'

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Living in Philippines education in itself for a child? Sure, if you want him to grow up to be a Jeepy driver or run the local Sari-Sari. 

So you mean to tell me almost the whole population works as a Jeepney driver or owns a sari sari store. I wonder who designs buildings, how a bank operates with no staff or managers, who drives the ambulances or who cooks in the restaurants at 5 star hotels.  Surly some people got a good education in the Philippines or did they all go overseas then come back.

• Like 3

David B
Posted
Posted

Thank you mr.Goodfellow.  And everyone in every clinic, hospital, office, firm, etc. purchased their degree or certificate from a corrupt official. The only educated Philippinos are those who went overseas.  Those unhappy in the RP would probably be unhappy anywhere. 

• Like 1