Pi Population Bomb: Retreat Or Dig In ?

bows00
Posted
Posted

I disagree with your friends assessment based on what I know....

Your friend could have the best of both worlds by staying in the Philippines.  There are quality international schools there.  And when his son comes of age, he could move to the states for college, on his own.  I have a friend who did exactly that and eventually graduated from the University of Hawaii with a Mechanical Engineering degree and currently works with me.

And my friend has the luxury to return home during the holidays and he has a ton of fun visiting surrounding islands (i.e., Palawan) with his past school friends.  His parents are still retired there and are living the good life also.  I am sure there will be islands that your friend and his and son could visit as he is growing up there.  

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

NO JGF. Not all of the pople work as that...

But one could make a credible argument that a disproportionate number do. I doubt there are as many architects, bankers, ambulance driver or cooks for 5 star hotels as there are sari store owner, jeepney driver, tricycle driver and so on. It might be interesting to see a graph that gave the number of each in the country but I'm sure that nobody could give accurate numbers. How many unemployed nurses are there who can't even get their OJT hours working without pay in a hospital? 

Really I think education is the responsibility of the parents, everywhere, not just the Philippines. You can't just send the kids to school and you get what you get. Some schools are just daycare, and I'm talking about the US. Education can not just be hands off. It might be good to have the kids read some classic books and discuss it with them at the very least.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Before we get back on topic here lets sort something out. All members have to be aware that their statements can easily be misunderstood on a forum, it's not the same as face to face where you see the other person's expression or hear their laugh to comprehend what exactly is being said. We have something like maybe 100 emoticons to help explain the concept of a post so try to use them,

:pow:

If you as a member decide to post derogatory statements or what could be construed that way about any race whether the intent was tongue in cheek or not then it's best to reconsider or be certain the actually meaning is clear before hitting the post button.

Now let's get back on topic :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, robert k said:

But one could make a credible argument that a disproportionate number do. I doubt there are as many architects, bankers, ambulance driver or cooks for 5 star hotels as there are sari store owner, jeepney driver, tricycle driver and so on.

Yes I agree there are many sari sari stores and trike drivers but from what I gather is most westerners blame the education system without looking at the bigger picture. Many many Filipinos did not and do not have the same chance of a good education like most of us have, some families can only send one or two kids to school because thats all they can afford. Some start school but get taken out to help on the farm. Distance and cost of getting to school comes into play. Just because some people are not as educated as others does not mean it's all the fault of the school.

Then there's the unemployment issue, one has to eat and if there are no jobs available then driving a trike or opening a store may keep them fed.These might be some of those who did not have a chance of a good education.

I have mentioned before I pay the cost of a little girl to go to school in Guadalupe Cebu, she likes school and works hard at it so she gets good results.Yes it's a public school but there are costs that many could not afford. Even things like a costume for a cultural day which is part of learning, incidentally I paid for the material and her mother made the costume, she also takes an interest in her learning so not one of the sort of parents mentioned that dont. The school itself runs two shifts to cater for the numbers and this must be hard on the students as the first shift starts really early and the second ends late but unless the government throws more money at it then thats the best they can do but still I believe it is a good school.

shiri costume5.jpggrowning up fast.jpg

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that lately there seem to be far too many of these 'aggressive' type responses.  It was not so when I first joined this forum community.

Several of late relating to the 'new President' and now on this topic.  So far as Sander's comment goes, I realised that he did not mean the comment literally, but perhaps he could have phrased it differently!

Likewise, following the election, many are jumping on the 'anti Duterte' bandwagon and the guy has not even started the job.  We as 'foreigners' (although I have not got there yet), should be more cautious what comments we make IMO.

I can understand Jack's wife taking offence at some of the comments here.  Having met the lovely lady, she is a very intelligent person.  Sarcasm - as the saying goes 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'.

May I make a suggestion, let's all loosen up and just wait and see what pans out over the next few months.

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Read my reply to David again. Nowhere did i say that if your kid grows up in the Philippines, then they can only be a Jeepny Driver or Sari Sari owner.

He said that: Isn't living in the RP education in itself. I replied to that saying sure if you want them to be a Jeepny driver or Sari Sari owner. If they want something bigger, then they have to study. And you have to pay. If you want them to have a proper education, then you have to be willing to pay alot and move into a area that has an good private school.

And i never said driving a Jeepny or running a Sari Sari is bad. It's an honest job. Its the same back home. Not everyone grows up to be a Doctor or Engineer... we need the drivers and store keepers everywhere in the world.

I wonder how meny of the doctors and engineers in The Philippines came from poor slum familys? Not that meny i guess. People seem to forget that there are plenty of well off familys here aswell (not everyone lives hand to mouth) and these people can afford to send their children to expensive private schools and universities.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I have noticed that lately there seem to be far too many of these 'aggressive' type responses.  It was not so when I first joined this forum community.

Several of late relating to the 'new President' and now on this topic.  So far as Sander's comment goes, I realised that he did not mean the comment literally, but perhaps he could have phrased it differently!

Likewise, following the election, many are jumping on the 'anti Duterte' bandwagon and the guy has not even started the job.  We as 'foreigners' (although I have not got there yet), should be more cautious what comments we make IMO.

I can understand Jack's wife taking offence at some of the comments here.  Having met the lovely lady, she is a very intelligent person.  Sarcasm - as the saying goes 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'.

May I make a suggestion, let's all loosen up and just wait and see what pans out over the next few months.

Mogo

I have made a statement on the above issues so please lets get back to the topic or we may as well delete it. Bringing the new president's topic into this one will further throw it out so let's not mix threads. 

Everyone, drop it and move on.