Looking back, what would you change?

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2016 at 9:07 AM, manofthecoldland said:

A good, balanced assesment of your over-all, high quality of life here when looking at the other optiions available. I'm fairly sure that there are literally tens of millions of older men living in advanced economic countries that would happily trade places with you if given a magic wand.:6:

I think you're right with the number of men that would trade places. With the state of the world, I would suggest that your estimated number might even be on the low side. I think that as the the world slips further into the moral abyss and political correctness takes further hold; there will be countless men and women both that will be searching for a better way and place to live.

When that causes the Philippines to be truly "discovered", our low cost hideaway will change forever just as Hawaii and other places were forever changed into high cost, high speed cement jungles. Hard to say where people will go in the future. But for now I'm happy here in the islands with our retirement income, our children, and the peace of mind knowing that we can live comfortably as we watch the rest of the world head into decline.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Being still young in mind and having thought about this for a while,i would change nothing,

Yes there has been heartache and bad times, but good times too,

I have great children and wonderful grand children now if i change something from the past i may never have them,

Maybe i am blessed with these things and i do know life is getting better all the time ,

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

other than the little things that wouldn't change things...  like having more contact with my kids in canada and having paid off my line of credit sooner...  but any major changes in my life...?  not one!  because as most have already said - i wouldn't be here now...  and i wouldn't have met the most important person ever in my life...!

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I would have bought a place near to a river. We have had no garbage pick up for 2 weeks now. The maggots are crawling out only to be eaten by the ants.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, jpbago said:

We have had no garbage pick up for 2 weeks now.

Not sure where you are but that happened to me in Liloan Cebu many years back.  Turned out to be a new law that garbage needed to be 'segregated' or they did not have to pick it up.  One phone call to the mayor and they came to get it, but boy were they mad at my gf for calling the mayor on them.  

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Garbage pick up?  Got a match ha ha    :cheersty:  

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not sure where you are but that happened to me in Liloan Cebu many years back.  Turned out to be a new law that garbage needed to be 'segregated' or they did not have to pick it up.  One phone call to the mayor and they came to get it, but boy were they mad at my gf for calling the mayor on them.  

It has always been segregated since I have been here. The compost truck is quite reliable but not so for the garbage truck. I see that the neighbors garbage has not been picked up. The garbage truck has a unique horn and if yours is not out, they will circle back. The market has a place where they put their garbage so we brought ours there once but we got a scolding. Nobody knows where the landfill site is so I got a feeling that it is blue.

To keep on topic, the one thing that I would change would be to form a union like the Teamsters.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2016 at 4:44 PM, Gratefuled said:

Just one thing?  I would if I could change a lot of things. I probably should have kept my first house and just rented it out. It was (is) in a nice location and the area has a lot of new businesses. The street now is a boulevard. The new owners have really fixed it up nice. I was young and just married and needed a larger home. That was my reason for selling it. Oh WELL 

I bought my first house for $30k, now woth $400k, smart move.  But we could all be rich in hindsight.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic