Dumaguete - a great place to retire

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is a mid sized city and as such you must expect traffic.  I agree with Kev but I does go beyond peak hours by virtue of trikes mainly.  Here in Pattaya it is Songtaus that are the problem.  As I have said before there is no "Utopia" that I have ever found.

To just take a small matter in isolation, does not stop a place like Dumaguete being a fantastic location for an expat to hang his hat.  I was right in the middle of town and saw the congestion at its worst, but I also saw it outside of the business hours.  I experienced several wonderful restaurants,walked the boulevarde with my SO, went to beach areas (not great beaches but here just the same), met some great people, many from this forum.  Was shown hospitality and friendship from these people far beyond my expectations.  I doubt anyone who comes to Dumaguete to retire will live in the middle of town as we did. Most will  select an outer area that suits them.

They will be well serviced by good malls, good hospitals (I am assured), etc. that makes it a good place to retire IMO.  If there is a bit of traffic here and there so be it (unlike Pattaya everywhere all the time).

I should also mention that I met a couple of great members also in Iloilo, they were just as embracing of us and we have formed good friends there also.  But IMO Dumaguete is a better choice all round.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

good hospitals (I am assured)

This article suggest perhaps one good hospital out of three.

http://livingindumaguete.city/medical-and-hospital-care-in-dumaguete-philippines/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This article suggest perhaps one good hospital out of three.

That Max Veracity is a pretty smart dude.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That Max Veracity is a pretty smart dude.

Not sure about smart but looking at the number of women surrounding him in a photo it that article I would think he must have something of value. :SugarwareZ-004:

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is no perfect place - everyone is different and has their own ideas of perfection. If i had to choose a place to retire in the Phillipines tomorrow, id choose Duma. Visited Duma for a few days last year. Loved Dumas seaside bulevard. Iloilo is a seaside town that is closed to the sea. I lived here for 5 months and first time i went to the beach in the city (no seaside bulevard) was with Ron and Tim a week or so ago..... I have allways lived near the sea and i love to walk and drink next to the sea. Duma has been the only place so far in the Philippines (that i have visited), thats so open to the sea.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Agree Sander.

the person that wrote the article regarding the hospitals is very suspect and his veracity is very much in question.

He has been known to entertain young women in company with more senior members of the expat community.  From said report and particularly the picture, I suggest his opinion is not trustworthy but whatever they put him on there, I want to order a 44 gallon drum please.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

At 10 am this morning we caught a tricycle from lee plaza to Robinsons mall the traffic was very light. We left Robinsons about 1130 and the traffic was still very light,for a Saturday.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/10/2016 at 0:35 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not sure about smart but looking at the number of women surrounding him in a photo it that article I would think he must have something of value. :SugarwareZ-004:

From the smile on this face I would say there must be more women out of frame, down to the lower right.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Ahh now boys get your mind out of the gutter.  Dave is not like that, are you Dave???

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I am very attracted to Duma but would there be anywhere where I could keep a boat?