Dumaguete - a great place to retire

robert k
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

I am very attracted to Duma but would there be anywhere where I could keep a boat?

I don't think there are any piers with services you can tie up a private boat to close to Duma. One does see some larger boats anchored really close to shore for longer periods of time when they have a malfunction.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, robert k said:

I don't think there are any piers with services you can tie up a private boat to close to Duma. One does see some larger boats anchored really close to shore for longer periods of time when they have a malfunction.

Thanks. I did see a smallish cruising sailboat anchored off when I was last there. I do like Duma and indeed I like what I have seen of Negros generally... K's parents come from Canlaon but settled in Mindanao - would this qualify for the "one island separation rule" haha? (actually her parents are great as is the one sister whom she is close to) 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Methersgate said:

I am very attracted to Duma but would there be anywhere where I could keep a boat?

How big are you talking? 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

How big are you talking? 

30-40 ft GRP sailing yacht. K and I plan to start retirement by sailing home to the Philippines from Europe.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

30-40 ft GRP sailing yacht.

lucky you edited that as l was about to make a joke about a 3 foot boat. :hystery:

• 1 month later...
johnbarley
Posted
Posted

Are there any condos in Dumaguete that can be purchased by foreigners?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

Nothing that I would buy myself, but if the condo on the boulevard ever gets finished it will be nice.  They have been 3 years digging the foundation.  They stopped work many times.  They got flooded with rain a couple times.  But they have had a long dry spell until recently and I see they are ready to pour the concrete for the below ground segment now.  I only hope the recent rains do not set them back.  Not sure if its permits or budget that is holding them back but fingers crossed it will be a nice place 3 years from now.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

Yes but not luxury highrise types, more like efficiency apartments. Dave Houndriver showed where one was, across from the college and park on the national highway so one would have noise and horrific traffic. The price per square meter sounded high to me also for something so small, but housing is expensive near a college.

There has been a project on the boulevard to build something more upscale but it looks like years before that will be completed, if ever. Still noise and traffic but I think it would be a better investment "if" it's ever completed. Even with the smell of sewage piped to the ocean 1 km away. I'm sure there are others I don't know about but I would give anywhere a good hard look before making a decision.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2016 at 6:59 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

How big are you talking? 

Short answer is yes. In tambobo bay around 25km (guess) I have seen many nice sail boats moored. Believe it's a very sheltered spot, many seem to of made their boat their home. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Photo of Max Veracity surrounded by five girls lacks authenticity. He should have hired hospital nurses in uniform to pose for a picture with him.

For our visit next year to Dumaguete, I would look for available housing near a hospital. It could be one of the hospitals still under construction. Philippines as a retirement destination will only happen when we are no longer independent living seniors. The calculation is our current active retirement budget is sufficient for living expenses and hiring caregivers in Dumaguete or a similar mid-size city. Impossible to do this in the United States.