One Year Anniversary Here in the Phlippines

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 20 June 2016 at 4:13 PM, RonHenk said:

For new members of this forum and those contemplating retirement here in the Philippines. I will repeat what has been reiterated ad nauseam on this forum. Nothing, I say again, NOTHING beats "Boots on the Ground". One week, 3 weeks or a month simply does not cut it. You have to take root and settle into the everyday humdrum to truly experience what life will be like for YOU here. 

This is the best advice anyone could give. We have all seen the guys that come here, party and travel around for 2-4weeks and then decide that Philippines is the place to retire. When they do retire and settle into the day to day life, they get quite unhappy. Most of them just cant afford to party and travel for long periods of time and it can get quite boring.

Your scouting trips should have you live and spend like you would when you retire.

Visiting my fiance was fun on those 2-4week trips, but I personally found out quite quick that this country isn't for me long term. I came back 6 months ago for my sons birth and im counting the days to board our flight next month. I'm just bored out of my mind here. I told my to be fiance quite early in our relationship that if she wants to have a relationship with me, then she has to be willing to move out of Philippines.

Congrats on your 1 year tho Ron!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

I'm just bored out of my mind here.

Just wondering if it's maybe your age, location or some other reason you are bored. What will you be doing in your home country that you couldn't do in the Philippines? 

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Im still a young guy (29) and im not ready (not financely or mentaly) to retire :smile:

That would explain it.  Very good reason and understandable.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

That would explain it.  Very good reason and understandable.

I have met quite a few older guys that havent found their place here either. I guess it depends on the things a person is looking for. We are all different. I have seen guys who love this place to bits (even young fellows like me - example is Kyle Jennermann from "Becoming Filipino") and guys who dont get into the vibe. No point to live in a place if your hearth is somewhere else. We all have to find a place where we are happy :smile:.

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

It is probably my age and location JGF. Im not used to just laying around all day, i need something to do (work for example). Im still a young guy (29) and im not ready (not financely or mentaly) to retire :smile:.

Hey Sander, what kind of work does a young guy like you do there?  I have heard that it is almost impossible to find any decent work there, mainly because you are competing with the locals earning very low wages.   Just curious. 

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Congrats Ron, 

It's good to have someone from the forum, in my neck of 

Luzon

My place is close to Bulcan, in Caloocan.  Just waiting my time

to retired there from Seattle

Edited by oldutot
spelling
  • Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bows00 said:

Hey Sander, what kind of work does a young guy like you do there?  I have heard that it is almost impossible to find any decent work there, mainly because you are competing with the locals earning very low wages.   Just curious. 

Im not doing any.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Sander Martin said:

Im not doing any.

:hystery: My Sort of Job Oooops.jpg Sorry Guys Could not Resist. Bad I say BAD

lines (Bart).jpg Given myself 100 Lines:whistling:

• Like 2