An Old Problem Comes Back.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

What would be in the best interest of your son?

I'm not seeing any upside for him to have a U.S. passport at this point in his life.  What would the passport be used for?  I can't think of a positive use for it and most likely there is a scheme involved. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What would the passport be used for?

Seems quite likely she has another fish on the line and needs the passport to take the boy to the new fish's country.  That would be a good development for the boy in the long term.

Since Chris is not involved in the boy's life now, (through choice or pressure from the ex is his own business), then I suspect the only real problem would be if the boy is taken to the US and the new fish pushes the woman (and I'm sure it wouldn't take much pushing) into filing for child support. . . Uh Oh!

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Old55 said:

What would be in the best interest of your son?

Best interest does not apply right now.

At age 17 or sometime before he's 18 I would surrender the passport. As for the renewal, I'm playing hardball on that.

As for cases of child support being filed in the USA. That's actually a laugher, Joy still has her first marriage on file in the NSO, she would have to solve that first. My son is 7 years old. He would have to fulfill 4 years or residency in the USA holding full time employment, in order to sponsor his mother as a dependent.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As a side note I don't know about the USA but the UK has an agreement with the Child Support Agency where UK rules apply also in the Philippines. We have a website listing all the countries that respect claims from parents regardless what country they live in as long as the country has dual tax relationships.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, chris49 said:

As for cases of child support being filed in the USA. That's actually a laugher, Joy still has her first marriage on file in the NSO, she would have to solve that first.

Then the USA must be extremely different than Canada.  In Canada the only thing that enters into it is if the child thinks of you as one of the father's.  I say one of because, in Canada, if you move in with a girl long enough to have the boy call you Dad then you are a stepfather and liable for child support when you split with the mother.  I know a good friend whose kid had 3 daddy's, all paying child support.  Having been the victim of a vicious woman taking me for all I can get to support someone else's kid I would surely never laugh at the possibility of paying child support.  But if you find it amusing I am happy to give you a laugh.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I'd be careful of anything that could put me on the $ hook, especially if circumstances make it very possible that the child is not even mine.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am reasonably certain that Chris the OP had to sign an affidavit that the boy is his son. I think that would make it legally so and pure heck to undo, possibly impossible, even if the boy is not his biological son.

• Like 2