Golf another luxury most Filipinos cannot afford or ???

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Golf isn't really a team sport. Badminton, volleyball, basketball are team sports.

As for that free golf after 3.00 pm? I bet it's because the course is a ghost town that time of day. Hot.

Baseball and football are team sports. Ever wonder why there is not more interest in these team sports?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm really surprised that there are no miniature golf courses. They don't take up much space and could be played at night under the lights. Even lolo, lola and yaya could play. 

Just curious. One could brag about "hole in Ones" and even cheat.

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Baseball and football are team sports. Ever wonder why there is not more interest in these team sports?

I left out soccer in the team sports. I think it is the size of the field and effort and expense of it's maintenance.

Golf is an expensive sport because of grounds maintenance. I have known people who golf in a cow pasture, it gives new meaning to a hazard of which there are many, they are smelly and liberally distributed. But it doesn't cost much that way.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, robert k said:

I left out soccer in the team sports. I think it is the size of the field and effort and expense of it's maintenance.

Golf is an expensive sport because of grounds maintenance. I have known people who golf in a cow pasture, it gives new meaning to a hazard of which there are many, they are smelly and liberally distributed. But it doesn't cost much that way.

I've seen the AZKALS play on television in a nice stadium in Manila but still there are many many empty seats.

There is indoor soccer. Ever see it?

Kids in poor countries develop their skills in the street. Scouts are always looking for natural talent. Remember PELE? 

Yes, golf courses are expensive to build and maintain. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I'm really surprised that there are no miniature golf courses.

I agree they are not popular but come on down to Dumaguete and we'll go for a round of minigolf at Bambulo

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Football? Size is the obvious reason but Robert hits it on the head about a lot of the sports that we grew up with in the states. Size of area needed to play, cost of equipment it takes to play. But I keep saying: ITS JUST TO DAMN HOT!!! :hystery:.

Lets look Grate, these sports are essentially American exports to the world. Who exported them? The US Military. Basketball took off all over the world (indoor sport) Baseball took off in Korea and Japan. But not in the Philippines.

Jake an other US service members might be monitoring this. I would ask them if when the bases were still open how often did the troops play baseball and football here on base. There are exceptions to this naturally Puerto Rico, Cuba and Equatorial Latin America.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Remember PELE? 

I Remember seeing photos of Sevy Balisteros playing Golf on the Beach in Spain

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I Remember seeing photos of Sevy Balisteros playing Golf on the Beach in Spain

I used to play on base at Zaragoza. Not sand desert, the dirt and rock kind. The difference between the fairway and rough was the the amount of rocks on the ground. That place ate up golf clubs.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree they are not popular but come on down to Dumaguete and we'll go for a round of minigolf at Bambulo

So, there are miniature golf courses in the Philippines????  Not talking about Par 3 golf courses but the ones with little windmills, and carpet covered cement with lots of little obstacles all over.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Not talking about Par 3 golf courses but the ones with little windmills, and carpet covered cement with lots of little obstacles all over.

From their website (bambulo dot com)

Minigolf.jpg

• Like 3