Golf another luxury most Filipinos cannot afford or ???

davewe
Posted
Posted

I don't know how serious some of you are as to the original question about why Filipinos don't play and master golf. I have been playing for 50 years. IMO golf is not a sport - it is an obsession. Give a young man who fancies himself a decent athlete a club; watch the same guy who can nail a jumper, hit the curve ball or throw a football 50 yards, flail away with a stick and a tiny non-moving ball - well you either hate it or grow obsessive.

I will admit that during various part of my life I was a golf obsessive. I was on the course daily in my teens, parts of my 20s, 30s and 40s. I even fantasized getting good enough to do it for real - and I was never close to that level. I read all the books till the bindings fell apart. I changed my grip and swing as often as Tiger Woods.

So while some of the answers, like money and lack of facilities are true, IMO the real reasons is that Filipinos are simply not neurotic enough to become obsessive golfers. And perhaps that's a good thing.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, davewe said:

So while some of the answers, like money and lack of facilities are true, IMO the real reasons is that Filipinos are simply not neurotic enough to become obsessive golfers. And perhaps that's a good thing.

So, are you saying that golfers are neurotics"? IDTS

For competitive young men it is a challenge. For older men, it can become an obsession and a full time hobby.

The Philippines just does not have the desire of the young people nor the professionals to instruct any who do have the desire.

Basketball seems to be their choice but they will never qualify to compete seriously at world class level. They have to import black professionals who are often past their prime and give them citizenship to qualify at an international level.

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 8/27/2016 at 4:08 PM, Gratefuled said:

So, are you saying that golfers are neurotics"? IDTS

For competitive young men it is a challenge. For older men, it can become an obsession and a full time hobby.

The Philippines just does not have the desire of the young people nor the professionals to instruct any who do have the desire.

Basketball seems to be their choice but they will never qualify to compete seriously at world class level. They have to import black professionals who are often past their prime and give them citizenship to qualify at an international level.

The difference between neurotic and obsessive is pretty small. That's why the sport is perfect for Westerners and people with a bit of an obsessive personality. Some of the greatest players in history fit that pattern: Hogan, Player, Trevino and even Tiger quickly come to mind as single-mindedly obsessed men. Hogan practiced obsessively decades after he retired.

A story: My doctor when I was a teen upon finding out that I played golf told me he'd only played once. A talented athlete, his friends took him out on the course, showed him the grip and basic swing. He played 9 holes in 2 over par. He never played again - it was too easy and boring. Many spend an obsessive lifetime dreaming and working to shoot 2 over. 

While I am sure there are Filipinos and others from the 3rd world who have a bit of OCD, it's certainly more common in the 1st world. Most of our wives grew up dreaming of eating well, not of shooting 2 over lol.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

The difference between neurotic and obsessive is pretty small. That's why the sport is perfect for Westerners and people with a bit of an obsessive personality. Some of the greatest players in history fit that pattern: Hogan, Player, Trevino and even Tiger quickly come to mind as single-mindedly obsessed men. Hogan practiced obsessively decades after he retired.

A story: My doctor when I was a teen upon finding out that I played golf told me he'd only played once. A talented athlete, his friends took him out on the course, showed him the grip and basic swing. He played 9 holes in 2 over par. He never played again - it was too easy and boring. Many spend an obsessive lifetime dreaming and working to shoot 2 over. 

While I am sure there are Filipinos and others from the 3rd world who have a bit of OCD, it's certainly more common in the 1st world. Most of our wives grew up dreaming of eating well, not of shooting 2 over lol.

Interesting story and fact. Heres another interesting opinion. The definition of success  ( my college professor's opinon) once said and I quote, " doing something you like and getting paid for it". For many, like myself it was a challenge but not an obsession. The Senior Tour could very well be why old men still play the game. ( still talking about golf, ok) :popcorn: :smile:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2016 at 3:09 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not at all.  There are 3 that I know of in the Cebu area and 2 in the Dumaguete area and lots of expats golf here.  If the golf courses had to rely on foreigners they would go broke so there must be some filipinos golfing.  Its not my sport so I only hear about it second hand.

I know of 2 golf courses in Baguio. Baguio Country Club and Camp John Hay. I have heard there are 2 more making a total of four but I have not seen the other 2.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2016 at 7:47 PM, Gratefuled said:

I'm really surprised that there are no miniature golf courses. They don't take up much space and could be played at night under the lights. Even lolo, lola and yaya could play. 

Just curious. One could brag about "hole in Ones" and even cheat.

I have played a miniature golf course at Camp John Hay in Baguio.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:whistling: Seems there are many, Found a Listing that may surprise some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_golf_courses_in_the_Philippines 

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

I have played a miniature golf course at Camp John Hay in Baguio

So, they do have them here in the Philippines. I once wondered if it might be a good business. It's not expensive to play and easily maintained ( I think)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I once wondered if it might be a good business.

They are here, but about as popular as hula hoops.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:52 PM, Gratefuled said:

So, they do have them here in the Philippines. I once wondered if it might be a good business. It's not expensive to play and easily maintained ( I think)

Mini golf was a fad in the USA, 60's and 70's. By the 80's those courses were disused, later converted to skate board parks. Next came BMX bikes for kids. Then paintball and simulated combat action sports.

Combat sports like paintball are currently trending the Philippines. Where they have actual camouflage uniforms and play the games in disused buildings or in forest/jungle locations.

Golf courses do require large portions of land. There in San Pedro Laguna and in Bantangas, some of the courses are owned by corporations, backed by Koreans. I have played most of them.

Imagine mini golf in a city where commercial land is always at a premium and I think you can see why it's not a viable

• Like 2