So, is this a scam?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Pangit said:

Hahahaha.

which one are you?

Cheers mate. Thanks for lifting my spirits guys...

lol, none of those but a clue here :smile:

special.jpg

• Like 2

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I know mate.

I was a founding member and supermod at thaivisa from '03 until recently, I was also admin at bearpit.whatever so I am fairly forum savvy, invision anyway.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are people who have had their electric meter "fixed" to read less than they actually consume in electricity.  Its not legal, of course, but if a previous occupant in your house had done that then he is highly unlikely to have it "unfixed" when he moves out.

It then becomes your problem. If you are caught with a "fixed" meter then it would not surprise me to find the electric company cutting off your power until you prove it was not your fault and get a correct meter installed.

The telling part is that the repairman was willing to turn the power back on for a little bit of graft, so its quite likely he's the one who fixed it in the first place.  Proving that will be a chore.  You'll have to tread carefully here.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The Philippines lives on paperwork. Ask to see the work order. If he comes back and asks for payment, ask to see the bill and for a receipt.

• Like 3

Pangit
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are people who have had their electric meter "fixed" to read less than they actually consume in electricity.  Its not legal, of course, but if a previous occupant in your house had done that then he is highly unlikely to have it "unfixed" when he moves out.

It then becomes your problem. If you are caught with a "fixed" meter then it would not surprise me to find the electric company cutting off your power until you prove it was not your fault and get a correct meter installed.

The telling part is that the repairman was willing to turn the power back on for a little bit of graft, so its quite likely he's the one who fixed it in the first place.  Proving that will be a chore.  You'll have to tread carefully here.

I think this might be likely, our bill is roughly 1k per month with 2 aircons running 24/7, lights on all the time to make sure there are no ghosts etc.

Our neighbours who do not use a/c pay double what we pay. I must admit I chose ignorance for the last year we have been here, enjoying a low monthly bill.

But the guy now took the 1k, he removed the frig in the meter, so I dont think there will be any further issue, as he will be implicated too.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Look at it this way... you will still come out better in the end!

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

You were scammed. How do you retaliate and prevent being scammed a second time?

I would file a complaint wit the power company stating that the person demanded P5,000 and you gave P3,000. Assuming the supervisors are in cahoots, the guy gets it for telling them it was only P1,000. The usual cut is 50/50 so if he has to give others P1,500, it's a net loss. The guy won't be back. You will also feel better having outsmarted a con artist.

Brilliant!

• Like 2

Pangit
Posted
Posted

My Wife and I have talked about this now.

I am by far not a religious guy, I think religion, by definition is deplorable. 

However, I do try ti live my life by lessons learnt, even if those lessons are from the bible.

Romans 12:21 says something about fighting evil with good.

These buggers will not fool me again, and as we have done nothing wrong we will stand our ground.

1k lost, lesson learnt. The next person to come here will still be treated well, but also with suspicion

• Like 2

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Or perhaps I am wrong.

• Like 1