So, is this a scam?

Pangit
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Next time come out armed with a camera or better a video records and record him up the pole, and other identifiers and go to the electric supplier with the information.  But then again, good luck with that one I would think.

Wow.

Alert everyone, this is definately a scam, with preparation for the next ohase of the shakedow.

See attached picture, whether he was a Davao Light employee or not, he left the meter without a seal. 

Strange thing about it is that I saw him put the seal on the meter, checking today the meter is unsealed and therefore illegal.

we had the house owner here today and she has promised to get everything fixed with Davao Light asap.

But I am concerned. With an unsealed meter we are wide open to any threat of legal action against us.

am I correct? Or am I stressing about nothing?

20160918_152549.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Pangit said:

But I am concerned. With an unsealed meter we are wide open to any threat of legal action against us.

Well my Friend you would have to find some answers to a few Questions.

Did you have a look around to see if there is a discarded one?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Pangit said:

With an unsealed meter we are wide open to any threat of legal action against us.

That would be a first.  More likely they would just cut off your power like they do to everyone else who is stealing it.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Pangit said:

I think let the homeowner sort this and stay clear. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Pangit
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think let the homeowner sort this and stay clear. :tiphat:

Yeah, agreed.

I just hope she does it quickly. All the neighbours agree that somehow it has become known that a foreign guy lives in this house and this guy has taken advantage.

so, not really complaining. Just asking for advice and giving a heads up to our fellow punters.

JGF, should this be in the scam section?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Pangit said:

JGF, should this be in the scam section?

Well maybe not yet as nothing is proven at this stage but either way it's still part of life as an expat :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Pangit said:

should this be in the scam section?

Have you now talked to the power company and established that it is a scam?  I can see you have a meter without a seal.  You mention a rep from the power company had his hand out for graft. You commented that your power bill is less than you know it should be.

That's not a scam.  Its business as usual in Philippines.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think you may have had a neighbour complain that your Bill is lower than theirs and they don't have the things you do.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Pangit said:

Wow.

Alert everyone, this is definately a scam, with preparation for the next ohase of the shakedow.

See attached picture, whether he was a Davao Light employee or not, he left the meter without a seal. 

Strange thing about it is that I saw him put the seal on the meter, checking today the meter is unsealed and therefore illegal.

we had the house owner here today and she has promised to get everything fixed with Davao Light asap.

20160918_152549.jpg

The house owner needs to report it. If the owner reports it before the shakedown artist, I think it will be over quickly. Just remain calm.

• Like 2

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Update.

The owner called me today asking me to wait.

She has a cousin that works for Davao Light, he told her there is no report regarding our meter, he told us to do nothing, wait until he comes back for the next money installment and for me to get his picture so Davao Light can investigate, ofcourse they told us to pay nothing, get his picture and basically tell him to f off.

I dont like this, I dont want to get involved with any of this cr@p. We both just want a simple life. 

With Duterte killing everyone, scams like this, the cr@p Mrs has to put up with due to being with a foreign (not to mention the daily disrespect I get, my name isn't joe, and how rude, I am not americano). Maybe we should leave. I have a house in Sriracha Thailand, a house in Batam  Indonesia. I have lived in Asia since 1996 but I have never had this kind of overt racism (I speak Thai, so am aware of how Thais talk about us when they think we do not understand) nor had this kind of scam before. Am I being too sensative? Help guys, I am feeling really disallusioned with the Philippines right now.

it seems to me the only positive is the ease of visa. Sorry guys, can anyone help lift my spirits?

• Like 4