So, is this a scam?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Pangit said:

Am I being too sensative?

IMHO yes.  Just let it go and see what happens.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:21 AM, Pangit said:

I am tired of being shaken down

So, is this a scam?--------Whelp, maybe yes, maybe no. You gave up the money so there is no way to tell now.

One thing is for sure, if any of us continue to be either intimidated and pay with out proof, or are to lazy to  do the research, demand ID and a receipt, go to the office, etc, etc, etc, once the word gives out a guy would rather pay off, it will most likely continue.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

No way to know the truth but I would also be highly suspect of the innocent Filipina. I agree she (who ever it is) could very well be the perpetrator in a scam on you.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hey really take a reality check, your far to sensitive. If your have lived as stated, many years in south East Asia,  speak Thai which is extremely difficult well.....How come suddenly being called Joe upsets you, find this rather weird to be honest. 

As in Thailand scams are not unusual here, you have received varied and solid advice which puzzles me why you in fact need it given your intensive history in SEA. It's not really such a huge issue. I would of gone immediately to the Barangay Captain, informed him, next to the head of the electric company.

Having just returned from Davao I consider it safe friendly and far nicer than almost any cities here. Sure holidays are different to living but please slow down relax na lang.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Pangit said:

not to mention the daily disrespect I get, my name isn't joe, and how rude, I am not americano)

Come on, obviously you never researched the culture very well. Most Filipinos think all whites are American. Joe is just a name that comes off the tongue left over from the war days. As you know, most in Australia say "hey mate", you may not be my mate but that wont upset you would it.

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Anyway, sorry about my outbursts. The owner is coming today with a Davao Light person. 

They have both called me today to make sure I dont let the the scammer inside my house, they say it is normal MO for him to demand entry to check what appliances I have, what kind of power usage I have. But it is really a scoping oit my stuff mission. 

The house owner has got me really worked up, they are freaking out over this and it has hed me stressed for the last few days. Without them stressing I would have just moved on from it but the owner is not letting this pass. Constant calls and messages to us.

Sorry JGF, if I crossed a line earlier, a guy needs an outlet sometimes to blow off steam. I hope you and the other forum members understand

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Pangit said:

Sorry JGF, if I crossed a line earlier, a guy needs an outlet sometimes to blow off steam. I hope you and the other forum members understand

A moderator has removed a post as it breaks our rules. 

• Like 2

usa32
Posted
Posted
On 9/16/2016 at 8:21 AM, Pangit said:

ng to think, with all the killings, with all Mrs friends thinking and begging for money, with all that is going on that maybe we should even leave the Philippines.

I dont know, but what happened today was such a downer, I am tired of being shaken down, I have an ex thai wife with 2 kids, a

Definitely sounds like a scam.

Today our power went off, just as I watching one of my favourite programs.

Mrs and I went outside as we normally do when we have a blackout (incorrectly called brownout here).

There was a Davao Light guy at our meter, he has removed the meter and was accussing us of tampering with our meter.

He said we have been stealing electricity and he has reported us, we will be prosecuted and subjected to a minimum 100,000 pesos fine.

WTF???

Mrs told him we need our power and he told her if we give him 1000 pesos he will re-connect our power and not report us.

Well, Mrs paid him the 1k and we spent the next 30 mins worried. But eventually we came to the thinking that it is all BS and we have been identified as having a foreigner in residence and are now a target for this kind of corruption.

I thought Davao was the safest city in the world? Well 800 people on numbeo and Duterte said so, so surely it must be true?

Do I need to move now? I dont want to because we both love this little house, it is falling apart but it is hidden, it is quiet, it has so far been safe.

We live a simple, uncomplicated life. We dont want trouble. Now I am starting to think, with all the killings, with all Mrs friends thinking and begging for money, with all that is going on that maybe we should even leave the Philippines.

I dont know, but what happened today was such a downer, I am tired of being shaken down, I have an ex thai wife with 2 kids, an ex Indo wife with 1 kid so I am used to shake downs, but not like what happened today...

Rant over

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Good job USA32.

did you actually have anything to say? Or just quote me.

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Cos I would be really interested in your input my friend.

Once again, I apologise for saying bad things about the Philippines in a previous post, it was deleted by a mod. It seems foreigners, just like Philippinos cannot have their own opinion in the time of Duterte. 

Must tow the line. Must say yes. Must not disagree. Must not say anything bad.

• Like 2