One aussie who wont be back

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What bothers me is the lack of recourse and accountability against those who lie. Especially for a foreigner. Unless those that lie do so in a very public case and get caught at it AND cause embarrassment for those up the food chain, there appears to be little recourse and as such, no reason for the police to not lie.

As an after thought, and using Duterte's push for ending corruption, I would at least make a complaint via the corruption phone number to draw attention to the police lying. Here is the interesting part.... 'we' know nothing about any individual police officer or prosecutor in this case. So there is a chance that these people have other issues we know nothing about or have further drawn attention to themselves in other matters. While a stand alone complaint against them for corruption may go nowhere, it is possible that once filed, it may be a catalyst against them for things we know nothing about.   

• Like 4

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, chris49 said:

So what's your problem? You posted above you are rethinking going here? And I have pointed out you can't come here currently because of her immigration status.

So what I get is. You can't come but you are thinking about not coming also?????

And good if you can foretell the future which no one else can.

Blah blah blah. So many American's are threatening to leave the Philippines. And how many have actually left? And how easy is that as a retiree with a Filipina wife and kids? Even you Richie had to get a guarantor in the USA and you are working age.

Well my wife is here in the USA on a spousal visa. I was not aware that she could not go back. But this has nothing to do with it. My point still stands that I would not feel safe right now going. I really do not know what you are talking about. Yes I am sure many Americans there not do not feel safe but the discussion was on innocent people being effected. Right? It had nothing at all to do with expats.

Whether I can go or not I am not so sure I would with the anti American bs that your politicians are spouting and the savage executions of people without even a trial.

chris49
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Richieboy67 said:

Well my wife is here in the USA on a spousal visa. I was not aware that she could not go back. But this has nothing to do with it. My point still stands that I would not feel safe right now going. I really do not know what you are talking about. Yes I am sure many Americans there not do not feel safe but the discussion was on innocent people being effected. Right? It had nothing at all to do with expats.

Whether I can go or not I am not so sure I would with the anti American bs that your politicians are spouting and the savage executions of people without even a trial.

I am responding to what you keep posting. And this is what I am talking about "I would not feel safe going right now"

I am a citizen and my son was born here. My wife is from the Philippines and immigrated here. We planned on going back so her family could meet their new relative. I am sure his grandparents and aunts and uncles would love to meet him.

You mean to say your take on the situation is that it's too unsafe for a Filipina and her son to return to the Philippines? Ok if you feel that way don't come.

There is absolutely no basis or logic for what you are saying. But per your postings you say it's unsafe.

I don't know of any case where a normal Filipino citizen is not safe returning to the Philippines. But you keep saying that is not.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Actually I said I would not feel safe with the anti American sentiment being pushed by some of your leaders.

I will ask you the question again. Are you for our against the government of the Philippines killing suspected drug dealers and addicts without any way of defending themselves legally?

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just now, Richieboy67 said:

Actually I said I would not feel safe with the anti American sentiment being pushed by some of your leaders.

I will ask you the question again. Are you for our against the government of the Philippines killing suspected drug dealers and addicts without any way of defending themselves legally?

That is clearly another topic. And if posted I will respond.

Kindly take into consideration that the Philippines is more than a retirement haven for Americans. There are 3 M Phil/Ams including retirees and dependent children born in the Philippines with a US Citizenship. Do you think this anti-American sentiment affects them in any way. In their daily lives?

Edited by chris49

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Ok, well back on topic..

Do you think the Aussie in the article getting raided for no obvious reason is related to the war on drugs?

I think it could be but then again nobody here most likely knows what he was up to either.

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, Richieboy67 said:

Ok, well back on topic..

Do you think the Aussie in the article getting raided for no obvious reason is related to the war on drugs?

I think it could be but then again nobody here most likely knows what he was up to either.

I think there is more to the story than what we have been told so far.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

There are places in any country that have elevated risks, and times that the risks increase. The places I frequent are not on that list, I have a peaceful life here. 

This is very useful feedback for future expats currently living outside the Philippines.  The news and information being feed to us often makes it seem much worse than it actually is.     

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

What I find interesting in this whole mock buy-bust operation is that both the Australian and Philippines media covered this story at the time the incident allegedly happened in late June-however from what I see (or don't see for that matter) is that ONLY the Australian media reported how this was man was set up by the Phl police with CCTV footage proving his innocence and subsequent acquittal. The follow up story 3 days ago would be the most important part of this story

The absence of the follow up story in the Philippines media where Filipinos go for their news-leaves them with a vision of an Australian drug dealer caught in the act of selling. Period. 

Maybe the court's decision is on the back page of some local article, but his innocence seems to be immaterial to local readers and the media.

• Like 3