Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

Don't forget the muslim were there first so who is driving who out. A concern in the west is that muslims, especially poorer muslims are having on average bigger families than the local caucasian population so they are simply out breeding them. That not about to happen in the Philippines.

Actually there were people there before muslim became a thing. That isn't an argument you can use with any success.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Reading in the news about the drugs and money found in Marawi. Makes me wonder if this is about the spread of Islam by these people or is something else on the agenda.

Or both! either way it is controlling the population.

In 2001, I was visiting Manila and people I met all were saying the same "Don't go to Mindanao"

These problems have been around for years, however there has been an upsurge, due to World Politics.

Question is where do you run to?

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Gratefuled said:

It shows The Philippines as your country of birth so you musty be Filipino. 

I am sure many members had a chuckle over this comment. Pray inform us where does my post indicate I am a Filipino 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

I am sure many members had a chuckle over this comment. Pray inform us where does my post indicate I am a Filipino 

It was in your profile showing the Philippine Flag as your country of birth - until you changed it to Kiwi...

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

It was in your profile showing the Philippine Flag as your country of birth - until you changed it to Kiwi...

Yes I noticed this after posting last post and are curious why it was so. Perhaps a mod can comment here.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2017 at 7:16 AM, RBM said:

No we are not in a combat zone, in perspective the horrendous violence is in just a tiny area of the country. For most of us it's life as usual, I have not been effected in my day to day life style. My financial  interest in tourism has been effected.

NPA problems have been on going for as long as I can remember, rarely does it effect foreigners. Personally during back country trail riding I have met many NPA and experienced no ill effects. Like many countries the Philippines has its share of problems, personally my feelings is this mess will be cleared up by months end.

With the now accepted help from the US and Aussie one could reasonably expect plans to be in place to stop or better  limit any contingency regarding younger Muslims becoming radicalized.

For me it's still fun in the Philippines.

I think this is a much more balanced view of what is happening there RBM and I agree with your summary. 

For economic reasons at least, this mess needs to be squashed as quickly as possible.  That is before we even start to think about the humane ill effects.

It is not an easy task, but agree the ends does seem near, how long that will last is another question.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Perhaps a mod can comment here.

If memory serves, its the default flag if you don't choose one.  But its been a while since I checked it.  Just goes to show we cannot believe everything we read on the Internet and why we should not let it upset us.  Because even people with the best of intentions may have made a slip.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If memory serves, its the default flag if you don't choose one.  But its been a while since I checked it.  Just goes to show we cannot believe everything we read on the Internet and why we should not let it upset us.  Because even people with the best of intentions may have made a slip.

Everyone makes a slip every now and again, just please don't show up to the next get together wearing a slip....

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

It showed the Philippine flag before you or someone changed it. 

I didn't notice any laughter. 

It doesn't matter subject closed as far as I'm concerned. 

• 4 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

2 Months Later and Duterte Still Defends Martial Law in Mindanao:

Jul 24 2017 05:59 PM

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday defended his decision to put the entire Mindanao under martial law as the terror crisis in the Islamic city of Marawi continues to rage.

“The battle of Marawi has dealt a terrible blow to our quest for peace,” Duterte said in his second State of the Nation Address.
“Alien ideology… has been injected to the local setting.”
Duterte said he declared martial law in Mindanao “because I believe that that was the fastest way to quell rebellion at the least cost of lives and properties.”
"At the same time, the government will be adequately equipped with the Constitutional tool not only to prevent the escape of rebels… but also to prevent them from spreading the gospel of hate," the Commander-in-Chief added.

Congress recently granted Duterte's request to extend his 60-day martial law declaration in Mindanao until the end of the year. This, after the government emerged victorious in a Supreme Court case questioning the proclamation.
The Marawi conflict has left over 500 people dead, mostly terrorists.
Fighting in Marawi City has been raging for two months, despite the fierce gun battles between the two sides and relentless aerial bombings by state forces on the terrorists’ hiding spots.
Duterte placed Mindanao under martial law on May 23 after Islamic State-inspired extremists laid siege on Marawi, one of the most important Islamic cities in predominantly Catholic Philippines.
The emergence of groups pledging allegiance to Islamic State has been considered the biggest security problem to face the year-old Duterte administration.