Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a chat with my favourite sister in law - she is a widowed teacher living in Molave, Zamboanga del Sur,  with three kids two of whom are over 18. Rose tells me that there is a 10pm curfew and that her neighbours, most of whom are Muslim (Maranons) have taken in many relatives fleeing Marawi, which is 100 miles to the East. She is not comfortable about the situation because of the tensions that will inevitably arise with the influx of people and the overcrowding.

So in her case the Martial Law proclamation has had an effect. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

KC813
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, ITGeek said:

One can't help but wonder the timing of the attack and DU30's visit to Russia.  This is the same time Trump's phone call to DU30 was leaked.  I can't stress enough about how one can easily connect the events to the US Deep State ("Black Hats").  There's quite a bit of foreign influence in the Muslim Autonomous Region and it's certainly not the Chinese.  Like Trump, DU30 is not paranoid if everyone is out to get them.

I'm not saying you are wrong with your inference, but as to the timing of the attack, we need to remember that this firefight was started by the AFP with a 'surgical operation' in Marawi in a failed attempt to capture Abu Sayaf's leader Isnilon Hapilon.  It was then the full Maute group mobilized and joined the fray.

Questionable mission planning?  Mamasapano redux?

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KC813 said:

I'm not saying you are wrong with your inference, but as to the timing of the attack, we need to remember that this firefight was started by the AFP with a 'surgical operation' in Marawi in a failed attempt to capture Abu Sayaf's leader Isnilon Hapilon.  It was then the full Maute group mobilized and joined the fray.

Questionable mission planning?  Mamasapano redux?

Did you see the twitter link in my earlier post?  It was a report of ISIS activity in that same area many weeks earlier.  In many of the pics, you can clearly see foreign fighters.  So this is more than the Maute group or Isnilon Hapilon.  They've been conducting terrorist training and ops for quite some time.  It's also obvious from their battlefield tactics they've got state level foreign advisers and financial resources. 

I agree, there shouldn't be any surgical ops by the AFP in future.  Instead they need to simply occupy the region and DU30 withdraw from Autonomous Zone treaty by the previous administration.

Edited by ITGeek
Adding comment
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
virginprune
Posted
Posted

Curfew from 11pm until 4am and no ID no entry imposed in Koronadal City from today. This is posted on the Koronadal City Facebook page. 

Please don't ask me to supply a link as I am a Luddite!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2017 at 8:06 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My brother in law is from Marawi, but has lived in Manila more of his life than Marawi.  We will never see it, as my wife refuses to go to any part of Mindanao.  :tiphat:

She is sensible Tim.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/19/2017 at 5:36 PM, mogo51 said:

We will never see it, as my wife refuses to go to any part of Mindanao. 

My wife does not refuse as she is from there and her family live there in Mindanao. If fact she will be going back next month for her father's death anniversary. Not all of Mindanao is a war zone. 

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My wife does not refuse as she is from there and her family live there in Mindanao. If fact she will be going back next month for her father's death anniversary. Not all of Mindanao is a war zone. 

Obviously you are correct JGF, but that does not stop me making a 'sensible' call and staying away - there are plenty of other places to see in the Philippines that do not have this sort of problem.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2017 at 7:40 AM, ITGeek said:

Did you see the twitter link in my earlier post?  It was a report of ISIS activity in that same area many weeks earlier.  In many of the pics, you can clearly see foreign fighters.  So this is more than the Maute group or Isnilon Hapilon.  They've been conducting terrorist training and ops for quite some time.  It's also obvious from their battlefield tactics they've got state level foreign advisers and financial resources. 

I agree, there shouldn't be any surgical ops by the AFP in future.  Instead they need to simply occupy the region and DU30 withdraw from Autonomous Zone treaty by the previous administration.

Yes, The ARMM should be dissolved but President Duterte was in favor of replacing it with the BBL. This would be worse because it would allow Muslims to rule the area under Sharia Law and not have to comply with Philippine Law. The Non Muslims now living there would be persecuted and forced to flee to Non Muslim area. Many already have.

If BBL is approved, it would be a new breeding ground for Muslim extremists from other Southeast Asian countries and Middle East.

Look for BBL in the News soon.

• Like 3