Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

One thing is for sure, this insurgency in Marawi must be sorted one way or the other before it spreads like a cancer.

This is just the beginning, I'm sure. Its like a test. Bring terror and destruction here like in Middle East. Many unemployed young Muslim men will become radicalized and become Jihadists. Nothing to really live for so why not. Vulnerable to brainwashing. 

Random acts of terror will keep the Philippine military and police busy. 

Then, there's the NPA to contribute their ambushes and kidnappings. 

We are in somewhat like a combat zone. 

But, " IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES"

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

This is just the beginning, I'm sure. Its like a test. Bring terror and destruction here like in Middle East. Many unemployed young Muslim men will become radicalized and become Jihadists. Nothing to really live for so why not. Vulnerable to brainwashing. 

Random acts of terror will keep the Philippine military and police busy. 

Then, there's the NPA to contribute their ambushes and kidnappings. 

We are in somewhat like a combat zone. 

But, " IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES"

No we are not in a combat zone, in perspective the horrendous violence is in just a tiny area of the country. For most of us it's life as usual, I have not been effected in my day to day life style. My financial  interest in tourism has been effected.

NPA problems have been on going for as long as I can remember, rarely does it effect foreigners. Personally during back country trail riding I have met many NPA and experienced no ill effects. Like many countries the Philippines has its share of problems, personally my feelings is this mess will be cleared up by months end.

With the now accepted help from the US and Aussie one could reasonably expect plans to be in place to stop or better  limit any contingency regarding younger Muslims becoming radicalized.

For me it's still fun in the Philippines.

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

In perspective, the radicals who want to set up a caliphate here will find it much harder than their failed attempts in Syria and Iraq. In those countries the majority populations are already Muslim and both are war torn with sectarian violence rife. Under those conditions it was fairly easy for them grab parts  for their own agenda. With the help from the west they are basically on their way out.

The Philippines, including Mindanao, are predominately Christian and they will not give up and fold easily. Marawi is the exception rather than the rule simply because it is a predominately Muslim city. I live in Koronadal which is over 90% Christian, there are Muslims living here and the numbers are growing but I don't believe they will ever be in the majority. 

We all must remain vigilant but sadly that is part and parcel of life everywhere.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

In perspective, the radicals who want to set up a caliphate here will find it much harder than their failed attempts in Syria and Iraq. In those countries the majority populations are already Muslim and both are war torn with sectarian violence rife. Under those conditions it was fairly easy for them grab parts  for their own agenda. With the help from the west they are basically on their way out.

The Philippines, including Mindanao, are predominately Christian and they will not give up and fold easily. Marawi is the exception rather than the rule simply because it is a predominately Muslim city. I live in Koronadal which is over 90% Christian, there are Muslims living here and the numbers are growing but I don't believe they will ever be in the majority. 

We all must remain vigilant but sadly that is part and parcel of life everywhere.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the comment about Muslims never being the majority. I joined the Armed Forces in the UK in the early 80's and spend a good few years in England, most of it in the South of the country but I used to travel via the Midlands a lot. I've seen areas where there were maybe a handful of Muslims and non typical white British people completely transform to where there are no white people. I've even been in areas for a couple of days and never heard English spoken. I'd say it took about 15yrs to completely change the demographics of some cities. The following pictures sum up the big change in the last 25 yrs. Might be slightly off topic but give it another 25yrs and stand by for Martial Law in the UK.  

police 1.jpg

police 2.jpg

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on the comment about Muslims never being the majority. I joined the Armed Forces in the UK in the early 80's and spend a good few years in England, most of it in the South of the country but I used to travel via the Midlands a lot. I've seen areas where there were maybe a handful of Muslims and non typical white British people completely transform to where there are no white people. I've even been in areas for a couple of days and never heard English spoken. I'd say it took about 15yrs to completely change the demographics of some cities. The following pictures sum up the big change in the last 25 yrs. Might be slightly off topic but give it another 25yrs and stand by for Martial Law in the UK.  

police 1.jpg

police 2.jpg

I agree that there a some cultural 'ghetto's' that have appeared in the UK but that is and always has been true. There are Jewish areas and West Indian areas that have been established for decades. To surmise that these cultures will become the majority is not realistically substantiated.

Anyway, my post was centred on my belief regarding the situation in Mindanao, the place I live and the opinions I have formed with discussions with the local general population.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

No we are not in a combat zone, in perspecti there ve the horrendous violence is in just a tiny area of the country. For most of us it's life as usual, I have not been effected in my day to day life style. My financial  interest in tourism has been effected.

NPA problems have been on going for as long as I can remember, rarely does it effect foreigners. Personally during back country trail riding I have met many NPA and experienced no ill effects. Like many countries the Philippines has its share of problems, personally my feelings is this mess will be cleared up by months end.

With the now accepted help from the US and Aussie one could reasonably expect plans to be in place to stop or better  limit any contingency regarding younger Muslims becoming radicalized.

For me it's still fun in the Philippine

It shows The Philippines as your country of birth so you musty be Filipino. Big difference from being a white Caucasian roaming around NPA occupied areas.  No, you are not in a combat zone yet. I was slightly exaggerating but you are a lot safer than the residents around southern Mindanao. Furthermore, this problem in Marawi is not totally new. Muslims are a majority there because they probably drove the non Muslims out. A fisherman from one of the islands below Zambaonga reported to the Mindanao Times newspaper that he had to move his family to Davao because the Muslims were forcing him out of his home. This is not new. It's been going on even before the "Moro Rebellion". So, while it may be "more fun" for you, it is not "more fun" for the people who have had to evacuate Marawi. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

It shows The Philippines as your country of birth so you musty be Filipino. Big difference from being a white Caucasian roaming around NPA occupied areas.  No, you are not in a combat zone yet. I was slightly exaggerating but you are a lot safer than the residents around southern Mindanao. Furthermore, this problem in Marawi is not totally new. Muslims are a majority there because they probably drove the non Muslims out. A fisherman from one of the islands below Zambaonga reported to the Mindanao Times newspaper that he had to move his family to Davao because the Muslims were forcing him out of his home. This is not new. It's been going on even before the "Moro Rebellion". So, while it may be "more fun" for you, it is not "more fun" for the people who have had to evacuate Marawi. 

Don't forget the muslim were there first so who is driving who out. A concern in the west is that muslims, especially poorer muslims are having on average bigger families than the local caucasian population so they are simply out breeding them. That not about to happen in the Philippines.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Don't forget the muslim were there first so who is driving who out. A concern in the west is that muslims, especially poorer muslims are having on average bigger families than the local caucasian population so they are simply out breeding them. That not about to happen in the Philippines.

The native Lumads were here first  before the Muslims. The Muslims started  spreading Islam in the Philippines all the way to Manila before the Spanish came. The only Caucasian population is the expats. The Filipino people are a mixture of Chinese, Malay, Spanish, and recently European. 

The Native Americans were in America before the Europeans. The Aborigines were in Australia before the Brits. No one drove anyone out. 

The "driving out" that I am referring to is when someone pressures someone to leave and abandon their home or suffer persecution.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

The "driving out" that I am referring to is when someone pressures someone to leave and abandon their home or suffer persecution.

Like the ME then EH?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Reading in the news about the drugs and money found in Marawi. Makes me wonder if this is about the spread of Islam by these people or is something else on the agenda.

• Like 1