Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

You guys got it all wrong, here is the Whales :SugarwareZ-004::SugarwareZ-005:

:hystery: Now mate, this is where you US guys let yourselves down, SPELLING :mocking:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Now mate, this is where you US guys let yourselves down, SPELLING :mocking:

Now now they are only colonials.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Now now they are only colonials.

In California, we're called colon-anals.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Lynn asked me to explain what an expat is.  As I tried to explain the difference between expats and immigrants and tourists etc, she quickly grasped that expats are just like Balikbayans who were not born in Philippines. . .  Yep  Off topic but I liked her analogy so I am sharing it over a nice glass of emperador.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It seems to me that most Filipinos are not aware of the world’s geography (with the obvious exception, being the Philippines).

Although I’ve repeatedly shown a virtual globe of the world to members of my wife’s family [to point out the existence and location of the world’s oceans, continents (with the names and locations of all of the countries) and islands (including the Philippines)] , I still get questions (from the very same people) that make me scratch my head—e.g., “can you drive your car from Washington, DC to Germany?”:89:

Is it really worth the trouble to explain geography, history, etc.? It seems to me that the average Filipino prefers to be blissfully ignorant of such things. Am I alone with having this belief?

P.S. I don’t mean any disrespect to Filipinos. I am just asking for a consensus of my opinion.

Of course you can drive from DC to Germany but it is the long way having to use the Mitsubishi Bridge and all. I used to love geography, learn it once and it is forever, then they started making new countries in Africa bust Europe back to more little places and Asia without the USSR that must be at least 12. Next thing they will raise the toll on the bridge.  Hope it doesn't price me out of trips.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jake said:

I also tried to teach my family distance vs time travel.  For example, if San Francisco is approx 800 miles from where we live (Moreno Valley, CA), how long will it take us if we drove on the average 70 miles per hour?

I gave up when my college daughter asked me what is average?  

She obviously is above average and could not relate.....and didn't need that credit to graduate. 

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Of course you can drive from DC to Germany Capture-2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture-2.JPG

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
made a mistake: too many images
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Believe it or not. There are people in LA who have never left the city and have no idea or care about geography. 

From what I understand,there is still a lot of illiterate people in the states. The southern states are like this and many joke about it. 

It's changing slowly but surely.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My stepson here has a huge map of the world that shows flags and information about the country.

He likes soccer and likes to point out where certain players home country is. 

If this is a way for him to learn geography, it's  a good start. Television is helping him a lot about current events and world affairs.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Capture.JPG

I drove the part of that highway between Fairbanks, Alaska and Edmonton, Alberta for decades.  That highway was proposed back in the '80s and is still nowhere near a reality.  That 25 miles across the Bering Strait is the biggest obstacle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing

When I read the wiki link I see that the crossing has been looked at, proposed, and dreamed of for over a century.  But all it is so far is a nice news story.  Kinda like Philippines when they come up with a plan to put bridges in here and there and they always fizzle out.

• Like 2