Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

(Irritates me to hell when I hear Americans saying 'Paris... France' ... like there really is another 'Paris' worth mentioning ?  :no:)  

Been there (Paris - the one in France) and I never speak of it (except for now), since I found it to be a smelly and filthy city with no charm.  The only place worth seeing in Europe for me is the UK, even with all of the troubles that it has... at least, I found the people to be friendly (maybe because they thought that I was a Canadian and not a Yank).  See, no matter where I go, I get misidentified, either as a Brit or as a Canadian. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

My brother used to run the British Embassy there (Paris). 

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That goes to show ya that expats should not teach Geography.

The difference is that in the USA, the Fil-Americans really do want to learn geography, especially if they want to become naturalized citizens.

Besides a map of the world, I also posted a map of the USA, which my wife is also eager to learn.

map.JPG

Unlike many other countries, the USA is full of hyphenated Americans.  The Fil-Americans, just like the Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Latino-Americans, Scotch-Irish Americans (and so many others) have a strong desire to assimilate and learn more about their adopted country.  I have had great success so far with teaching my wife about how to do things American style, such as:  washing clothes with a modern washer and dryer; cooking with 4 stove-top burners, oven, and microwave; using a vacuum cleaner (instead of a broom), etc.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, graham59 said:

My brother used to run the British Embassy there (Paris). 

If I may ask, what was his opinion of living there?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well ya see?  That goes to show ya that expats should not teach Geography.  There are at least 23 cities named Paris in America.

Hide contents

Here’s the full list of all the cities in America named after Paris:

Perris, California 
(The name is close enough)
Paris, Idaho
Paris, Texas
Paris, Arkansas
Paris, Missouri
Paris, Grant County, Wisconsin
Paris, Kenosha County, Wisconsin 
(I love that Wisconsin is so hungry to be like France, that they have two Paris towns)
Paris, Illinois
Paris, Tennessee
Paris, Kentucky
New Paris, Ohio 
(thanks to all the towns that use "New" in their name. Things might have gotten REALLY confusing if you named your town Paris!)
St. Paris, Ohio 
(I know I have the internet to look this up, but was Paris a saint?)
New Paris, Indiana
Paris, Michigan
Paris Township, Michigan
Paris, Ohio
Paris, Pennsylvania
New Paris, Pennsylvania
Paris, Virginia
Paris, New York
South Paris, Maine
Paris, Maine
West Paris, Maine 
(Maine gets the french fry. THREE Paris’)

There are at least 13 places in the US called Bristol. When I talk to people from Boston up through Canada ( yes it is on the map) to me they all seem to have a Gloucestershire accent which is used where I come from in the north of Bristol. In the south, they talk more like farmers. Years ago, Bristol, was the place ships went to to be repaired that is why you hear the term shipshape and Bristol fashion. Also, many pirates came from the Bristol area that is why you here arr instead of yes, as in Arr Jim lad.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Been there (Paris - the one in France) and I never speak of it (except for now), since I found it to be a smelly and filthy city with no charm. 

I traveled through there but didn`t stop but a friend of mine has worked there many times and he called Paris to the word the same way as you describe it. Even worse now with all the protests which are going on.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

If I may ask, what was his opinion of living there?

Well, that was his second 'tour of duty' there,  (his first was as a First Secretary) and I know he is fond of the place. Being bi-lingual English-French probably helps, as does living a more privileged lifestyle.  Retired now, and owns a property in the French Alps, for holidaying.   I must visit with him sometime !  :89:

My timing has always been wrong, so I've only ever transited through the airports in France. lol

Edited by graham59
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

When I talk to people from Boston up through Canada ( yes it is on the map) to me they all seem to have a Gloucestershire accent which is used where I come from in the north of Bristol

Could possibly explain why some Americans sound like Canadians or Brits :89:

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Retired now, and owns a property in the French Alps, for holidaying.   I must visit with him sometime !  :89:

Sounds like a brilliant plan if you ever need a break from the Phils. :smile:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Hah... I've been 'meaning' to visit with him in various countries over the past 40 + years !  Always preoccupied with my own adventures.  :biggrin:

• Love it 1