Have times changed for you

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The biggest change for me is the price of tea! I get my ID checked when I travel outside of Marbel now but that is only usually for immigration visits to Gensan.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I personally would not choose to make Mindanao my home, just for the extra potential for danger in my assessment. 

I can think of many other places in the Philippines that I would choose to live if I had choice. 

Here in Davao, one just goes on about their daily lives and hope no "brownouts"  or "water outs"  and if they occur, hopefully not for very long.

I think the biggest concern is that no bomb is set off near them when they are out and about. 

Crime goes on as usual but no NPA threat,,,, yet.

No insurgents either,,,,  yet.

I'm going to go watch Wimbledon now, C-YA

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Why would a war on drugs worry you, if you don't get involved in drugs?  Whilst I am not there yet, will be in a very short time.  

Nor do I live in Marawi, so that does not affect me either.  Just hoping DU30 gets just as tough on the insurgents as the drug dealer, if not more so.  

I see it as a shining light that there is finally an elected leader who is doing just that - leading.

Lots of things worry me that I am not involved it, 

It's good to be concerned about these things and knowing where not to go too, 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Here they don`t pussyfoot around with foreigners who want to change the laws. fit in or f off.I feel safer here and have had less crime committed against me or mine here than I did in England.So yes times have changed and for the better.If you believe everything you read on the news you must be mad.UK has issued a warning about travel for over here but no travel warning for London.They are starting to catch some big time drug dealers can the same be said for the UK.If you keep putting excuses in the way you will never do anything.

I would not call it excuses, but concerned is a better word.

Asking for other people's thoughts on living here or here and about potential problems surely is better then jumping in with both feet only to be told ,you should of asked us first we would have told you it's bad.

Plus asking these questions does get my thread count up and like count sometimes.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Been here in Los Banos since 2011 no problems, i am well known in the local Robinsons

All the Tricycle drivers know where we live and they dont try and rip us off

All our neighbours are cousins,second cousins,aunts etc.so feel very safe

The only problem we have are the young kids ringing the door bell and running off.

We now have a new cctv setup with one camera facing the front gate and the road.

As our house is at the back of the compound it saves us running down the stairs to 

Get to the gate and as the camera was pointed out to the kids no more knock down ginger 

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

I would not call it excuses, but concerned is a better word.

Asking for other people's thoughts on living here or here and about potential problems surely is better then jumping in with both feet only to be told ,you should of asked us first we would have told you it's bad.

Plus asking these questions does get my thread count up and like count sometimes.

Hi Steve. I can really empathize (this time) with your question. We are less than a month away from the big move. For years none of my friends or relatives knew or cared a damn thing about the Philippines, other than that's the place Dave goes on vacation and eventually that's the place he found his wife (they probably said worse).

But now with CNN and all the reporting on Du30, ISIS, etc. I get constant questions. I can tell my sister is worried. She looked up how close Dumaguete is to Marawi and panicked a bit. I told her not to worry; I'm more likely to get killed in a trike than by ISIS; somehow that didn't reduce her fears. Yesterday her partner messaged me about the earthquake in Leyte and was I going to be living close to that area.

So take the media with a grain of salt. Their job is to scare you. Don't let them. 

As for me? Momma - I'm coming home!

Edited by davewe
  • Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Just add my two cent's Steve, can't spell two penni'th :89:

The only change I have seen in 16 years visiting Philippines is the value of the Pound go down and prices rise slightly!

As stated there are other choices far away from Mindanao, but I think you will agree that the UK has it's own problems

which won't be resolved for quite sometime.

Now might just be the right time to consider EVR and GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:

• Like 4