Have times changed for you

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The more things change, the more they remain the same. 

Only big change has been the Rumble in the Jungle is getting closer to home. 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 7/7/2017 at 1:55 AM, stevewool said:

For the many folk who have been living over in the Philippines for a few years now has things changed and if so , for the better or worse.

A few years ago you very really heard anything on the tv here in England other then Marcos ...

I have been over here for almost 5 years.  Wow... time flies when you're having rum.  I am not sure how much you see in the news over there. I did not watch the news back in the old country and I certainly don't go looking for it now.

One thing you can count on here is that nothing changes. They are killing some drug users, but they will not stop the drugs. I still see less drug problem here than in Texas. It is just a political game.  The war on terror is going nowhere. We had a few guys one town over raid a police station, handcuff the cops, and steal a bunch of guns and a patrol car - but the mountain bandits there have done stuff like that forever.  Nothing really new. They have said forever that Mindanao is unsafe - and it still is. Nothing new there.

Day to day living nothing has changed. Except the exchange rate has gotten better for me (peso has fallen) and some prices have lowered as well; taxis, jeepneys, and some of the fast food joints all lowered prices. Oh, one thing, they got rid of the "Express Lane Fee" at immigration so now they just added an optional bribe to expedite the work. So the price is exactly the same, but now it feels dirtier ha ha.  No. Nothing changes here.  :tiphat:

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, intrepid said:

Don't believe all you read in the papers or see in the news. 

Nothing changing here but the time!

Mike J says not:popcorn:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Good Topic Steve, For me, little has changed in the 10 years I have been here in Southern Negros, mainly because there was little problem to change, We suffer the same Law stupidity as other places but not the problems suffered in other places (So we are told) Dumaguete has an understanding  tolerance of a Religion that seems to be in the news a lot causing problems, it is not apparent here and in the main, Our City members of that Division of Religion are mainly law Abiding and carry out their daily life as we Do, Unhindered. Not to dwell on this but I feel good to mention. My Daughter tells us that they have 6 ( Muslim Teenagers) in her Senior High and all are good Students, Honest, Hard working for their K12 programme. Standing and Singing the Anthem with all other Students when asked to.

She went on to say that they mix well with everyone & mainly only get together  (The 6) at prayer time and Meal times. I know we can all shout the Odds on issues that concern these people and I for one get appalled at things that happen BUT these things are not happening in our Area and as long as the Island Government are as Vigilant as they say we should be, It may stay that way.

So my friends I have (as someone already said) never felt unsafe so things have not changed.

Then I have always tried "Not to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, saying the wrong things to the wrong people"

Muggings & such are happening all over the World so here in the PI it is no Different, Most of us are Low key yet want to be known in your own Local, This is a good thing to me,

You could of course go on for a long time on this but in the main Steve, Not a lot (If anything) has changed OH! OH! did I mention that beer sori sori.jpg went up 1 peso a bottle last month:hystery: That was a Change I could have done without:whistling:

Jack:shades:

Morning All:photo-109:

Beer price increases are the most serious change Jack.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

changed OH! OH! did I mention that beer sori sori.jpg went up 1 peso a bottle last month

:Caught: OHHHH NOOO

:huh-huh:  A whole Peso?????  What's next ??  

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gratefuled said:

:Caught: OHHHH NOOO

:huh-huh:  A whole Peso?????  What's next ??  

Nothing is sacred anymore.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Nothing is sacred anymore.

"sacred"  ???  

I do not worship booze.

I get high on double Espresso. (wired ):hello:

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Have the times changed me? Short answer is No. I feel no need to think about plans to leave, knowing what I know now I would still come here. Maybe would have brought a few more decent razors (for shaving) and a couple bags of cheez itz but no additional safety concerns.

• Like 4

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

MrT, how are schools for your 12 yr old?  Curious as that'll be huge consideration for us once we move there with then 3 yr old and figure by age 10 we'll have decide on return to US or not for grades 6-12.   Thnx.