Renting v Owning

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Congratulations! We too had a similar decision to make. While we intend to buy or build we both felt more comfortable renting for a year just to get the lay of the land and make sure we knew which town or neighborhood was best for us. We also just did the furniture and appliance thing and "overbought" with an eye on what would work down the road.

One thing that may have changed in my thinking is to buy or build. I always assumed I would buy an existing house, probably from a foreigner getting out of Dodge and needing my cash. I did not want to go the route of supervising construction. But I have seen and spoken with several Western developers and for the price might go that route, giving Janet an opportunity to design her own thing and yell at the crew (instead of me lol).

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Wow Ron,  there aint no flies on you mate, Lol.  New car and now a new house,  well done mate, very pleased for you and your missus, you sound really happy, I hope it all works out for you, you certainly seem to be a man on a mission, Lol.  Congratulations.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well done Ron! Very best of luck to you both. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Fast work! I rather doubt I would do half as well.:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, robert k said:

Fast work! I rather doubt I would do half as well.:thumbsup:

:ohmy:  Absolutely! Goes me too :smile:

1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

The deal I  negotiated made the decision a 'no brainer' and only brought forward what I intended to do within the next 12 to 24 months anyway,

RON, I raise my hat to you Both :tiphat:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Congratulations. You've got the added bonus of a long term loving wife. Onwards and upwards as they say. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, davewe said:

Western developers

Dave, what do mean by this?  I also need to start meeting some builders.

davewe
Posted
Posted

With one exception all the developers I spoke or met with were Westerners. 1 was Filipino. I don't want to get into the argument about Westerns vs. Filipinos but I know that many guys want the construction done to Western standards and therefore might feel more comfortable with an American or European developer.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, davewe said:

With one exception all the developers I spoke or met with were Westerners. 1 was Filipino. I don't want to get into the argument about Westerns vs. Filipinos but I know that many guys want the construction done to Western standards and therefore might feel more comfortable with an American or European developer.

I didn't really know there were Western developers.  How did you find them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1