ECC Confusion

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/27/2017 at 7:57 PM, Jack Peterson said:

A little like our Driving licences, Mine almost One year "WOT No plastic, Plenty in the Sea I read :SugarwareZ-005:

I'm sure this is good topic for mod or admin to move to LTO section.  Here's my experience:

I went to LTO over 6 mo's ago and they wouldn't issue me a license unless I could prove I would be in PI's for at least 1 yr.  This even after I showed them my passport stamps I've spent most of past 2 yrs in PI's.  Another expat had a Balikbayan Visa stamp and they were denied for same thing.

How does one "prove" they intent to stay in country at least 1 year?
What does a foreigner do after 90 days and LTO won't issue them a license?

In my case for now, I just drive (motorcycle mostly, rarely borrow car) and only have my US/CA driver's license and ACR (tourist) card.  I've been only stopped once by traffic enforcer last year for going wrong way on one way street.  Neither me or my asawa riding on back of scooter were wearing helmets.  I had ordered Snell approved helmet that would also fit me.  None of local shops had any that fit my pumpkin sized head.  He asked for my license so I gave him my foreign license.  I just acted stupid, told him I was there as tourist and my asawa talked to him and let us go with warning.  What's funny is one week later my bayan (brother in law) got 200p fine for same thing and didn't have license.  

Once I get my ACR-I card, I'll try again at LTO for foreign license conversion.  Can't figure out what foreigners are supposed to do after 90 days, when they can't prove to LTO they'll be here for 1 yr.

You mention it's a paper instead of plastic license?  Is it legal to have them laminated?

Edited by ITGeek
changes

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

You mention it's a paper instead of plastic license?  Is it legal to have them laminated?

Its just an official receipt on computer print out.  It says you have paid for a license.  Its not really a license so pointless to get it laminated.  You cannot use it for ID or for any other reason than to show the cops you have a license "on the way"

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I showed them a deed of sale for an apartment I'd bought and received a licence on a 6 month tourist visa. Chances are a foreign licence would be OK as even LTO don't know the rules :89:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

"Can't figure out what foreigners are supposed to do after 90 days, when they can't prove to LTO they'll be here for 1 yr."

I guess their thinking you are only here as a tourist so 90 day should be plenty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gary D said:

"Can't figure out what foreigners are supposed to do after 90 days,

Apply with proof of intent ( a Legal Lett Agreement) a BB stamp in your passport or Evidence of a 13a  application :smile:

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Apply with proof of intent ( a Legal Lett Agreement) a BB stamp in your passport or Evidence of a 13a  application :smile:

A BB on it's own won't count as they are looking for a total of 13 months, BB is only 12.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gary D said:

A BB on it's own won't count as they are looking for a total of 13 months, BB is only 12.

Many have done it because some LTO's offices are  manned by people that are not STUPID :huh: believe it or Not:whistling:

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2017 at 6:39 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its just an official receipt on computer print out.  It says you have paid for a license.  Its not really a license so pointless to get it laminated.  You cannot use it for ID or for any other reason than to show the cops you have a license "on the way"

Kind of like my I-card situation.  Pay, wait and wait and wait... :whistling:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2017 at 6:23 PM, ITGeek said:

I'm sure this is good topic for mod or admin to move to LTO section.  Here's my experience:

I went to LTO over 6 mo's ago and they wouldn't issue me a license unless I could prove I would be in PI's for at least 1 yr.  This even after I showed them my passport stamps I've spent most of past 2 yrs in PI's.  Another expat had a Balikbayan Visa stamp and they were denied for same thing.

How does one "prove" they intent to stay in country at least 1 year?
What does a foreigner do after 90 days and LTO won't issue them a license?

In my case for now, I just drive (motorcycle mostly, rarely borrow car) and only have my US/CA driver's license and ACR (tourist) card.  I've been only stopped once by traffic enforcer last year for going wrong way on one way street.  Neither me or my asawa riding on back of scooter were wearing helmets.  I had ordered Snell approved helmet that would also fit me.  None of local shops had any that fit my pumpkin sized head.  He asked for my license so I gave him my foreign license.  I just acted stupid, told him I was there as tourist and my asawa talked to him and let us go with warning.  What's funny is one week later my bayan (brother in law) got 200p fine for same thing and didn't have license.  

Once I get my ACR-I card, I'll try again at LTO for foreign license conversion.  Can't figure out what foreigners are supposed to do after 90 days, when they can't prove to LTO they'll be here for 1 yr.

Yes and this is where it gets stuffed up as now EEC which is immigration and now has gone to a different topic so new comers or guest reading have no idea. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Good news!  I was dreading traffic in Metro Manila after lifting of road closures for ASEAN summit.  We left Cabanatuan at 2am on provincial bus and arrived at bus terminal in Pasay at 5:30am.   It took us longer to go Pampanga/Angeles last month than Pasay!

I left asawa and luggage at Sea Residences near MOA to rest while I went to BI office in Intramuros.  I was 6th in line when they opened.  I was handed off from window to window, some nice people allowed me to cut longest line because I was using my cane.  Then after paying fees for waiver/ECC I went to 2nd floor,  waited about an hour and received my clearance by 10am!

So thankfully, my asawa and I have been able to spend a couple days relaxing before my flight leaves on Sunday and she returns to Cabanatuan.  It cost P510p for waiver and P1670 for ECC.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and help! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1