Exercise is a dirty word I know... but....

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

One aspect of living in the Philippines I find a constant challenge is walking for excercise.. 

When I rented in Avida Towers in Cebu there was a excellent walking/jogging track through the garden beds around the towers. Plus a swimming pool. 

Moving to Dumaguete the first year I walked the boulevard before the sun got too hot. Have since moved to a small sub division further out of town in Talay and nearly every house has dogs straining on ropes tied to a tree or worse running loose in front of their owner's houses barking at you. It is not a nice walking environment! The main road outside is very busy traffic and diesel exhast wise (even face masks are challenged) with no pavements of course so not another good walking environment! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Options..get up at sunrise and drive to the boulevard to walk.. not keen on the end of the day walking there as whilst cooler the buses and truck fumes are full bore.

I try to walk around town whenever I can which helps.  Anyone got a tread machine they want to sell? 

How do forum members manage exercising here in the Philippines? Particularily interested in members options living in Duma. 

Mike

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our house is right at the back of a subdivision that's right on the far edge of Cagayan De Oro so the only real traffic we get is when school starts, at school lunch and when school finishes.  SWMBO and I walk chum chum (our labrador) in the morning after the schools have started.

SWMBO did try a local gym but it wasn't very well ventilated and no AC so it was pretty hot and unpleasant when exercising.

But maybe you could find a better gym and go there?  

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Our house is right at the back of a subdivision that's right on the far edge of Cagayan De Oro so the only real traffic we get is when school starts, at school lunch and when school finishes.  SWMBO and I walk chum chum (our labrador) in the morning after the schools have started.

SWMBO did try a local gym but it wasn't very well ventilated and no AC so it was pretty hot and unpleasant when exercising.

But maybe you could find a better gym and go there?  

Good point Geoff... yes a gym would do the trick.

I like walking as aged 72 now and prefer more gentlle and no cost exercise:dance:. But a gym would overcome many of the environmental problems. Will check local gym prices. Cheers

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I've been using the 12 oz. lift method since I was a teenager. Will be 67 this year so it must be working!:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We live in a rural barungy and I boxed up my mountain bike which I use first thing in the morning to do a 6 mile circuit of the rice fields. Our second place is in the mountains near Amlan and hopefully I will use it there when we stay for longer periods. Will also bring my road bike when we travel to the Philippines later this year.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ozemike

At 72 you should be looking to maintain muscle so I would prescribe an early morning, low weight,  Full body, HIIT training program every other day. This could be all over in 20 minutes. Buy a set of 10 to 20 kg dumbbells and either an inflatable exercise ball or bench and do the following:

- Dumbell Chest Press x 3 sets - 15 reps no rest, do one set then to next exercise below until both have 3 sets completed

- Dumbell Squats x 3 sets - 15 reps. As you have done chest set before the blood will flow from chest to legs making the heart pump

- Dumbell Curls x 3 sets - 15 reps, straight into 

-Dumbell alternate leg lunges x 3 sets - 15 reps (each leg). Again Curls is upper and lunge is lower so blood will move pumping heart

-Tricep dip using bench x 3 sets - 15 reps

- Shoulder press x 3 sets - 15 reps

- Finish with Ab crunch and one minute Ab Plank

This will work up a sweat, be over quickly, pump your heart and can be done alternate days.

OR - chill out and have a drink.

Just my advice and its free!!!! I am 54 and use the gym 5 days a week. Muscle burns fat all day and a High Intensity, Interval Training gets your system going better than a couple of hours walking. By the way, as I am still working, I used to make excuses that I had no time and I never went after work as too tired. My solution, get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour earlier and now I am in the gym at 445am and out by 515am and it is OVER. I can't say I like the gym but I do LIKE the feeling that before most people have woken from their dreams of sleeping with the wife's cousin, I have finished my workout.

Paul

Edited by PaulB
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Now 67,  and still basically fit, and not overweight either.  I used to be a regular gym-goer a few years ago, and my son is a serious body-builder, but sadly, some of us have to be careful now,

My little problem is an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, which precludes 'strenuous' exercise.

I make do with DIY,... sawing and hammering, etc, and a good 2-3 mile walk into town, when feeling energetic. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OzeMike said:

One aspect of living in the Philippines I find a constant challenge is walking for excercise.. 

Anyone got a tread machine they want to sell? 

I have a cross trainer, but try to get in the balikbayan box would be tricky.

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Ok I am not there, but I exercise in the house here in England, sit ups , stretching and jogging on the spot, then I have the cross trainer too, we try to get out and walk too, we have a bike but it’s a ball ache getting from the shed through the garden ,then through next doors garden then through the alleyway then into the street, I recon just getting the bike in and out would keep me fit.

Where ever we will call home in the near future we both tend to be active doing outside pursuits , or just drive there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1