NOISY DOGS

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

How to quiet a yapping puppy.

We have an extremely wealthy somewhat eccentric neighbor. He has always been friendly and pretty much keeps to himself, about a year ago along with his snakes, poodles  and large reptiles he informed me of his intention to make an aviary  and hoped it would not disturb us. Of course we enjoy to wake up to sound of his birds tweeting.

Now fast forward to around 6 months ago he developed the front part of his lot to store some of his large collection of SUVs and and off road vehicles which never go off road, plus room for his toy poodles to run around. I chat with him time to time and mentioned please seal the fence, as it is (upright 10mm bars) maybe one of your poodles gets through the fence and out rotti will not like this. Yup sure, of course nothing happened.

I decided to buy some plastic netting and seal the fence as it was  potential problem. All good until I came back to find one of his poodles had just chewed through the plastic and entered our property, I tried to catch it, our rotti was faster, chomp…..With all my power I was unable to open his mouth, like jaws locked….Pretty much instant death.

The helpers of neighbor went into hysterics’…..I tried to ask for the wife as the guy always out, (my SO was away) she refused to speak to me. Managed at least to hand  the dead poodle to one helper through the fence. Eventually was able to catch the owner, he was very friendly, said yes you did inform me to seal the fence, no problem, next day fence was sealed.

Soon after this a large cage containing many small dogs including a non stop yapping Jack Russel was placed as close as possible to our bedroom, we have enough dog noise without this. Friendly conversation with  him changed nothing, it appeared the helpers were also enjoying our discomfort. From what I observe loud yapping dogs or barking do not effect locals in any way. My partner whom does not like it, can tolerate it.

So not wanting to escalate this what to do? I had previously used an expensive dog silencer which had zero effect.  Thought well cannot play the good guy for ever, the helpers always seem to sit directly in front of my computer, one is a buyot and very loud an strange. So…..went to Octagon in a mall and bought a silver tech speaker  which plugs into the PC. It has volume enough.  Once the Jack Russel starts I just switch on 4 hours of OPERA  music loudly……Normally this is not enjoyed by locals…..After a day or two we noticed less and less yapping…..Now fast forward a couple of weeks and zero yapping……Of course this could start again any time how ever for now we are enjoying the peace.

Have not run into neighbor for a few weeks, he does wave on road when we are passing.

Edited by RBM
spelling
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Time to move house.

Probably better for both of you. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, graham59 said:

Time to move house.

That`s ok if you`re renting but he owns the house. I would go to the estate managers first and then to the Barangay captain if that failed. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, RBM said:

How to quiet a yapping puppy.

We have an extremely wealthy somewhat eccentric neighbor. He has always been friendly and pretty much keeps to himself, about a year ago along with his snakes, poodles  and large reptiles he informed me of his intention to make an aviary  and hoped it would not disturb us. Of course we enjoy to wake up to sound of his birds tweeting.

Now fast forward to around 6 months ago he developed the front part of his lot to store some of his large collection of SUVs and and off road vehicles which never go off road, plus room for his toy poodles to run around. I chat with him time to time and mentioned please seal the fence, as it is (upright 10mm bars) maybe one of your poodles gets through the fence and out rotti will not like this. Yup sure, of course nothing happened.

I decided to buy some plastic netting and seal the fence as it was  potential problem. All good until I came back to find one of his poodles had just chewed through the plastic and entered our property, I tried to catch it, our rotti was faster, chomp…..With all my power I was unable to open his mouth, like jaws locked….Pretty much instant death.

The helpers of neighbor went into hysterics’…..I tried to ask for the wife as the guy always out, (my SO was away) she refused to speak to me. Managed at least to hand  the dead poodle to one helper through the fence. Eventually was able to catch the owner, he was very friendly, said yes you did inform me to seal the fence, no problem, next day fence was sealed.

Soon after this a large cage containing many small dogs including a non stop yapping Jack Russel was placed as close as possible to our bedroom, we have enough dog noise without this. Friendly conversation with  him changed nothing, it appeared the helpers were also enjoying our discomfort. From what I observe loud yapping dogs or barking do not effect locals in any way. My partner whom does not like it, can tolerate it.

So not wanting to escalate this what to do? I had previously used an expensive dog silencer which had zero effect.  Thought well cannot play the good guy for ever, the helpers always seem to sit directly in front of my computer, one is a buyot and very loud an strange. So…..went to Octagon in a mall and bought a silver tech speaker  which plugs into the PC. It has volume enough.  Once the Jack Russel starts I just switch on 4 hours of OPERA  music loudly……Normally this is not enjoyed by locals…..After a day or two we noticed less and less yapping…..Now fast forward a couple of weeks and zero yapping……Of course this could start again any time how ever for now we are enjoying the peace.

Have not run into neighbor for a few weeks, he does wave on road when we are passing.

Similar situation. Next door neighbors dog had puppies and after they started wandering around his yard he would whip them with one of the bamboo strips from the broom. you could hear them crying in pain. I got tired of it one night and called him out on it. Yelling match followed with him saying FU and me saying Putang%$#mo. Haven't acknowledged each others presence since that night 6 years ago. :2245_safe:

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Jesus you got away with that. If your dog killed any of our dogs then my wife would 100% have you murdered, wouldn't matter the circumstances lol.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Jesus you got away with that. If your dog killed any of our dogs then my wife would 100% have you murdered, wouldn't matter the circumstances lol.

If thats true, I suggest that you keep not only your dogs in a leash, but also your wife :wink:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

Filipinos can be very inconsiderate and horrendous at processing criticism. Kind of a tricky mix. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Can’t beat a nice opera .:thumbsup:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

Filipinos can be very inconsiderate and horrendous at processing criticism. Kind of a tricky mix. 

Pretty much like the rest of us then.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 3/29/2019 at 7:54 PM, graham59 said:

Time to move house.

Great advice. This situation and others like it are why I don’t think owning a home in Philippines 🇵🇭 is practical.

• Like 4