Can we really Save the Planet

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

II say we party like it's 1999!

The world has 53.3 years of oil left at the current rate of production, according to BP's annual statistical review of world energy. Just 53 years! From the report: Total world proved oil reserves reached 1687.9 billion barrels at the end of 2013, sufficient to meet 53.3 years of global production

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So it's not the planet that needs saving it's the human race.

:thumbsup: Now ain't the Truth Gary! :wink:

• Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

It's a lost cause. Sorry to say. Nobody that can really do anything about it really cares enough to go against the oil companies or the plastics manufacturers. People in poor countries could care less about recycling or solar power. That's how the vast majority of plastics end up in the ocean. The only thing on their minds are providing for their families. It sucks but I can't blame them. I won't be around to see the whole ecosystem collapse but it's coming!!!:facepalm_80_anim_gif:   

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

:facepalm_80_anim_gif:   

4 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's a lost cause. Sorry to say. Nobody that can really do anything about it really cares enough to go against the oil companies or the plastics manufacturers. People in poor countries could care less about recycling or solar power. That's how the vast majority of plastics end up in the ocean. The only thing on their minds are providing for their families. It sucks but I can't blame them. I won't be around to see the whole ecosystem collapse but it's coming!!!:facepalm_80_anim_gif:    

Now Ain't that the Truth, part two!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic but I think the planet is doomed.  By then we might have figured out how to get to another planet and start ruining it, unless we've learned our lesson.

I like this quote from "The Matrix".

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Dearie me, Fraser in "Dad's Army" had nothing on most of you lot. The Earth has been a ball of ice and a lot hotter than it is now (where do you think all the coal, oil & gas came from originally?) and will be again in the future. Humankind didn't have a lot to do with it then and won't in the future. Oil has been running out since the 70's but we still seem to have plenty.

What will humankind do? Adapt exactly like it has always done. Anyway, not my problem, I'll be long dead by then. Now if we want to have a discussion worth having it's what ties all this together: population control - but that's too politically dangerous for our great leaders to touch with a bargepole.

And yes, "renewable energy" makes sense when it's economically viable and there is no reason not to recycle or to keep our environment tidy. Littering is a pet hate of mine.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, DavidK said:

What will humankind do? Adapt exactly like it has always done. Anyway, not my problem, I'll be long dead by then. Now if we want to have a discussion worth having it's what ties all this together: population control - but that's too politically dangerous for our great leaders to touch with a bargepole.

And yes, "renewable energy" makes sense when it's economically viable and there is no reason not to recycle or to keep our environment tidy. Littering is a pet hate of mine.

population is expected to stabilize around 11-12 billion, should be manageable. 

It is economically viable in the Philippines, I installed 5kw of solar panels for around 220k pesos a year ago, it's saving me 6-7k per month. You could do it even cheaper now, I paid 6.5k pesos for 250w panels, I see them for 5-5.5k now. Would be a bit higher to have it off grid but still definitely viable.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

It is economically viable in the Philippines, I installed 5kw of solar panels for around 220k pesos a year ago, it's saving me 6-7k per month. You could do it even cheaper now, I paid 6.5k pesos for 250w panels, I see them for 5-5.5k now. Would be a bit higher to have it off grid but still definitely viable.

How much would you recon for off grid 5kw.?

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

You break even, in less than 3 years?