Little Miss Universe 2019 from Moalboal

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am sure the people here in Moalboal are going to go crazy over this.  She is certainly a beauty. 

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/233385/girl-from-moalboal-wins-little-miss-universe-2019-crown

CEBU CITY, Philippines — A 13-year-old Cebuana beauty queen has brought pride to the country after winning the Little Miss Universe 2019 under the Preteen Category held at the Tbilisi, Georgia, Europe on May 9.

In an interview with Cebu Daily News Digital, Sarah Nichole Filtness said that she is very happy and shocked that she was able to win the title. 

“I was so speechless. It was a mix of of emotion. I am really overwhelmed. I felt very proud. I do not know. I felt happy.  I cried because of all the hard work we did. I can finally say that I made it and this crown is not only for me but it is for our God and to all the Filipinos,” Filtness said. 

The Philippine bet also received Best in National Costume designed by Lyndon Adolfo inspired by the Philippine eagle.

What the 13-year-old Moalboal native learned from joining the pageant is to respect other people.

“Respect to each candidate who has their own personalities and culture. I (also) learned to be more confident in myself and more open-minded to everyone,” Filtness said.

Filtness has a Filipino and Canadian lineage. She is a Grade 7 student at the Saint Augustine Academy in the town of Alcantara. 

May Labrador, Filtness’ mother said that her daughter liked to join the pageants.

“She really likes beauty pageants so she asks me if she can join Miss Teen Basdiot Tourism 2018, so I was just behind here and supporting my daughter,” she said. 

Her first title was Miss Teen Basdiot Tourism 2018 in the town of Moalboal.

The other titles under her belt were Miss Malhiao Tourism 2018 in Badian, Miss Intramurals 2018 for St. Augustine Academy, and Little Princess of the Philippines 2018 first runner-up. 

Ervin Demape, Filtness’ handler said he was teary-eyed after the coronation because he knew that the pageant was tough.

“Grabe akong training niya from the walk, talent, and question and answer,” he told CDN Digital. 

(She had to train in terms of walking, talent, and as well as in the question and answer.)

Filtness will arrive in Cebu on May 12, Sunday. /dbs

Miss Universe 2019.jpg

graham59
Posted
Posted

Pretty sickening really, isn't it. Parading CHILDREN around like this.

No doubt some people will get a thrill out of it.  

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Pretty sickening really, isn't it. Parading CHILDREN around like this.

No doubt some people will get a thrill out of it.  

Then the powers that be wonder where the Trafficking Starts, Like most things, At home   :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm also in the camp where I think this is wrong.  Why not just let kids be kids.  She's 13 and getting brainwashed into thinking she's special.  What mental health issues will she have when puberty fully kicks in and her looks change.  I've seen it first hand in the West.  Little Prima Donas strutting around looking down on other girls then bang.  They age ten years in a few years and their bone structure changes, suddenly they're the ugly duckling who hasn't stuck in at school believing looks will be her fortune. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am in the camp where I believe members are over-reacting.  As this link shows, this kind of pageant goes on all ver the world.

https://www.pageantplanet.com/article/best-beauty-pageants

BUT what gets me is the pose on the bed!  Why on the bed?

• Like 3

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

My take is slightly different. The general population here just gets lost in superficials... Their goes the “pride” thing again...Living vicariously thru someone else... Not to mention I see reinforcement regularly that a full Filipina is less attractive then mixed. But other people don’t see it all as completely shallow, as I do. Coke and Pepsi. Everybody has different preferences. 

If they are going to do it:  Miss Walkable Sidewalks Pageant, Drinkable Water Pageant, Internet Choices Pageant.

Multitask!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am in the camp where I believe members are over-reacting. 

Sorry dave but we all have our Opinions and to me, they are in the main against this type of thing at that age regardless of "the rest of the world does so we should" more's the pity they don't Follow in other Things

JMHO of course :smile:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

where the Trafficking Starts

Jack, your previous post points out that we have a difference of opinion here.  However, my link shows that these kinds of beauty pageants go on in USA and UK also.  Does it result in Trafficking there?  Rhetorical as we know it does not.

My grand-children and grand-nieces in Canada thoroughly enjoy being part of similar pageants.  But they do not call them pageants.  They call them something politically correct like "talent contests" but somehow the prettiest gal always wins and they all go out to get dolled up in their finest.  The difference here, as I said before, is that dang bed.  If the "little miss universe" was posed in a chair I would see it as completely harmless.

And that is my rebuttal.  We can now agree to disagree :thumbsup: and I shall say no more.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Jack, your previous post points out that we have a difference of opinion here.  However, my link shows that these kinds of beauty pageants go on in USA and UK also.  Does it result in Trafficking there?  Rhetorical as we know it does not.

My grand-children and grand-nieces in Canada thoroughly enjoy being part of similar pageants.  But they do not call them pageants.  They call them something politically correct like "talent contests" but somehow the prettiest gal always wins and they all go out to get dolled up in their finest.  The difference here, as I said before, is that dang bed.  If the "little miss universe" was posed in a chair I would see it as completely harmless.

And that is my rebuttal.  We can now agree to disagree :thumbsup: and I shall say no more.

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am in the camp where I believe members are over-reacting.  As this link shows, this kind of pageant goes on all ver the world.

https://www.pageantplanet.com/article/best-beauty-pageants

BUT what gets me is the pose on the bed!  Why on the bed?

I have mixed feelings and most of it is based on age.

I really despise those beauty pageants with the very young contestants 5-6-7 years old all with caked on make-up to the max.  Remember Jon Bonet Ramsey?  And there was a reality TV show about it that just made me sick.  Probably mostly made up drama, but the mothers were disgusting pigs, and I am not just talking about their looks.  Their attitudes were despicable.

The girl in the picture is 13 so I'm not quite sure how she is "pre-teen"?  She is on the border of what I would see as an acceptable age to start competing in beauty pageants. 2 years older would be better.  We have had Miss Teen pageants for decades.

1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

She's 13 and getting brainwashed into thinking she's special.  What mental health issues will she have when puberty fully kicks in and her looks change.  I've seen it first hand in the West.  Little Prima Donas strutting around looking down on other girls then bang.  They age ten years in a few years and their bone structure changes, suddenly they're the ugly duckling who hasn't stuck in at school believing looks will be her fortune. 

That is a bit strong as a general statement but certainly may happen to a few.  I recall the top beauty in my junior high.  Very pretty and developed early, attracting lots of attention from the boys.  She was knocked up at 17 and married one of my deadbeat neighborhood friends.  Luckily, he got his act together and last I heard they were doing fine, well into their 40's.

Here is another take on it and particularly for Filipinos.  We live in a beauty pageant loving culture.  No way around it.  I live in Olongapo area, self-proclaimed "Home of the World's Most Beautiful Women".  As some mentioned, there are some negatives but also some positives.

Recently I saw pictures of the most recent batch of Olongapo beauties vying for one of the local crowns.  The first thing I noticed was, at least half did not appear to be the greatest of beauties, and a few, I would not say are not beautiful at all.  So why are they there?  In most cases these days, winning a pageant at any age requires a lot more than just sheer beauty.  You have to show some composure, ability to speak in public, not be shy, and at some ages, show some talent(s).  Singing, dancing, etc.

Based on my local experience, Philippine culture helps to develop those non-beauty assets in all kids, not just the beautiful ones.  Singing, dancing, public speaking, etc., are all taught at a very young age.  When kids learn some of these skills, it builds confidence.  And, IMHO, that is why I see non-beauties in the contests.  They have the confidence to give it a shot and take a chance to make their parents proud, even if they know their chances are slim.

My soon to be 15 year old has been at the same school since 4th grade.  All the kids participate in these onstage activities, no matter how good they are or how they look.  Only a few seemed to be shy a bit and the rest flourish in it.  As opposed to when I grew up.  I would say only a few loved to get up on stage and most of us had terrible stage fright!  These experiences certainly have helped the confidence of my daughter during the difficult teen years.

I have 3 girls so I take these things seriously.  I'm conservative with my girls.  My wife, like most Filipinas, dreams of her girls being in pageants.  Not a priority with me.  If they do well in school and get interested of their own accord, I might consider it when they are old enough.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1