Advice on what I need to do

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Heeb said:

Reading this thread makes me wonder how we got things done back in the olden days. I did a fiance visa for my wife in 1989 back when there wasn't loads of information on the internet, I just walked into an Immigration office in San Diego and asked for the paperwork, the instructions were on the forms, communication was mostly through snail mail because there were hardly any phones in the Philippines at that time. I don't remember it being too difficult on my end, more so on hers. The best part of the fiance visa is you have 6 months to decide if you really want to get married, unless things have changed since then.

K1 or Fiance Visa can take 6 months to a year to obtain and once in the US you have 90 days to get married.

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Heeb said:

Reading this thread makes me wonder how we got things done back in the olden days. I did a fiance visa for my wife in 1989 back when there wasn't loads of information on the internet, I just walked into an Immigration office in San Diego and asked for the paperwork, the instructions were on the forms, communication was mostly through snail mail because there were hardly any phones in the Philippines at that time. I don't remember it being too difficult on my end, more so on hers. The best part of the fiance visa is you have 6 months to decide if you really want to get married, unless things have changed since then.

Yes, things of course have changed A LOT since then.  (My first marriage to a Filipina was in 1991)

We all have to move with the times and keep updated with current requirements though, which can change from one year to the next.

First port of call should be the OFFICIAL government  'Immigration' dept website of your home country, if needing information on bringing home a Fiancee or Spouse. 

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted

I have Heard that they have closed the visa department to the embassy to Philippines. They are no longer issuing any visas whatsoever or administration has cut off their access to our country. If I were to move there will I still be able to Mary. When I applied for my marriage license there is that the same department that issues visas to Filipinos.

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted

I may have not made myself clear. I have known her for more than 2 1/2 weeks. I came there and spent 2 1/2 weeks with her. She is the sister to my friends wife. I am speaking with her now this year since my wife passed away at the first of the year. Had I not been married this would’ve happened a while ago. I always have wanted to move to the Philippines since I was in my 20s in the military.  Now there is really nothing keeping me here I have no children no family no wife. I am wondering though with the state department closing Their visa department, no longer issuing any visas whatsoever to Filipinos, will that affect me being able to get a marriage license. I appreciate all your help and your guys advice. When I move there I look forward to meeting you

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Ryan schroth said:

closed the visa department to the embassy to Philippines.

Welcome to the forum Ryan, my wife mentioned this to me the other day. I have not seen anything official but I am sure that a lot of us will be looking into this. Stand by for some answers :thumbsup:

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted

I just got off the US Embassy website. They say you go to the consular‘s office with proof that you were not married. You sign a sworn affidavit to your mental capacity and that’s what they submit to the Philippine Authority. Counselors office does not appear to have any ties to the office that issues visas to foreigners wanting to come to US. My understanding is it should have no effect on marriage license abroad

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, scott h said:

I have not seen anything official but I am sure that a lot of us will be looking into this. Stand by for some answers :thumbsup:

US immigration office stops Manila operations

(Philstar.com) - June 6, 2019 - 10:16am

MANILA, Philippines — The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services stopped accepting applications and petitions as it will be closing its operations in Manila.

The office will be permanently closing its field office in Manila on July 5.

"The US Embassy in Manila will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by USCIS to individuals residing in the Philippines," the USCIS announced on its website.

The USCIS started redirecting forms I-130 or petition for alien relative to the USCIS lockbox last May 14.

Following the announcement of the closure of its Manila field office, the USCIS posted new filing instructions on its website.

The USCIS, which operates under the US Department of Homeland Security, administers lawful immigration to the US.

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/06/06/1924121/us-immigration-office-stops-manila-operations#sOtJoFJQFrYtfj2z.99

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/06/06/1924121/us-immigration-office-stops-manila-operations

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, scott h said:

Welcome to the forum Ryan, my wife mentioned this to me the other day. I have not seen anything official but I am sure that a lot of us will be looking into this. Stand by for some answers :thumbsup:

I was also wondering if I had to stay there on a passport extension for The 36 months. I know I have to leave the country for how long before I can return? Also I was told I will refer to it as a residency tax. Since I am not a national that I have to pay the tax for every month I’m there. Is this true do you pay monthly annually how does it work if there is one? Thanks again.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Ryan schroth said:

I know I have to leave the country for how long before I can return?

Same day if you want to. 

Ryan schroth
Posted
Posted

Wow that’s good news . I thought it was for a period of time