Sour Cream

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Really? I have seen it at SR all the time, and walter mart SM and pure gold...…….it is not the type I am used to in the states....a bit watery but it works. 

Yeah, that's what I found - that Nestle's product. Not the best but it works if that's all there is. We just had baked potatoes with butter, cheese, garlic, sour cream and bacon bits.... I can already feel my arteries tighten, but they sure tasted good!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:
9 minutes ago, scott h said:

Really? I have seen it at SR all the time, and walter mart SM and pure gold...…….it is not the type I am used to in the states....a bit watery but it works. 

What's funny is that, when I really wanted to buy even that product the shelf usually seemed empty. When I don't really need it, there it is! I find that happens with a number of things I seek when food shopping...

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have not seen the thick kind anywhere in the Philippines but it seems you are not the only one to look for a solution to this problem.  Chef Google says:

Adding sour cream 1 teaspoon of dried and sifted flour and constantly stirring it, it is possible to achieve the desired consistency

https://howto-mantra.com/595-how-to-thicken-sour-cream-original-homemade-ways-t/

Let us know if you try it.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Adding sour cream 1 teaspoon of dried and sifted flour and constantly stirring it, it is possible to achieve the desired consistency

I don't remember exactly how to make the sour cream using yogurt, but it goes something like this:

Take plain yogurt and place it in a fine plastic mesh strainer over a catch bowl - uncovered and place in the refrigerator.

Water will drip out of it over time (I forget how long - maybe an hour?) and the yogurt will thicken.

Then add some maple syrup (this time I forget how much) and the taste and texture is indistinguishable from sour cream. I am sure there will be a recipe in Google for this. I had a book with the recipe but don't have it anymore. I think adding flour would change the taste and not blend in very well. But maybe I will try it if I get desperate. 

Another idea might be to just try taking the thin Nestle's product and simply putting that in the strainer to drain off some water? I might give that a try too...

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Right, now just got to find the plain yogurt and maple syrup :huh:

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

All I ever seem to find is the ubiquitous "Nestle" sour cream which tastes okay, but is runny and also has awful containers with lids that fall apart after a while in the refrigerator.

Why are some dairy products, so hard to find in the Philippines?  

Is because of the high prices, since most dairy products are imported?... (and high priced foods are not very sellable in the Philippines).

OR

Is it because one out of every two Pinoys suffers from lactose intolerance?

OR

Is it both of these reasons?

https://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent GAIN Publications/Dairy and Products Annual_Manila_Philippines_10-3-2017.pdf

https://www.philstar.com/business/science-and-environment/2001/08/13/129994/one-two-pinoys-suffer-lactose-intolerance

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The Nestlé sour cream I get I wouldn't describe as watery, it has the consistency of double cream. I use it in creamy curries, pasta dishes and with goulash. At P90 for 240g, enough for two sauces, I find that inexpensive for an imported product.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think adding flour would change the taste and not blend in very well. But maybe I will try it if I get desperate. 

I would try a dab of cornstarch rather than flour.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Is it both of these reasons?

Thanks for your ideas.

I don't know if I agree with your comment about the "high" prices of all dairy. I am sure it is expensive for so many of the poorer people, but I see sour cream fly off the shelf in stores. I mean it must be affordable to many because so often the sour cream section is the only one that is usually empty? But I agree that anything imported is going to be expensive to the average person here. My feeling is that the grocery store ordering process is often behind the selling curve and needs to either more to cover demand or order more often. There are probably also supply problems. remember where we are.

I just looked at one of my precious containers of Nestle Sour Cream (from the batch of 5 I bought a a couple weeks ago. It states clearly that it is actually manufactured in Pulilan Bulacan under license from Nestle, Switzerland. So no inflated importation price on this product, right?

I have no idea about lactose intolerance in Filipinos. I would never guess that from watching them drink 3-in-one coffee or simply dumping so much cream in their coffee (although they are probably fake creams?).

So Mark, I personally think the problem is just on the supply side for this product. Maybe someone should contact the manufacturer and inquire? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I would try a dab of cornstarch rather than flour.

Hi Mike J. I am not so sure cornstarch would work - doesn't it need to be heated to dissolve? Good idea though...